PDA

View Full Version : Boat service

Seahorse
10-06-2015, 04:02 PM
I rang a far northside yamaha place today to book my motor in for a service.
I asked how much for the first yearly service and was told $450 plus parts.

I said, well there is no parts as it is still under warranty.

He said, plugs, filters or anything else that they find.

That seems expensive. You have to have it serviced there to get the extra 2 yrs service.

JulianDeMarchi
10-06-2015, 04:17 PM
Seems a good price to me. I'm up to 2 services for my 150hp each year now, and it's roughly the same price.

astro66
10-06-2015, 04:58 PM
@ $45 an hour thats 10 hours work .... what do they do ....change the oil/filter ...maybe an hours work ...nearly double what it costs to service my wifes captiva which includes oil/filters...

Coontakinta
10-06-2015, 07:38 PM
Is this the 20hr or 100hr service Seahorse.
20hr on my f70 set me back $300 & when i asked about the cost of the 100hrly was quoted around $550.
Surely the plugs last more than a year these days.

Nick H
10-06-2015, 08:14 PM
That's on the money, just had my 225 yammi serviced $450 plus parts, if you want it cheaper you will get it from a private Mechanic but you will for go the extra two year warranty, something to weigh up. Astro no one with overheads can run a business at a charge out rate of $45/hr, your mate might be able to do that in your back shed with no overheads or disgnostic equipment. That wouldn't even cover the cost of the bloke turning the spaners.

Spaniard_King
10-06-2015, 08:20 PM
Nick, he has a 50... not a 250

Nick H
10-06-2015, 08:37 PM
Fair call Spaniard king, probably a bit steep. I just assumed the size of the engine.

Seahorse
10-06-2015, 09:02 PM
Its the first annual service. The 20 hr one has already been done.
Has anyone had anything to do with spt insurance.

i got a quote of them the other day and they matched Nautalus insurance.

They also saidif the motor was under 10 yr old then it would be covered for all mechanical breakdown.

they are in Sydney and they do all marine craft. Big in jet ski insurance.

Maybe worth a look

Out-Station
10-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Each to their own but the dealerships have got to expensive for servicing for me. Previously i's source my own parts from non marine sources, ie plugs from auto electrician, filters from internet or local Yamaha dealer, seals, washers etc just standard items ex industrial suppliers. I'd normally save about $100 sourcing them this way against sourcing ex marine dealership. I've always saved further about not replacing everything as suggested in the manual, I do plugs every 200 hrs, impellor every 100, full w/p kit every 300 etc. I then used to have the marine mechanic do the 100 hr service with my supplied parts. But at $300 to $400 for old mate to drop the oils, spin the filters, do the plugs, lubes and checks etc its got to expensive for me. I'm going to do it myself now with marine mechanic every second or third year. I got nothing against the marine boy's, no doubt their costs are going up like mine, just doing what I can to stretch my funds like everyone else. Historically I have found the smaller dealers and the mobile marine mechanics cheaper then the bigger dealers.

Scott

The Black Unicorn
11-06-2015, 06:14 AM
My 115 cost me pretty much $575 by a Yamaha dealer. Got the first 300 hrs done there then tried a couple of different options. My last 100 hr service cost me $415 from a local Suzuki guy. Pretty confident in his abilities so he will be getting my business from here on. One thing he did pick up on was the other guys servicing my motor told me I had to use a Racor filter cartridge to replace the existing @$65 a throw. This guy..... Generic one same micron etc $14!!!! There's $50 off straight away. The Yamaha mob have got you over a barrel if you signed up for extra warranty. Unless you choose to trust that the engine will last with no failures.

Seahorse
11-06-2015, 06:22 AM
Yeah i know. The extra 2 yrs sounded good at the time. I just dont understand if they have to change anything, why isnt it covered under warranty. If there is something wrong with plugs or filter then why have a warranty.
Maybe i should ask that question.
I hate hearing cost is $ .... Plus parts.

they do have u by the b....

robsue
11-06-2015, 06:36 AM
My 200 hour service on 70 yamaha was $539

The Black Unicorn
11-06-2015, 06:38 AM
Warranty will never cover consumables or wearing parts. It shouldn't need plugs at 100hrs just filters and oil and maybe an impeller!

hally
11-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Just had my f60 100hr serviced of my mechanic $350 all oils changed ,impeller ,spark plugs, oil filterand it only took him 2.5hrs now thats cheap.Got quotes from yamaha dealers they where between 600-800 work that out.cheers hally

robothefisho
11-06-2015, 10:15 AM
How do these dealers justify this on their bills for realistically an easy 1.5 hours work? Either the hourly rate is massive or the hours are bs.

gunna
11-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Got my Suzuki 60 done by a local mobile man up here on the Sunshine Coast. $310 including parts.

Dignity
11-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Try Stones Corner Marine, they would be by far the best marine shops for a yammie. I get mine (150 hp) done by a mobile mechanic and he spends a good 2.5 hrs plus on it, he checks everything including the conditions of the batteries, removes the anodes and cleans back the mating surfaces etc.

I've watched him work on it and I wouldn't begrudge him the labour he charges me, parts alone for mine add up to around $200, yes I could save probably $50 + on parts if I spent the time (here is the operative word) sourcing them myself and then managed to get the software and the connecting cables needed to do the diagnostics and the time to actually service it and know that something is not right, not to mention monitoring the manufacturers bulletins to catch up on issues that can arise. On my second service he ordered a new dip stick under warranty as he said the original was too loose, I tried it and yes it was easy to remove and replace but not knowing any better I would have left it as is. Often the cheaper it is means many small but important things in the long run don't get done.

For a 50 hp it does seem a bit high but then again I suspect and I'm probably wrong but the time taken and the cost of parts used will not be that much different, the choice though is yours, do it yourself and save a few $'s or shop around and find someone you are comfortable with on both price and service (which is why you have posted here) and allow them to earn a living as well.

Camhawk88
11-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Yeah i know. The extra 2 yrs sounded good at the time. I just dont understand if they have to change anything, why isnt it covered under warranty. If there is something wrong with plugs or filter then why have a warranty.
Maybe i should ask that question.
I hate hearing cost is $ .... Plus parts.

they do have u by the b....

Plugs, filters etc are consumables, they are meant to be changed regularly. Its like saying a new car warranty should cover your tyres and windsceen wiper blades.
Basically a warranty will only cover you if you encounter a component malfunction such as a stator or an injector or such.

That said $450 is too much for a 50hp IMO.

The Black Unicorn
11-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Got my Suzuki 60 done by a local mobile man up here on the Sunshine Coast. $310 including parts.

so how come Gunnas man can do it for that price and the Suzuki guy I took mine to smashed the Yamaha price? They do the same things, are basically the same motor as far as a small 4 stroke engine. All the Yamaha guys charge like the proverbial and they do no better a job!
At the end of the day Seahorses service will probably cost him around $600-650!!! Way too expensive for a 50hp

Callop
11-06-2015, 05:57 PM
I get Spaniad King to come to my place at Springwood and he does 2 or 3 services at a time. This spreads the travel across the boats. His costs for a service are very reasonable. Maybe you could get a few boats together at 1 location and get Gary to do them in 1 go.

Seahorse
11-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Hey Gunna, who do u use?

Seahorse
11-06-2015, 08:31 PM
I hate being ripped off.
They think they got u by the balls because of the extra warranty they give you.

how can other people get theirs done for lot less.

I know its only once a year but still gotta find the money. Iam starting to think if the extra 2 yrs is worth it. I prob wont even have the boat for 6 years.

Iam going to ring that insurance broker tomorrow at SPT.

TheGurn
11-06-2015, 09:27 PM
Was at a yamaha dealership north of brissie a couple of months ago buying a boat. The mechanic comes in for afternoon coffee and the boss asks how many services he's done. Five so far, he says.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Dignity
11-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Was at a yamaha dealership north of brissie a couple of months ago buying a boat. The mechanic comes in for afternoon coffee and the boss asks how many services he's done. Five so far, he says.

Makes you think, doesn't it?

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2
There is a particular dealer who certainly focuses on sales, heaven forbid any after sales service, sounds like their service is very light on.

astro66
12-06-2015, 05:08 AM
with every new car/bike/motor ive owned if anything goes its in the first 6 months .....most expensive service 300$ geee on a yamaha R1 ...is the 6/700$ extra over three years in inflated cost worth the peace of mind of two years extra warranty with really really really small print ?

StevenM
12-06-2015, 06:11 AM
What does your warranty / service manual say that needs to be done?

just for interest sake went and grabbed my 50 four stroke book ( different brand) and as far as plugs go it is inspect only ( check plug gap / remove carbon deposits / replace plugs when electrodes are worn )

the he actual only replace items are as follows

- gear lube ( notes actually say that must be replaced at 20 hours then checked / topped up after that or replaced every 100 hours ) I would ask to replace anyway due to next step
- impeller ( every 100 hours or 12 months) mad if you don't anyway but just my opinion
- engine oil / filter
- annodes

All other items are inspect

StevenM
12-06-2015, 06:22 AM
One thing I will add and this is for anyone out there, if you are going to shop around and have different people doing your service all the time or yourself, then do yourself a favour.

This is to choose a reputable brand of engine oil that your manual advises re specifications and buy it yourself and stick to it.

Why, well the mobile guy will have their preference, the dealership will have theirs ( normally will be only one oil and may not suit your actual engine specification) and the dealer may change suppliers and then oil brand or make may change. Don't guarentee that your dealer is using Yamlube or Quicksilver ( or what ever make) they may be using Castro or Mobil etc. please note it does not normally need to be Yamlube or what ever other brand, go by your manual specifications.

As a fitter I will say to you that not all engine multi grade oils are the same. Different companies use different formulas to meet the specification. It may be in the form of additives or detergents. But changing from A to B the n back to A then C may cause your engine issues.

enjoy the ride.

dnej
12-06-2015, 05:55 PM
if you want a great mechanic, reliable, straight from the shoulder, and genuine, then Garry is your man from GD marine.
You cant fault his work.
David

zan0_15
12-06-2015, 09:09 PM
I cant for the life me understand why you blokes are all so surprised.
Its 'Marine', everything costs a fortune as apparently anyone whom is rich enough to own a boat is rich enough to pay the associated 'marine' tax.
Same goes for a wedding actually, if you have met the love of your life well you should expect to pay for the privilege of celebrating that love.
Its a joke and a rort that people will continue paying for many years to come.
Thanks for coming ::)

FNQCairns
13-06-2015, 01:59 PM
The above is why I just cannot bring myself to own a new engine or a 4stroke just yet, I have had an old 2 stroke hanging of the back of my tub for 8 years, it's a little small now all the weight is finally in and I want to buy a replacement. I am particular in it's seaworthy condition even then the total cost over all those years would floor a typical boaty for it's cost effectiveness.

I cannot even buy a second hand 4 stroke for the cost of parts blows that away too, recreational boating costs have become between a rock and a hard place for the average owner.

fisho8
13-06-2015, 07:44 PM
One thing I have found is that the Yammi parts are quite expensive compared to some of the other engine brands. Most service shops now work on about $110-$120 an hour in Labour. Yamaha also set the service schedule also as far as the parts and hours go. That is 1 thing I have noticed going from a Merc to a Yamaha the service costs are way more. Price you pay for recreation though comes with the turf but. I would not have it any other way being able to get off land and out on the water.

Shark Poker
13-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Not a boat, but last month I needed the Air Conditioning fixed on my Nissan Navara.
Our local Repco said it was one particular part that needed replacing and the price of the repair would be approx. $600.

While $600 repair to a work vehicle that gets used every day is no big deal, we almost said OK. However....
Normally you can sense the persuasive tone of a con-artist. So I made a call to Wynnum Manly Nissan where I bought the vehicle from.
The following morning we dropped off the vehicle around 8.30am it was repaired and fully functional and finished before 10am. The price was $94

Yes, I have documents that can prove this story.

My point is that it pays to shop around.

mini tinny
15-06-2015, 08:20 PM
I used gary from gdmarine services, found him to be excellent. Great not to have to tow the boat to a dealership. My yammy 30 is still under warranty but as you mentioned the dealer service fee is prohibitive compared to the mobile operators with lower overheads.

Dignity
15-06-2015, 09:15 PM
I have a mobile mechanic here on the north coast and he is not that much cheaper than the boat yards but his work is exemplary and I wouldn't change him but for Brisbane and close areas there are several members on here regularly that have been mentioned as being very good, all i can say is TRY them.

Scott Ashe
16-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Garry has serviced my Yammy 30 4 stroke twice in the past 6 years and he has provided excellent service and he is a good bloke too. I loved the fact I didn't have to tow my boat to my dealer, as it is a bit of a pain having to organise someone to do it as I don't drive a motor car.

Cheers

gunna
16-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Hey Gunna, who do u use?

Sorry for the late reply. I use this bloke

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/qld/buderim/buderim-mobile-outboard-service-13062952-listing.html?referredBy=www.yellowpages.com.au&context=businessTypeSearch

Hole Shot
17-06-2015, 08:09 AM
My 115 cost me pretty much $575 by a Yamaha dealer. Got the first 300 hrs done there then tried a couple of different options. My last 100 hr service cost me $415 from a local Suzuki guy. Pretty confident in his abilities so he will be getting my business from here on. One thing he did pick up on was the other guys servicing my motor told me I had to use a Racor filter cartridge to replace the existing @$65 a throw. This guy..... Generic one same micron etc $14!!!! There's $50 off straight away. The Yamaha mob have got you over a barrel if you signed up for extra warranty. Unless you choose to trust that the engine will last with no failures.

Cut open the generic and the racor and you will see difference,thought the generics were around $25

goona
21-06-2015, 11:25 AM
I agree with others here. Garry from GD Marine is the go. Knows his stuff and reasonable with pricing. Used to use him when I lived in Brisbane but then moved to Gladstone and then had to start paying the Gladstone tax for half assed services by unscrupulous dealers charging for stuff they didn't do. Good thing also is you don't have to tow the boat anywhere saving time and money.

A shark poker noted had a similar experience lately with our VW Golf. RHS door window winder stopped working. Took it to the dealer and they said the motor was stuffed and it would be $850 to replace. I quizzed them on it and he said there was $500 for the new motor and $350 labourer. I asked why so much labour and he said they have to pull the outer skin of the door off which takes around 3 hour to do the job. What a load of crap as I had already pulled it off to look at it and it was all done from the inside. Anyway got a new motor off ebay for $100 and replaced it myself in half an hour, remember I am not a mechanic, and presto all working again. Some mechanics are a joke.

All I can say is shop around and when you get a good one stick to them.

Fed
21-06-2015, 11:49 AM
I service mine with a grease gun.

When I got it 7 years ago secondhand I checked it's fluids, looked inside the fuel filter & tested the alarms.

So far so good with only 3 minor repairs that weren't service related.

Blueheart
21-06-2015, 03:39 PM
I have a 2002 30hp Yamaha 2 stroke 3 cylinder that is probably due for service. Any ideas on what I would be up for?

The Black Unicorn
21-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Cut open the generic and the racor and you will see difference,thought the generics were around $25

I think this would cause fuel to come out?

Gr0wler
21-06-2015, 06:21 PM
What size motor is it Seahorse ?

Seahorse
22-06-2015, 07:55 AM
50 yammy 4stroke, growler

Gr0wler
22-06-2015, 11:24 AM
50 yammy 4stroke, growler
Just contacted my outboard mechanic and he said it would be right around $300 including parts to give you an idea but he does not have the overheads that a big yamaha dealership (like the one I suspect you were quoted by) has so he does not have to charge a higher rate on labour with a markup on parts to cover it. Food for thought.

kizza1
22-06-2015, 07:36 PM
as an ex marine mechanic here are a few pointers.
dealerships are forced to pay what the licensed importers charge them for parts. this adds to the overall cost
there are overheads which mean they have to charge $100+ an hour to stay open.
If they are charging 2 hrs to do the job its going to take somewhere between 1.5-2.5hrs to do the job properly.
not all cheaper marine mechanics will do the same job. Several times i would get an outboard in with a problem and the customer would say "ive had it serviced by a mobile guy the last few years" and you would pull out the original waterpump or find the factory thermostat gasket would still have paint on it from when the block was sprayed new. There are also things like putting it on the computer, inspecting trailers, batterys, steering ect which are unrelated to the engine but would get done on a service at the 4 dealerships i worked at.
as others have said service parts are consumables like tyres on cars. yes they have a warranty on them but only if they fail in doing there intended job.
there are dodgy dealers out there but most try and do the right thing. They arent charging you because they think they can rip you off. generally they will be charging you the time suggested by the manafacturer.

while some of the items may not need replacing imagine what the customer would say if a spark plug failed just after they had there annual service and it ruined a days fishing or even worse lunched an engine.
i have seen a few impellors that looked fine however have started to seperate from the inner bush due to the glue breaking down. the engine may not have done the hours but the impellors were old.

in saying all that i would think your engine should be no more than 3.5hrs labour to do an annual service.
and my personal outboard gets the fuel filter cleaned every 6 months as well as a good grease and the plugs, impellor and gear oil done every 3 years.