PDA

View Full Version : Rompin - Sailfish

Matthew Thompson
11-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Hi Guys

I am booking a charter out of Rompin to chase Sailfish on the 6th and 7th of July.

We are looking at booking with these guys http://www.hook-line-sinker.net/kuala_rompin.htm has any one had experience with them?

Also I hear stick baits are the go when they are on the chew, does anyone have any tackle tips or preferred stick baits I need to take with me?

Any other tips and advice will be appreciated.

Cheers
Matty

aussiebasser
11-06-2015, 08:51 PM
We went on a cheap charter from North of Kuala Rompin. I wouldn't recommend him because he couldn't speak a word of English. We caught two Sails though. We did a day trip out of Kuala Lumpur and it was massive, 3.00am to 9.00 pm. You will love the place. This time of year you may struggle to get one on a stick bait. We live baited ours.

Matthew Thompson
12-06-2015, 12:55 PM
thanks mate yeah will be be live baiting but if they show up in numbers it will be hard not to cast a surface lure out amongst them. Just wondering if any blokes on here have had success with surface lures and what they recommend.

I know its a long shot hooking one on the surface but I'm going to give it s crack thats for sure!

aussiebasser
12-06-2015, 01:00 PM
I'm sure you'll have a blast. We used bait jigs from 9.00am to 4.30pm and the missus was getting pretty bored with catching endless streams of tiny fish. I guess this was the guides way of berleying. At 4.30pm it all happened, with 3 Sailfish jumping within 20' of the boat. One on each of our rods, and one just freejumping with them. Certainly got the adrenaline pumping.

Matthew Thompson
13-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Sick! can't wait hopefully we get one in the two days. The guides have a trip the two days beforehand so we hope they will be on the money by the time we get there.