PDA

View Full Version : Help with How to drive a cat

575f
14-06-2015, 04:13 PM
​Hi Guys,

i have just purchased a markam dominator 5600 with twin 90 merc 2 smokes and After reading all the treads on cats Tipping over, I'm after some tips on how to drive it so we stay the right way up!

Regards
Matt

Cardy Wahoo
14-06-2015, 06:42 PM
575f,

driven with a bit of common sense you will never have a problem. Good bit of advice I had was to do large circles in increasingly windy conditions to learn how to trim motors to maximise hull in water ie leaning in to swell. Don't get sucked into thinking you can float across the water in 20-25s straight away. Take the time to feel the way the hull moves through the water in different conditions. I have a kc2100 and have never felt like tipping also with 90 2st. But having said all that wearing your kill switch cord on your wrist is good practice for unexpected moments.

Noelm
14-06-2015, 07:07 PM
What threads about cats tipping over?

Moejoes
14-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Hi 575f,
Your best bet would be to have a chat to Banana or Soulfish.
They both have cats and drive them really well.
Thanks Rob.

koastal
14-06-2015, 07:24 PM
I have owned a 7000 m markham whaler.
Trim out for downsea, trim in for upwind. Can crosstrim for beam on, more for comfort than safety

Markham whalers are aysymetrical so lean into turns.

As the other guy said I would love to see articles where cats have tipped over ?

Otherwise congrats and enjoy

snapperbasher
14-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Banana is good with weight distribution too hey Rob?...:-)...knows exactly when he needs you to stand right in the middle down the back......:-)

Moejoes
14-06-2015, 07:29 PM
Banana is good with weight distribution too hey Rob?...:-)...knows exactly when he needs you to stand right in the middle down the back......:-)

No comment...........:P

gofishin
14-06-2015, 08:57 PM
What threads about cats tipping over?

Try doing a search with "rollinator" in the title (or post). From memory this was in the title of one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back In Black
14-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Hi 575f,
Your best bet would be to have a chat to Banana or Soulfish.
They both have cats and drive them really well.
Thanks Rob.

Hey, what about me???

Oh yeah, thats right, its Juna you'd want to talk to;)

gofishin
14-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Here you go Noel...

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=112453

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=184809

And I think some cat roll overs may have been discussed in this one too...

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=140994

frosti
14-06-2015, 10:19 PM
those posts go back to 2007 , how many cats have you heard rolling in the last 8 yrs since ?

Flex
15-06-2015, 04:10 AM
In general I believe it's much harder to tip a cat over than a mono. Especially in a following sea, much easier to bow steer a mono and flip in a following sea than a cat.

As to driving them I think the number one tip is always keep the nose high no matter what the conditions. Don't trim your nose down into a headset like a mono, keep the nose up to allow air in your tunnel.

in a following sea it may take a bit more getting used to, but cats love a following sea, keeping enough speed the tunnel with cushion our landingcoming down the face of a wave and the boat should track straight ike on rails.(whalers may not be as good as other cats in this due to asymmetrical hull??)

in a head quarter sea. Trim the sponson hitting the wave first down a bit lower than the other but not to much or your tunnel won't work.

in a following quarter sea, what ever motor is getting hit first by waves trim that motor out so the opposite sponson if lifted higher in the front.( I feel this point is fairly important).

final tip is cats need speed to operate, so each time you go out need to build confidence with the goal of getting the hull up on the plane and working in conditions where a mono wouldn't be on the planet at all.. But this takes time to build, the confidence.

gofishin
15-06-2015, 06:58 AM
those posts go back to 2007 , how many cats have you heard rolling in the last 8 yrs since ?
Only two that I recall, but they were larger models, and both were due to a lot of water in the hull(s) - if I recall correctly.

There have been a lot of mono's on the other hand (all one brand, but that's not what this thread is about).
Cheers
Brendon

PS. Although there is probably a lot of crap in these old threads, there are some good posts among them - on how to, and, how not to, drive cats.

ShaneC
15-06-2015, 07:20 AM
All cats will lean into turns if you know how to make them. Ignore the mindset that you can fang them in any weather because you will quickly learn that you cant. Just take it easy and remember if you are leaning one way or the another in a beam on sea, small trim adjustments on the opposite motor is the best way to go. You can get yourself in a terrifying situation in any boat if dont watch what you're doing so take the time to learn your boat and you will pick it up in no time.....

Smithy
15-06-2015, 07:48 PM
A 7.2KC went over on Breaksea Spit in November just gone. I think Evolutions took over from Rollinators the last couple of years!

bannana
15-06-2015, 08:36 PM
An 8mtr sailfish rolled over at the entry to round hill creek a few years back and the three guys were rescued by a kid in a tinny. We came in shortly after it happened and it was dead flat no wind and bugger all swell. A few weeks earlier a coastal cat rolled over and same again we were out there that day and it was dead flat with about a mtr of swell. Both boats rolled over for what ever reason. All boats can roll but my opinion is a cat is more dangerous in an inexperienced set of hands than a mono. Especially if theres a step swell following sea on the rear quarter... Scary as hell when the skipper doesn't understand the basics of turning down the swell or trimming what sponson up when needed or even how to trim into a tight turn and then out of the turn!!

My advice is simple... Read what flex and Shane C have wrote because they are spot on. Then pm Soulfish to go for a run with you and pick his brains. He taught me and is hands down the best skipper I've come across mono or cat.. The guy really knows his stuff and is always willing to help others and give advice when asked.

good luck!!

Flex
16-06-2015, 04:16 AM
Question for those with whalers, do they lean out of turns if it's a gradual turn on the wheel? Or always inwards?

something I've been experimenting with only of late that's really helped my with a smoother/confident ride is working the sponsons of the boat in following /beam sea, especially on very trim sensitive cats which is typically anything under 6m.

if if the whaler always leans in this technique may not work.

eg. Following quarter sea coming from the port side. The starboard sponson at the front end will be exposed to the trough/hole of the waves first and the boat will lean over to the right a bit going over each wave.
i find a quick turn to the right as you come down the wave will bury the port sponson in the water and keep it in the wave a few seconds longer, which means the starboard sponson is out and in the air longer and doesn't bury the the hole as much.

so basically your steering the wheel left and right working the sponsons in/out of each wave as your go over them.

might sounds technical, but it really does work! Worked especially well on my little 5.2kc.

whalers/dominators this may not work at all if they lean in instead of out though?

Smithy
16-06-2015, 05:08 AM
The Sailfish cat at 1770 he tried to outrun the curler by darting off to the side and it got him side on instead of just taking it on front on. Excaserbated by then all the passengers, eskies etc. all going to the low side adding extra weight there which was too much for it. It was like a 7.5m Sailfish so big and tough enough to take on a little chest high curler as big as Round Hill Ck gets. The KC at Breaksea they still don't know what happened the boys. They were in the bar and were probably not in a gutter and were on the sand but same thing, that should have been big and tough enough to snake its way through regardless. One minute they were upright, next second they were upside down.

bannana
16-06-2015, 05:51 AM
Smithy,

One of the scarriest rides I've had was when I was first looking at buying a cat I took a dominator for a test run. It went really good threw the bay chop and I was impressed until I started turning the boat hard. At one stage I nearly rolled the thing with one engine coming out the water and a very scared salesman & myself on board. When it dug in man it dug in!! Although looking back I was really pushing it and turning really hard. If I was to own the boat I'd at least know the boats limitations and I doubt it would be a problem but I'd hate to off been offshore with a bit of swell running and done the same thing.. Just because it leans into a turn doesn't mean it turns like s mono.

gofishin
16-06-2015, 06:04 AM
...something I've been experimenting with only of late that's really helped my with a smoother/confident ride is working the sponsons of the boat ...

...so basically your steering the wheel left and right working the sponsons in/out of each wave as your go over them.. ... You've been 'walking the cat' Flex :)

gofishin
16-06-2015, 06:12 AM
... I was impressed until I started turning the boat hard. At one stage I nearly rolled the thing with one engine coming out the water and a very scared salesman & myself on board. When it dug in man it dug in!!...

Just because it leans into a turn doesn't mean it turns like s mono. Keith, when it dug in on the turn, was it the inside or the outside hull? i.e. bank in like a deep V mono, or roll out - opposite to what a Dom normally does in a tight turn?
Cheers
Brendon

bannana
16-06-2015, 06:25 AM
Keith, when it dug in on the turn, was it the inside or the outside hull? i.e. bank in like a deep V mono, or roll out - opposite to what a Dom normally does in a tight turn?
Cheers
Brendon

She rolled out mate!! Just like any cat. It started of leaning in and once it dug in it severely rolled out just like any cat that digs in. However I should note it was a good ten years ago I had had no cat driving experience and I was pushing it hard... Real hard. The salesman was inexperienced and the end result was I learnt plenty from a close call and after putting over 1000 hrs since then in cats I can honestly say it was 1000% my fault and not the boats.

outta line
16-06-2015, 06:39 AM
I have been looking to buy my first cat ...Has any one had any bad experiences with a glacier bay 2270 isle runner ???... Everything I have read and people I have talked too that have owned or been in one have nothing bad to say about them I know there not the quickest hull due to them being a displacement hull but I can live with that
cheers

Fed
16-06-2015, 07:12 AM
I think setup is more important than driver skill, a badly setup one will bite the best of drivers whereas a good one is very forgiving.

gofishin
16-06-2015, 11:24 PM
​Hi Guys,

i have just purchased a markam dominator 5600 with twin 90 merc 2 smokes and After reading all the treads on cats Tipping over, I'm after some tips on how to drive it so we stay the right way up!

Regards
Matt Don't be put off by the slight diversions in the thread Matt, it's been too long since we've had a decent cat thread to talk/post about. [emoji4] Plenty of good advice so far. Don't be put off by old threads or cats tipping stories. Yes, they can get into trouble, but then so can monos or tris for that matter.

And people that think their good old tinny is infallible think again. There have been unfortunate instances with these too, big and small.

And just like monos, one cat acts differently to another. What's more, even as they get bigger/smaller within the same brand, so to do cats act differently and behave differently in/to different situations.

By your Ausfish handle I assume you previously owned a 575F H/Sig with the VDH?? These hulls are fairly sensitive to trim if you want to get the very best out of the hulls - so this should have got you in the right mindset for cats - in comparison to more traditional 'point and shoot' monos.

Of course you now have a motor on each transom corner, and you will find that trimming the boat will act diagonally opposite to what you first think, but that's all in the fun of learning [emoji4].

I think Shane pretty much nails it here...

...You can get yourself in a terrifying situation in any boat if dont watch what you're doing so take the time to learn your boat and you will pick it up in no time..... Be cautious while learning, but not overly cautious as this will do you no good.

Take her out on a calm-ish day (10-12kn max), without family or mates who might have other agendas, with the aim of getting up some sea time without the pressures/expectations of keeping others happy etc.

Know your fuel/load levels on the day, and take a decent empty esky, one that you would take fishing, and some non-skid matting. 2 or 3 or 4 empty 20L water jerry's may even be better.

In a straight line, at say 20kn, find the neutral trim position for the donks, the sweet spot. Memorise this on the trim gauges. Do some turns, both ways, big/loose turns at first, then make them a bit tighter etc and get to know the feel of the boat. Speed up and down and do same (turns) again at different speeds. Remember, nothing drastic, slow learning steps. Repeat with both motors trimmed out a tad, then a bit more. Same for trimmed in a tad. Repeat with a bit more in/out.

In a straight line again, trim one donk a smidgen up, the other the same down/in. Note how this effects the lean/boat trim. With caution, try some very big circles, both ways. Try again during turns but speed up/slow down inside donk and note reaction. How the normal inward banking of Dominators react to these changes is an unknown to me, but you will need to find out, and better to do it under controlled conditions in calm-ish seas.

Also from what's learned above re different motor trims, in a straight line with seas from all quarters, learn how some trim combos make the boat go/feel better. Small trim adjustments - too much too soon may make you feel uneasy.

Fill the esky half full of water (or jerry's full etc), and place on the non skid mat, and repeat above. Then repeat with esky in different positions. Your 5.6m cat may be a lot more trim sensitive to weight location than your previous mono, so find out how it reacts.

When you have a good feel, at the neutral trim position take her to WOT and check the prop selections. Also at a good cruise in a straight line, test how far you can trim out before you start to ventilate (not you, the props [emoji1] ). It may take a while before you can test/have a feel for what Fed is talking about below, but it will give you a head start.

I think setup is more important than driver skill, a badly setup one will bite the best of drivers whereas a good one is very forgiving.

The above trials will give you a good start as to what may help/feels right/feels wrong etc with how she reacts. Use this as a guide in real situations and you will be on your way.

Get on line with Sea Media/TBM and locate articles from Peter Webster about cat handling, "walking the cat" etc, always a good read. He also did an article after some/all of the previously reported issues with the big Doms.

Have fun!

Cheers
Brendon

PS. It is actually a misconception that all cats bar Dominators lean out naturally in turns. This one below ranged from dead flat to a few inches banked-in, no matter how tight the turn, and without any trim or throttle changes PT/STB to compensate for lean. It's all in the hull design, some cats are different to others.

http://i929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/BrendonTait/PG/PGontrailer.jpg (http://s929.photobucket.com/user/BrendonTait/media/PG/PGontrailer.jpg.html)

Gr0wler
17-06-2015, 07:48 AM
An 8mtr sailfish rolled over at the entry to round hill creek a few years back and the three guys were rescued by a kid in a tinny. We came in shortly after it happened and it was dead flat no wind and bugger all swell. A few weeks earlier a coastal cat rolled over and same again we were out there that day and it was dead flat with about a mtr of swell. Both boats rolled over for what ever reason. All boats can roll but my opinion is a cat is more dangerous in an inexperienced set of hands than a mono. Especially if theres a step swell following sea on the rear quarter... Scary as hell when the skipper doesn't understand the basics of turning down the swell or trimming what sponson up when needed or even how to trim into a tight turn and then out of the turn!!

My advice is simple... Read what flex and Shane C have wrote because they are spot on. Then pm Soulfish to go for a run with you and pick his brains. He taught me and is hands down the best skipper I've come across mono or cat.. The guy really knows his stuff and is always willing to help others and give advice when asked.

good luck!!
That's coz you haven't been out with me Keith ;)

Gr0wler
17-06-2015, 11:32 AM
First of all, 575f where abouts are you from ? second: couple of things that Flex wrote are seriously wrong! "cats love a following sea" is one, ask someone that owns or has been in a 6.2 Kevlacat if they like a following sea. I have a mate that owns one that was his fathers who had it maybe since new approx early 80's and fished out of Stanage all the time as a pro and he will tell you it still scares him in a following sea and the faster he goes the worse it is.
Also the comment "cats need speed to operate is also totally wrong to tell a new cat owner, All boats should only ever be driven to the conditions, skippers and boats capabilities. I have an old 7 meter Sharkcat and I can honestly tell you it is one the best hulls I have ever been on and I can drive it in any direction of sea and it never digs a sponson or tries to roll/flip etc. As said before different designs of hulls do react differently in all soughts of conditions and as Shane C said the best thing is to just take it easy and you will get use to it very quickly and will probably wonder why you never bought a cat earlier ;D If you don't, sell it and buy a Sharkcat or a Noosacat and you'll never buy anything else ;)

Also if you can get a bloke who owns a cat and is a competent skipper to go out with you for a run to give you a few pointers is a great idea, If you live near brisbane I don't really work so more than happy to help or you can even take me for a spin in my sharkcat and I'm sure their would be plenty of others that would not mind going for a run if you like.

Hope this helps and have fun.

Cheers
Shane P.

Gr0wler
17-06-2015, 11:38 AM
Oh and driver skill is always the most important thing when boating over all else.

Flex
17-06-2015, 12:14 PM
First of all, 575f where abouts are you from ? second: couple of things that Flex wrote are seriously wrong! "cats love a following sea" is one, ask someone that owns or has been in a 6.2 Kevlacat if they like a following sea. I have a mate that owns one that was his fathers who had it maybe since new approx early 80's and fished out of Stanage all the time as a pro and he will tell you it still scares him in a following sea and the faster he goes the worse it is.
Also the comment "cats need speed to operate is also totally wrong to tell a new cat owner, All boats should only ever be driven to the conditions, skippers and boats capabilities. I have an old 7 meter Sharkcat and I can honestly tell you it is one the best hulls I have ever been on and I can drive it in any direction of sea and it never digs a sponson or tries to roll/flip etc. As said before different designs of hulls do react differently in all soughts of conditions and as Shane C said the best thing is to just take it easy and you will get use to it very quickly and will probably wonder why you never bought a cat earlier ;D If you don't, sell it and buy a Sharkcat or a Noosacat and you'll never buy anything else ;)

Also if you can get a bloke who owns a cat and is a competent skipper to go out with you for a run to give you a few pointers is a great idea, If you live near brisbane I don't really work so more than happy to help or you can even take me for a spin in my sharkcat and I'm sure their would be plenty of others that would not mind going for a run if you like.

Hope this helps and have fun.

Cheers
Shane P.

Goes to show there is a wide degree of opinion. Specially when we are talking cats! Of course someone shouldnt go out and drive their boat beyond what they feel confident in doing so.

But you have to admit, unless you tell the inexperienced cat driver that the design feature of a cat is for the air pocket to work they will slam harder than a mono in a 8knot breeze because they will always slow down rather than speed up a bit correct? So I believe someone new to cats should of course take it easy, but have the goal of pushing the boat slightly harder each time to the air tunnel can do what it does.but this does take time to build confidence

as to the 6.2 KC. I fish out of my mates 6.2 Kevlacat all the time around rocky up to stanage for the past 5 years. It is one of the best sea boats Ive ever been in. sea around stanage is probably the nastiest in QLD and not once has it broached/dug in or felt unsafe. he doesnt even indivually trim motors. he just points and shoots and runs 30 knots in most conditions.

The 6.2 is a longer skinnier cat so if imagine if underpowered the nose may dig in a bit as youd need more horsepower to lift it.

My mates has twin 140 suzukis on it. Pushes it hard no matter the conditions and not once had it bury.

End of the day, driving a mono or cat isnt complicated at all really. A mono trimmed in running in a following sea is just as dangerous as a cat.

Darren J
17-06-2015, 01:18 PM
​Hi Guys,

Regards
Matt

Also maybe try and PM Yknot560, he had one some time ago, although I don't think he has posted here for some time. I think I spoke with him as I was looking at buying that boat from its next owner a few years back now.

See this thread if you haven't already.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/154127-5-6m-Markham-Dominator?highlight=markham+5600

Cheers.

575f
17-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Hi guys,

The feed back so far has been great, is it correct that in a following beam sea that the hull that's on the swell side should be trimed a bit lower then the side?
Growler I live on the southern Gold Coast I'm in Brisbane most days for work

Gr0wler
17-06-2015, 06:25 PM
Hi guys,

The feed back so far has been great, is it correct that in a following beam sea that the hull that's on the swell side should be trimed a bit lower then the side?
Growler I live on the southern Gold Coast I'm in Brisbane most days for work
Can take you for a run in mine if you ever want to, just let me know and we can organise a day after you finish work or I can fly down the M1 and come out with you if you prefer that. The offer is always there.
Just remember that cats are designed to ride on two HULLS/SPONSONS not on a "cushion of air".

Flex
17-06-2015, 07:55 PM
So I guess coming off a wave at 28 knots and landing softly in a cat and slamming in a mono is because of the magical soft landing tooth fairy....

ric
17-06-2015, 08:18 PM
On the odd occasion, we roll to the side in a following sea or coming in through the bar and it always comes back up but I don't think I will ever get used to that feeling. Apart from that nothing comes close in terms of ride quality.

Gr0wler
17-06-2015, 08:42 PM
So I guess coming off a wave at 28 knots and landing softly in a cat and slamming in a mono is because of the magical soft landing tooth fairy....
Has something to do with fluid dynamics but I won't go into that as you are already confused and I don't want to go to jail for murder when your head explodes ;D

baitable
17-06-2015, 10:28 PM
So, now you've had a chance to google your answer- I would like to hear your explanation : especially about the fluid dynamics.....

The Woo
18-06-2015, 07:02 AM
To the OP; I suggest just spending plenty of time on your boat and get the feel for it.
Play with the trim, see how it reacts. Experiment when steering, slightly "shoulder charge" each wave with a small wiggle of the wheel. You'll soon get a feel for "walking the cat" as some like to call it. Don't feel you need to be constantly sawing at the wheel though, keep the shoulder charge for those one in 30 waves that's a little bigger than the others.

Fore and aft and lateral trimming a cat is simple, once you understand the basics of what the boat wants.
Its not rocket science. Have fun on the water.

i found the Dominator Canyon Runner the hardest to get my head around. Pictured is the boat I spent quite a bit of time on. Unusual action, that I assume is the asymmetric hull design or they could really use a lifting strake further forward on the outside of each hull..

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q301/bennythewoo/Markham.jpg (http://s139.photobucket.com/user/bennythewoo/media/Markham.jpg.html)

GBC
18-06-2015, 08:22 AM
On the odd occasion, we roll to the side in a following sea or coming in through the bar and it always comes back up but I don't think I will ever get used to that feeling. Apart from that nothing comes close in terms of ride quality.

This is also my experience. One day Gale force 6 and whitewater everywhere and the cats punch through amazingly, next day a nothing day at sea, 10 kts of breeze, cruising along and the cat will find a hole in the ocean that just isn't there and the passenger will end up in your lap.

Gr0wler
18-06-2015, 07:08 PM
This is also my experience. One day Gale force 6 and whitewater everywhere and the cats punch through amazingly, next day a nothing day at sea, 10 kts of breeze, cruising along and the cat will find a hole in the ocean that just isn't there and the passenger will end up in your lap.
In what brand of cat ? Sharkcats and Noosa cats don't just find a hole that isn't there. 2400 Kevlacat is a different story, a mate bought one new about three years ago and did not have it long as it did just that on two occasions crossing Moreton bay in dead flat conditions, nose trimmed up just cruising and in a split second the starboard sponson dug in and almost through a friend overboard and then his daughter the second time. As soon as that happened he sold it and now has a new 2400 Noosa cat and loves it, he says the Kevlacat was a nice boat but he just lost all confidence in it and just did not want to use it but he now has all the confidence in the Noosa cat that he has in his old Sharkcats and his previous Sharkcats.

hungry6
18-06-2015, 07:28 PM
When I first started out on cats, the one thing i always remember. If you are unsure about a condition back of abit, take your time. You dont have to perform the world fastest and tightest turn. Learn to enjoy your boat and it behaviour, if your trying to impress someone how fast it goes or what a beast it is, you will come unstuck.
With experience you will be able to pick line and speed at the same time send your chiropractor and phsysio broke.

The Woo
18-06-2015, 07:40 PM
It's weird isn't it. We had a 7 metre Skarkcat for years. Was a bloody awesome boat. Yes, it leaned out on turns, but these are offshore fishing boats, not ski boats. Maybe the leaning affects those who need to travel upstream to their ramp? It certainly never came into the equation for us leaving for east of Cape Moreton from our Scarborough base.
We just set the throttles @ 4,200rpm on the V6 Mariners, set the course, stayed at the helm and trimmed occasionally, and walked away from everyone, anytime.

soulfish
18-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Went for a drive today in my car around a corner & my car leaned out just like my Noosacat....felt normal to me.
Took my motor bike around a corner & it leaned in just like a mono hull...that also felt normal....just sayin.

I have never been in a dominator of any size but with the asymmetrical hull deisgn the boat must get up on a sausage of water forced through the tunnel (narrower exit through the transom)...& they don't seem to have an outer chine to hold them upright if turned very hard under heaps of power.i'm sure there not a bad boat driven sensibly(like anything) but I for one would always have that in the back of my mind.About 10 years ago I spoke to a skipper in the water police at Pittwater nsw who drove a dominator & at the time there was a couple of 7m dominators that went turtle & he said he knew of half a dozen more....they were mad as hell nsw police ordered 10 of them to replace there old 2700 noosacats (based on price from noosacat) he reckoned if it got over 20knts they would take the 36ft stebers...

I don't think markham marine is in business anymore either...could be wrong though.

As I said I have never been in one just my observations looking at hull....cheers

ShaneC
18-06-2015, 09:03 PM
My cat generally goes in straight lines so leaning out in corners doesnt bother me. Having said that you can make any cat lean inwards in a tight channel at speed very safely if you know how. Jase, mate if I had a 36ft Steber and a 2700 nc out the back and it was blowing 20 I reckon I would go for the Steber too....

GBC
18-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Got it in one. It was a kevlacat 18 tournament. A truly amazing experience seeing as the weekend before we had fished the riviera light tackle comp in atrocious conditions and it didn't put a foot wrong. I've driven tinnies to trawlers and I still have no clue if the ocean simply disappeared under the downwind sponson but it rolled so hard one engine cavitated. It was a beautiful day at sea with nothing doing. I thought we were gone.

soulfish
18-06-2015, 09:28 PM
My cat generally goes in straight lines so leaning out in corners doesnt bother me. Having said that you can make any cat lean inwards in a tight channel at speed very safely if you know how. Jase, mate if I had a 36ft Steber and a 2700 nc out the back and it was blowing 20 I reckon I would go for the Steber too....

Shit yeah...especialy into a head sea..wouldn't spill ya beer then!
For those that don't know how to make a symmetrical cat hull(noosa cat, kevlacat,ect) turn flat or lean slightly in to a turn as shane mentioned,just trim your outside motor in...eg..turning into a starboard turn at speed trim your port engine in a bit more then as you come out of the turn trim it back out...also applying more rpm on the out side engine will sort of do the same thing but not as responsive as trimming engine in.

575f Matt congradulations on the new boat mate..not trying to bag your pride & joy mate(don't know anything about it) but just get to know your boat well like others have said...I hated my first cat after I bought it but after about 50 hrs I started to feel comfortable..after a hundred I wanted to power through a cyclone..i actually went back to a mono after my first cat for towing reasons as boat was moored,but it absolutely done my head in & it was a short affair..back in a cat now & happy as.

gofishin
18-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Went for a drive today in my car around a corner & my car leaned out just like my Noosacat....felt normal to me..... LOL

... I don't think markham marine is in business anymore either...could be wrong though.... No mate, gonesky, some time ago now.

Cheers
Brendon

ShaneC
18-06-2015, 10:02 PM
You can also get them to spin like a mono by (and I say this with the disclaimer that I have cracked about 5000 hrs in cats, most mine some not so if you frack it up its on you) running in a straight line, back the power off, dump the wheel left or right and then punch the power back on full stick. You can bang out donuts like a legend all the while turning inwards . Comes in handy for impressing chicks, trying to sink mates in tinnys and being an irresponsible parent to kids on a ski biscuit on a rare family non fishing outing.

soulfish
18-06-2015, 10:11 PM
You can also get them to spin like a mono by (and I say this with the disclaimer that I have cracked about 5000 hrs in cats, most mine some not so if you frack it up its on you) running in a straight line, back the power off, dump the wheel left or right and then punch the power back on full stick. You can bang out donuts like a legend all the while turning inwards . Comes in handy for impressing chicks, trying to sink mates in tinnys and being an irresponsible parent to kids on a ski biscuit on a rare family non fishing outing.

Do you still have to have the outside engine trimmed in mate to pull this off?

ShaneC
18-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Nah mate actually works better if motors are trimmed the same and the harder you go into it the better. Ill be doing prop tests with the new motors in the next couple of weeks, if you are not busy come over and I will show ya. It really serves no other purpose than to do it for fun but knowledge is never a burden to carry. Cant tell ya where I learnt it though, thats classified hahaha

Gr0wler
18-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Nah mate actually works better if motors are trimmed the same and the harder you go into it the better. Ill be doing prop tests with the new motors in the next couple of weeks, if you are not busy come over and I will show ya. It really serves no other purpose than to do it for fun but knowledge is never a burden to carry. Cant tell ya where I learnt it though, thats classified hahaha
So keen to see this in action

bannana
18-06-2015, 10:28 PM
Shane It wasn't Wayne that showed you was it??

He was doing that in my boat in 20 knots just before Easter....

soulfish
18-06-2015, 10:28 PM

Sounds like a brown undie manouver to me...yeah keen to go for a run to see the difference.

gofishin
18-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Shane/Jason,
Have either of you spent time in the new(ish) NC2700 that now has no bolt-on pods, as they are now a full hull extension/part of the hull mold? (Called the 3000 now) Or know someone that has? Interested in the comparison.
Cheers
Brendon

ShaneC
18-06-2015, 10:35 PM
Nah Keith I learnt it from an organisation with which I was previously employed long before I owned a cat. When I had my fuel tank drama I burnt $150 in fuel cracking out donuts in D Bay continuously emptying my water separator to get all the h20 out of the tank. The young fella and his mate had a blast on the ski biscuit but there was a couple of times I thought I may have gone too far haha

ShaneC
18-06-2015, 10:38 PM
No Brendan I havent but I have heard they are a good thing. I was contemplating a new boat but changes in legislation and the price of a new one made the one I have seem so much better

Gr0wler
18-06-2015, 10:42 PM
Shane/Jason,
Have either of you spent time in the new(ish) NC2700 that now has no bolt-on pods, as they are now a full hull extension/part of the hull mold? (Called the 3000 now) Or know someone that has? Interested in the comparison.
Cheers
Brendon

That's the boat I want but just can't afford one at the moment :(

gofishin
18-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Cheers Shane, they do look like a good thing. I was especially interested when I saw the hull extensions.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/18/fc444ef62aa12855811091d3b8618f4e.jpg

PS. Apologies to the OP for getting off topic a little, but hey, we are still talking cats :) .

gofishin
19-06-2015, 01:23 PM
... couple of things that Flex wrote are seriously wrong! "cats love a following sea" is one .... Gr0wler, I think maybe you were a little harsh here. Possibly what Flex could have said differently/better was to 'qualify' his statement by adding for instance "one cat I know..." or maybe "some"..., i.e. "some cats love a following sea". The design of some cats actually does contribute to this ability (better down sea than up), however why I started this reply/post is I would like to highlight the subject what you two guys were discussing, or more so, disagreeing about :) .

In particular...

... ask someone that owns or has been in a 6.2 Kevlacat if they like a following sea. I have a mate that owns one that was his fathers who had it maybe since new approx early 80's and fished out of Stanage all the time as a pro and he will tell you it still scares him in a following sea and the faster he goes the worse it is....

and...

... as to the 6.2 KC. I fish out of my mates 6.2 Kevlacat all the time around rocky up to stanage for the past 5 years. It is one of the best sea boats Ive ever been in. sea around stanage is probably the nastiest in QLD and not once has it broached/dug in or felt unsafe. he doesnt even indivually trim motors. he just points and shoots and runs 30 knots in most conditions…

…My mates has twin 140 suzukis on it. Pushes it hard no matter the conditions and not once had it bury...

Here we have two completely opposite behaviours from the same boat!

Now I don't doubt either of you for a second, and this is an excellent example of how the same boat can behave so differently (whether cat, mono, or whatever in fact). Just wanted to point it out, as it may help some newbies one day, regardless of their type of boat.

Why?? Again, see post #24... this one...
I think setup is more important than driver skill, a badly setup one will bite the best of drivers whereas a good one is very forgiving. and by "setup" here I think we can include all these as possible contributing factors:
· Motor size.
· Motor weight.
· Motor height.
· Pods/pod type/no pods.
· Prop type/selection.
· Fuel tank size.
· Builders layout, incl build changes & tank location etc.
· Owners layout modifications
· People and gear.
· Where/how this 'live load' (people and gear) was/is distributed etc.
· Bimini/canopy size/style/shape/location...

to name those that come to mind.

The last one might seem strange to some, but even with a 6.2m glass cat I would say this could have an effect. The relative wind speed over the bimini/canopy can change by 80km/h in a boat doing 40km/h, by traveling either upwind or downwind in 40km/h winds. "If" this particular model was/is more susceptible to trim/loading up toward the bow (and I have no idea if this might be the case or not), then if the bimini/canopy between these two particular boats was quite different I would be looking at this too as a potential cause etc. Anyway…

Go back to the old long thread about the 7m Dom issues. Clearly there were issues, all over Aus too, and as confirmed recently in Keith's previous post. Yet from memory Foxy ran one commercially, did 1000's of hours in all sorts of crap conditions, and if I recall correctly (it is a bloody long thread to read all over again), never found it to put a foot wrong. BUT, his boat would have been a lot heavier (in Survey), he would have carried a lot more load, and from memory he changed the floor height (CoG), and layout to suit his particular needs. Maybe he had more HP too, can't remember.

Anyway, the point is, setup can play a ‘huge factor’ in how a cat/boat behaves… just sayin.

scottar
19-06-2015, 04:10 PM
I've only ever driven over a couple and none of the ones I've had anything to do with like any sort of water let alone the sea but this -

Anyway, the point is, setup can play a ‘huge factor’ in how a cat/boat behaves… just sayin.

is so true with any boat. Add varying degrees of ability with different skippers, varying amounts of stupidity with the same and different peoples expectations and any rig - good, bad or otherwise will have a report somewhere that is unfavourable

gofishin
19-06-2015, 07:25 PM
I've only ever driven over a couple and none of the ones I've had anything to do with like any sort of water let alone the sea ... LOL. Was that on purpose Scottar? So cruel ... :)

scottar
19-06-2015, 08:27 PM
I'm a dog person. ;D

Gr0wler
19-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Gr0wler, I think maybe you were a little harsh here. Possibly what Flex could have said differently/better was to 'qualify' his statement by adding for instance "one cat I know..." or maybe "some"..., i.e. "some cats love a following sea". The design of some cats actually does contribute to this ability (better down sea than up), however why I started this reply/post is I would like to highlight the subject what you two guys were discussing, or more so, disagreeing about :) .

In particular...

and...

Here we have two completely opposite behaviours from the same boat!

Now I don't doubt either of you for a second, and this is an excellent example of how the same boat can behave so differently (whether cat, mono, or whatever in fact). Just wanted to point it out, as it may help some newbies one day, regardless of their type of boat.

Why?? Again, see post #24... this one... and by "setup" here I think we can include all these as possible contributing factors:
· Motor size.
· Motor weight.
· Motor height.
· Pods/pod type/no pods.
· Prop type/selection.
· Fuel tank size.
· Builders layout, incl build changes & tank location etc.
· Owners layout modifications
· People and gear.
· Where/how this 'live load' (people and gear) was/is distributed etc.
· Bimini/canopy size/style/shape/location...

to name those that come to mind.

The last one might seem strange to some, but even with a 6.2m glass cat I would say this could have an effect. The relative wind speed over the bimini/canopy can change by 80km/h in a boat doing 40km/h, by traveling either upwind or downwind in 40km/h winds. "If" this particular model was/is more susceptible to trim/loading up toward the bow (and I have no idea if this might be the case or not), then if the bimini/canopy between these two particular boats was quite different I would be looking at this too as a potential cause etc. Anyway…

Go back to the old long thread about the 7m Dom issues. Clearly there were issues, all over Aus too, and as confirmed recently in Keith's previous post. Yet from memory Foxy ran one commercially, did 1000's of hours in all sorts of crap conditions, and if I recall correctly (it is a bloody long thread to read all over again), never found it to put a foot wrong. BUT, his boat would have been a lot heavier (in Survey), he would have carried a lot more load, and from memory he changed the floor height (CoG), and layout to suit his particular needs. Maybe he had more HP too, can't remember.

I had been thinking about this and while my 7m Sharkcat likes any sea but is better in a following sea I was racking my (maybe little) brain about the KC after Flex mentioned that his mates had 140 suzi's on it and while everyone I have known with 6.2 KC's all said they hate weight in the bum, I think they must only hate it at rest as my mates has the usual 90 yammies. He is looking at repowering it with the new 115 four banger yammies either this year or next so it will be really interesting to see if the extra power and some more weight in the bum makes it better or worse underway ? like Banana's old issue I'm now wondering if it has had to much weight to far forward it's whole life ?
And yes there is also a big difference in the fact that my mates is a "tournament'' i think the model is ? so it has a hard top cuddy cab and a full length bimini and he has just replaced his old center icebox and said the old one weighed about 300kg as his old man had it built with copper tube through it as he had a honda powered refrigeration unit in it as well.

Also the twin 90 yams that the guys I know with 6.2's have are NOT counter rotating which would probably also contribute to their poor behaviour, and the weight distribution difference between them and a cc (which I would love to see a pic of btw as I have never seen one before and would love to see what it looks like) would be a couple hundred kg's so must also play a big factor to attitude in the water.

All quite interesting when you think about it and just backs up Brendons post about moving weight around in the 5.6 Dominator and just try it and see the difference it makes to the may the hull behaves.

Oh and yes, when I reread my comments they did come across as quite "harsh" for a polite way to put it ;D but I did not mean to be harsh or rude but I keep forgetting that you can't see a cheeky look on my face when you read this nor can you hear a tone in my voice like if we were talking to each other and I was being sarcastic as I am a shit stirrer ;D so if it was take offensively I am truly sorry Flex.

Bull
20-06-2015, 12:08 AM
After reading all your posts I have come to the conclusion that you CAT boys could use a little help when it comes to driving boats. Im sure there is a couple Mono boys who could take you lot out and show you how to drive those funny lookin boats you own. :)

Flex
20-06-2015, 08:32 AM
Cheers Growler, much appreciated. No offense taken. I did see the cheeky smile at the end there :)

My friends 6.2KC is a Centre console(one of only 4 made I think).

His had 90 yammies on it then went to 140 suzukis. So he not only has half a ton less weight up the bow but has tons of power to keep the nose up.

Its very interesting to note how weight and power affect a hull so much, even well designed boats like the KC. I have never been in a 6.2 with 90's. I have also been in one with 115 yammies and it ran very well and never seemed to broach. Maybe 90's are that smidge to small for them?

Im by no means an expert, but its possible the longer skinnier cats need a lot more horsepower to keep the nose up in a following sea??

the 5.2 KC is one of the greatest little boats ive even driven in a following sea. Mine was underpowered a bit with f60's but being a shorter/squatter boat it possibly made it run better downhill?

So goes to show no matter what you have, weight and power makes all the difference no matter what boat you have

Gr0wler
20-06-2015, 08:54 AM
After reading all your posts I have come to the conclusion that you CAT boys could use a little help when it comes to driving boats. Im sure there is a couple Mono boys who could take you lot out and show you how to drive those funny lookin boats you own. :)
Are you sure you guys could handle travelling at our speeds on water ? as mono boys don't get to travel at the speeds us cat MEN travel at ;D

The Silver Unicorn
20-06-2015, 08:59 AM
What ive learnt from this is anything over 5 knots and .5m of chop and cats roll over.

FisHard
20-06-2015, 09:19 AM
What ive learnt from this is anything over 5 knots and .5m of chop and cats roll over.
unless you spend $50k and 6 months getting them perfect.
Haha, I'm just jealous. Always wanted a 6.2 KC

scottar
20-06-2015, 12:37 PM
Are you sure you guys could handle travelling at our speeds on water ? as mono boys don't get to travel at the speeds us cat MEN travel at ;D

The speed I can handle. The tunnel drum in a little bit of chop when fishing or low speed trolling I can't. Fished near a guy on the hards one day for a few hours - about 80 metres away. It did my head in listening to it.

soulfish
20-06-2015, 05:03 PM
Scotty stop it!....80 mtrs away..you been eating those rum soaked worms again..lol.

mate pm me your number & when the planets align we'll go for a fish....in a cat of course!
you do have a good boat in the victory though;)

Gr0wler
20-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Scotty stop it!....80 mtrs away..you been eating those rum soaked worms again..lol.

mate pm me your number & when the planets align we'll go for a fish....in a cat of course!
If he doesn't want to fish in an awesome boat like I Noosa cat then can I please put my hand up for a spot ? my number is 0407 69 69 49 ;D

Moejoes
20-06-2015, 06:19 PM

Agree & disagree Growler,
Depending on direction of course ;D
I've only ever been out in 2 cats ( Both of them Noosacats )
Bananas 3100 & Soulfish's 2700, both large cats and not once have I ever felt unsafe on them.
They are both great skippers & know how to handle them.
I probably would have a different opinion in a smaller one tho :o
Horses for courses of course......
All boats have their pro's & con's regardless of their shape or size and skippering does have a major factor in knowing what your boat can handle.

outta line
20-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I will just keep taking my pills until my cat comes home

Moejoes
20-06-2015, 07:52 PM
I will just keep taking my pills until my cat comes home

Try the local RSPCA.....:P

scottar
20-06-2015, 08:32 PM

PM Sent Mate.

scottar
20-06-2015, 08:34 PM
Try the local RSPCA.....:P

When I enquired about keeping them in cages with either two or four entry points, they hung up. Go figure.:P

gofishin
20-06-2015, 08:35 PM
...Fished near a guy on the hards one day for a few hours - about 80 metres away. It did my head in listening to it.

Scotty stop it!....80 mtrs away..you been eating those rum soaked worms again.... If it's not the rum soaked worms Jason, I know what Scotty's problem is... his hearing is just too good :).

I would never own up to that on a public Forum though Scotty, if your missus reads it you can never use the "sorry darling, didn't hear you" excuse :) !
Cheers
Brendon

scottar
20-06-2015, 08:40 PM
If it's not the rum soaked worms Jason, I know what Scotty's problem is... his hearing is just too good :).

I would never own up to that on a public Forum though Scotty, if your missus reads it you can never use the "sorry darling, didn't hear you" excuse :) !
Cheers
Brendon

LOL. After 16 years Brendan we are way past that. She knows full well when I'm not listening - when she's talking usually. As for the Hards thing, whenever we ended up more or less directly in front or behind old mate, it was like the hull acted like a bloody sound cannon or something. Was genuinely annoying to the point it stuck in the memory bank.

gofishin
20-06-2015, 09:03 PM
LOL. Try doing 1000+ hrs in a cat where the back 1/3 of the tunnel is in the water when trolling/off the plane. You'll get used to the noise, even the feeling of driving a 6t+ truck... with no suspension... over a curb... over and over again... all day long... you'll even get used to sleeping in it ... maybe ! :)

gofishin
20-06-2015, 09:19 PM

Only if it's NQ chop! Everywhere else is fine... [emoji6]

soulfish
21-06-2015, 12:30 AM
Brendon yes I have been for a run in a 3000nc...to answer your earlier question.Compared to a 2700 nc the first thing I noticed heading down the noosa river was the higher tunnel at displacement speed in head sea chop .We crossed the bar & played in a 25 knt westerly..no swell but messy..boat was very impressive on all points of the compass..it had 225 yammies & was hitting 48knts in any direction,in turns it seemed to sit flatter than a 2700.Mine has 150 yammies & is a great power/fuel efficient combination but this thing was a weapon!..it floated the v6 engines with ease ,something I'm not sure a 2700 would be comfortable with as I havn't seen or been first hand in one with larger engines.I'm sure underway it wouldn't be a problem but at rest I think they would sink in the ass a fair bit.The new intergrated pod design looks like a winner compared to the alloy pods,they still have a step in them ,but as Wayne explained the flat pod design adds stability to the boat at high speeds sort of acting like a trim tab.Even though the beam is 2.5mtrs on the 3000 compared to 2.55 on the 2700 its the midrail Dfender that puts the 2700 overwith...the 3000 has wider sponsons so it actually has a bigger footprint on the water,the boat is 200mm longer as well...I only spent a few minutes behind the wheel as I was with vmr guys sea trialing the boat & didn't want to use up there time on the water..it was intresting also that a 3000nc with 150's was a few knts faster than a 2700 with 150's according to sea trials between the two...both great boats,i would buy a 3000 over a 2700 if choosing from new,but I wouldn't sell my 2700 to go to a 3000 because of price difference & maybe a 10% better boat.But like you said in an earlier post about BOAT SET UP....The 3000 had a couple of hundred ltrs of fuel & no gear on board,so it would be a different boat with full fuel ,water,ice ,4 guys,rods,tackle ,sinkers,overnight gear,ect...all of which it would handle with ease but it would have been a different feel to the boat as tested.weight & especially weight distribution makes a huge difference in all trailer boats.
I ummed & ahhd about fitting a stress free anchor winch to mine knowing that 50kg on the bow would change the boat which it did...but at the end of the day its a compromise that I'd rather have..i'm actually selling a 2700 on boat point for a mate who's left the country if anyones intrested...it's a walkaround model with 175 suzukis & owner needs it gone as he lives in England now.A well maintained boat & most importantly well balanced...ready to go..sea trials not a problem as boat is in a seapen bayside Brisbane....PM if intrested.

gofishin
21-06-2015, 06:55 AM
Thanks Jas, great info. Didn't realise they made a walkaround in that smaller size. Would be an interesting boat.

If we didn't have a few more years of school fees I might have been interested in that one. Would he take a trade...? kids for boat I mean...??? :) :)
Cheers

Gr0wler
21-06-2015, 08:56 AM
Agree & disagree Growler,
Depending on direction of course ;D
I've only ever been out in 2 cats ( Both of them Noosacats )
Bananas 3100 & Soulfish's 2700, both large cats and not once have I ever felt unsafe on them.
They are both great skippers & know how to handle them.
I probably would have a different opinion in a smaller one tho :o
Horses for courses of course......
All boats have their pro's & con's regardless of their shape or size and skippering does have a major factor in knowing what your boat can handle.
Mine's only a baby 23 footer Moejoe and never felt unsafe in it either, well except for an unnerving inward crossing of the widebay bar that I may not have attempted in a mono but the Sharkcat made it a safer crossing IMO. I should not have come in where I did but I got impatient and rather than head north through the horrible conditions to the bar entrance i cut the corner through the washing machine shiite and the little pussy just pounced straight through it all with ease.

Gr0wler
21-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Thanks Jas, great info. Didn't realise they made a walkaround in that smaller size. Would be an interesting boat.

If we didn't have a few more years of school fees I might have been interested in that one. Would he take a trade...? kids for boat I mean...??? :) :)
Cheers

they made them in the 2300 as well, not sure on the smaller ones

Moejoes
21-06-2015, 05:24 PM
Mine's only a baby 23 footer Moejoe and never felt unsafe in it either, well except for an unnerving inward crossing of the widebay bar that I may not have attempted in a mono but the Sharkcat made it a safer crossing IMO. I should not have come in where I did but I got impatient and rather than head north through the horrible conditions to the bar entrance i cut the corner through the washing machine shiite and the little pussy just pounced straight through it all with ease.

7 meter is still a nice size.
What size motors on the back Growler?

Gr0wler
21-06-2015, 05:54 PM
7 meter is still a nice size.
What size motors on the back Growler?
175 Suzi's

Moejoes
21-06-2015, 06:10 PM
175 Suzi's

Nice, the cat would go really well with them on the back.
I have the same on the back of my 8meter mono.

Gr0wler
21-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Yeah it goes well and at about 43kts wot makes it a quick trip back from cape moreton on a good day when you have to get back to the ramp at scarborough in a hurry ;D

Hey when are we going to 1770 in that big broach machine (just kidding) keen to go for another trip, although the wife won't be keen on me going again so soon ;)

Moejoes
21-06-2015, 07:36 PM
Yeah it goes well and at about 43kts wot makes it a quick trip back from cape moreton on a good day when you have to get back to the ramp at scarborough in a hurry ;D

Hey when are we going to 1770 in that big broach machine (just kidding) keen to go for another trip, although the wife won't be keen on me going again so soon ;)

I get the same 43knots WOT.
The Frigate / Gravatron :P
She's all fixed now.
As soon as the weather breaks over a weekend and work doesn't get in the way.
Soon hopefully......

Gr0wler
21-06-2015, 08:31 PM
arrrrr so your another weekend warrior hey ;D8-) What breed is she ?

gofishin
21-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Brendon yes I have been for a run in a 3000nc...to answer your earlier question.Compared to a 2700 nc the first thing I noticed heading down the noosa river was the higher tunnel at displacement speed in head sea chop... Any idea what the transom tunnel clearance to water level was at rest at the tested trim/load during the test Jason? And compared to your 2700?

... it had 225 yammies & was hitting 48knts in any direction,in turns it seemed to sit flatter than a 2700.... Damn, that's quick. Drop down to 175's and it would still do a tad over 42.kn using the formula, still plenty quick enough I reckon, even to lose a few more knots when loaded. (It might not be quick enough for Keith though :) ). Interesting to see that is what Gr0wler is getting with 175's on his, would also be interesting to know what the real weight comparisons were. Those old girls were built pretty heavy. Have you weighed yours Gr0wler?

...it was intresting also that a 3000nc with 150's was a few knts faster than a 2700 with 150's according to sea trials between the two.... Any idea what the speed comparisons were?

.. Ill be doing prop tests with the new motors in the next couple of weeks... Shane, replacing with the same HP, just new, or going bigger?

Cheers
Brendon

Gr0wler
21-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Haven't weighed it yet, also the guy I bought it from said he had another set of props that gave it more top speed but but when loaded up to do 2-4 nights off break sea chasing reds with 4 on board the current props handled the extra weight better, after doing a few test runs I have found the current props suit my needs well enough to not worry about the expense of changing them.

Pearso
21-06-2015, 10:00 PM
I have been looking to buy my first cat ...Has any one had any bad experiences with a glacier bay 2270 isle runner ???... Everything I have read and people I have talked too that have owned or been in one have nothing bad to say about them I know there not the quickest hull due to them being a displacement hull but I can live with that
cheers

hi mate. I have a 2008 isle runner with twin 115 suzuki's. I have only done 70 odd hours though so still working it out. It is a beautiful boat though and very well made. Great all rounder layout with a much bigger cabin than any Aussie cat. The ride is super soft but it has a lot of lateral roll a times and that takes some getting used to. I had one scare running home in a following quartering sea when I broached badly and thought I was going over. I was experimenting with trim and got it horribly wrong. I read every post I could find but still got into trouble. Since then I have been out in pretty nasty seas in gamefishing tournaments and had a ball. In a following sea I trim both motors right out and just let it do its thing. I can sit down comfortably in any sea. It really is an amazingly soft ride. Early days but I am very happy with my decision.

ShaneC
22-06-2015, 09:04 AM
Brendon,

Same hp just new and a slightly different colour. I wanted to put the 200 Yams on it but there are a few reasons I have not, and I got a cracking deal on new motors that was hard to pass up. I have had nothing but Yams for the last 20 years virtually trouble free so I hope I am doing the right thing but change has never been a issue for me. Just about every cat in the land is faster than mine anyway because of the weight I carry so lack of top end is no concern, I would much prefer to sit on 22-24kn, not spill my stubby and have enough fuel in reserve to stay an extra day if needed to achieve my goal.

outta line
22-06-2015, 06:10 PM
hi mate. I have a 2008 isle runner with twin 115 suzuki's. I have only done 70 odd hours though so still working it out. It is a beautiful boat though and very well made. Great all rounder layout with a much bigger cabin than any Aussie cat. The ride is super soft but it has a lot of lateral roll a times and that takes some getting used to. I had one scare running home in a following quartering sea when I broached badly and thought I was going over. I was experimenting with trim and got it horribly wrong. I read every post I could find but still got into trouble. Since then I have been out in pretty nasty seas in gamefishing tournaments and had a ball. In a following sea I trim both motors right out and just let it do its thing. I can sit down comfortably in any sea. It really is an amazingly soft ride. Early days but I am very happy with my decision.

well there you go it ended up in australia ....i rang family marine about that boat and was told it sold a week earlier ... thats how long i have been looking for ...lol... your boat and the one i was going to import have been the cleanest that have come on the market over there in a year.....yer most say it takes a bit to get used to but end up loving the ride once they get a few hours up in it ..... have you had it on a weigh bridge mate ?... let me know if you want to sell it

feral cat
22-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Haven't weighed it yet, also the guy I bought it from said he had another set of props that gave it more top speed but but when loaded up to do 2-4 nights off break sea chasing reds with 4 on board the current props handled the extra weight better, after doing a few test runs I have found the current props suit my needs well enough to not worry about the expense of changing them.

Don't weigh it growler:P, there's a reason why 23 ft sharky's ride well compared to other hulls of simular size.
I've got the 660 NC and whilst its a far superior hull to the 560 sharky i had. Your 175's would be a good combo on your rig.

Gr0wler
22-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Don't weigh it growler:P, there's a reason why 23 ft sharky's ride well compared to other hulls of simular size.
I've got the 660 NC and whilst its a far superior hull to the 560 sharky i had. Your 175's would be a good combo on your rig.
Yeah it goes well but I will be weighing it soon as I want to know if I need to sell the 200 and get the Dodge sooner than I wanted to.

gofishin
22-06-2015, 10:26 PM
... Same hp just new and a slightly different colour ...hmmm, so not grey this time... must be silver then! That's what I would call a "slightly different" colour :) .

ShaneC
22-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Etec mate x 2.

No servicing for 300 hrs, go fast, no oil changes, no servicing, go fast, less fuel, no servicing, go faster, catch more fish, faster and less fuel. Awesome!!!! The salesman told me the only thing better than one etec is a pair of them....

gofishin
22-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Arrrghhhh, now you have done it. E-TECS on a cat! Just don't take it up to NQ, as you are sure to have all sorts of problems :) :) LOL

Should give you plenty of go. Will be interesting to hear how they compare to the previous yams. 150's I assume?
Cheers

Edit: I can't recall the exact difference in weight Shane but think the E-TEC's are 30kg or so lighter than the F150's. Never been in a 2700 but am sure 60kg's less on the bum will be quite noticeable. When you have some time up with the new donks let us know if the lighter bum is better or not.
Cheers

gofishin
23-06-2015, 09:49 PM
Etec mate x 2.

No servicing for 300 hrs, go fast, no oil changes, no servicing, go fast, less fuel, no servicing, go faster, catch more fish, faster and less fuel. Awesome!!!! The salesman told me the only thing better than one etec is a pair of them....

Good one Shane, you got me! :)

ShaneC
23-06-2015, 10:30 PM
Sorry mate haha. I am a perfect example of a comedian that aint funny...

Gr0wler
23-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Be very interested to see how long they last.....I mean how you like them ;) Oh just check on that 300 hour thing as a friend has an etec and was told after the purchase and once he had some of the issues started (but I'm sure you won't have any issues as they are as good as the salesman says) that the 300 hours thing is for freshwater use only and needed servicing more regularly in saltwater environment. I haven't had one so can't tell you first had but that's just what he was told by dealer.

GBC
24-06-2015, 09:22 AM
We have a 225 Ho etec in the family on a 680 Haines. It now has over 1000 hrs on it. Apart from some paint bubbles around the boot line it has given pretty good service and fuel economy. 1l per k.m. from 35 kph up to 55 kph where it starts to creep up a bit - measured from fuel flow meter. Not trying to start anything, I don't sell them ;)
Yes, the servicing thing changes on how and where they are used.

Gr0wler
25-06-2015, 08:52 AM
We have a 225 Ho etec in the family on a 680 Haines. It now has over 1000 hrs on it. Apart from some paint bubbles around the boot line it has given pretty good service and fuel economy. 1l per k.m. from 35 kph up to 55 kph where it starts to creep up a bit - measured from fuel flow meter. Not trying to start anything, I don't sell them ;)
Yes, the servicing thing changes on how and where they are used.
Gotta be happy with that! Good fuel economy - performance

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Pearso
26-06-2015, 11:10 PM
I looked for over a year too. I fished on a mates GB 26 footer a few times and loved it. When I found this one I bought it very swiftly and it is immaculate. Its as if it has been in storage. I got a new alloy trailer built over there with all the fruit and landed it all here for $60k. I was looking at Noosacats and Kevlacats but couldn't justify the extra $30K. It is very sensitve to drive but I am starting to get it. Getting the trim right is so much more important than on my cruisecraft which an idiot could drive. Heading out to the shelf on Sunday for some more experience. Can't wait

outta line
11-07-2015, 01:00 PM
I looked for over a year too. I fished on a mates GB 26 footer a few times and loved it. When I found this one I bought it very swiftly and it is immaculate. Its as if it has been in storage. I got a new alloy trailer built over there with all the fruit and landed it all here for $60k. I was looking at Noosacats and Kevlacats but couldn't justify the extra $30K. It is very sensitve to drive but I am starting to get it. Getting the trim right is so much more important than on my cruisecraft which an idiot could drive. Heading out to the shelf on Sunday for some more experience. Can't wait

Hey mate ... If you are ever after crew I would be more than happy to pay for all the fuel for the day .....iam itching to go for a run in one .. I sent you a pm with my phone numer .
Cheers mick