PDA

View Full Version : 5m Hydrofield vs 5m Cat

Alan M
09-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Hi All,

Currently contemplating the next boat - at this stage i think it is down to the 5m hydrofield vs a 5m cat. Either way will be new or close to it. Does anyone have any advice or tips? So far I have owned

5.3 trailcraft run about - awesome boat especially for diving - except for one thing pounded like a bitch into anysort of headsea
The the wife of the time got into fishing so we upgraded & bought a 6m haines signature, fished 1-2 days most weeks in this boat. Truly amazing boat to own then lost the wife and with it the tow vehicle so dumped the boat. (too big for 1 anyway...):'(
Currently have a 420 quintrex runabout

Loving the quintrex and getting back to heading out once / twice a week. My son is 6 now so he is out every chance he gets and the new wife is also getting involved....

I am currently thinking a 5m will do it - i loved the 6m sig but you are limited in ramps where the current tinny can be launched anywhere. Also current car tow capacity is 2t so a 6m glass boat is top of the range and we get around a bit 30-45 min trip to fish is normal, paynesville (3.5hrs) every month, southern NSW twice a year so within comfortable tow capacity is better than max.

I think a 5m will do 3-4 people and still get in some of the smaller ramps ok. Initially I was looking at the trailcrafts again as big and seaworthy with heaps of room but a better ride would be great. Most 5m glass boats are either centre console (not enough shelter for middle of winter brrrr) or are just too cramped and kind of wanky. Ideally i would like to fish the coastal waters around Flinders and Eden occasionally too which i do with the tunny but it scares me...

Also prefer a lowish front (compromise between some shelter and being able to throw lures around)

Have never owned a multi before i am a bit scared....the size and space as well as stability looks good. Most fishing these days is done standing up with lures / jigs. Even baitfishing is mainly standing so more stability than the tinny would be good.

Any advice tips would be great - its boat #4 so looking to get it right.

myusernam
09-06-2015, 06:43 PM
A 5m cat is still a big boat - just as heavy to tow as a 6m mono. I'd look at a small for length mono like a Yalta 615

Alan M
09-06-2015, 06:58 PM
6m no matter what is a bit big for estuaries, dodgy ramps i use, beach launch. I could go a light 6m platey but they will still annoyingly big in estuaries and shallow water generally. I think 5m cat maybe 1400kgs? 6m glass boat 2ton give or take. I dont mind the 4.sometjing websters and other small ally cats but i think they would be a bit of a flimsy pounder in the water, bad on anchor etc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

lembo
09-06-2015, 07:08 PM
whats your budget Alan ? there are good cats and bad ones.
one boat I really like is a NQ borger cat, there ally so lighter to tow and a built awesomely and excellent ride there is one on boat point for 25g neg with a low hour 115 yam 4 stroke. awesome looking fishing boat and tons of room. I nearly bought a 6m model but was to slow and it sold.
good luck with whatever you get.

Smithy
09-06-2015, 08:01 PM
Some of the 5.2KCs on alloy trailers scrape in under 2T. The windage is another thing. What is the actual vehicle? They are awesome little boats but 4wd territory IMHO. Not had anything to do with tris other than a big 28' Hydrofield which was pretty good. Windage would be better for towing and their trailers with the wheels are pretty low maintenance. Get one with like a 140-175 four stroke and it would be awesome.

ifishcq1
09-06-2015, 09:14 PM
a tri will bang much more in a wider variety of seas than a cat will
every boat has a direction they travel best in and the cat definitely covers a heap more of the compass comfortably
that's from someone who fishes in both, who owns and runs a longboat and is totally impartial

Alan M
10-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Thanks Lembo - the one on boatpoint is a center console so not for me but looks like a good deal. I will talk to the builder and see if they can do a smallish runabout. budget is not a huge issue but i am hoping to get away spending 35k or under

Alan M
10-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Smithy i think the 5.2 KC is a size too big for what i want to do with the boat, as you say getting pretty bulky. Car is a VW multivan - everyone sings the praises of the big hydrofields - not sure how the little ones are.

IfishCQ - thanks i think most people say the opposite ie tri is more versatile in a wider range of conditions?

mines bigger
10-06-2015, 10:31 AM
there is a 5m hydrofield advertised at Curtis coast marine in Gladstone, might be worth a call, if I remember correctly it is around 20g

FisHard
10-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Alan m, this may or may not be of interest, but I tow my 580 Cruise Craft with a Renault Master van no problem at all. Boat is probably just shy of 2t. Never had a drama even being front wheel drive on any of the ramps I go to. It's rated to tow 2.5t

lembo
10-06-2015, 04:56 PM
I just sold a 5.2 kevlacat and they do need a half decent tow vehicle. I think ally is a good bet if weight is an issue, the Borger cats are nice but very rare, how about sailfish cats? I've never been in one but have heard good things, there is two on boat point one for 32 grand with twin 90 2 stroke yamahas, would go like a cut snake. And another for 42 grand a lot nicer but has twin 70 4 stroke evinrudes. They would be quite good to tow been ally. They have both been advertised for a fair while so maybe there quite negotiable. I don't know what they weigh on trailer but I don't think its to much . Maybe 1500 kg.

myusernam
10-06-2015, 07:07 PM
a 5.2 kevlacat is bigger or as big to tow as a mono approaching 6m. and a shedload slower. all multi's around that size will be bigger than a 5.5m mono. (crap websters etc excluded) but youa re talking about offshore ability
i think if tow weight and cost vs useability and offshorer ability is yr concern then you should be looking at a mono.

grahams
10-06-2015, 08:06 PM
After 4 hydro fields and 3 cats. I'd definitely go hydrofield at 5 and 5.4m. Above 6 m things start to even out..2 skinny little hulls on a cat in the small sizes are very hard to get right.. The extra buoyancy of the tri is a lot more forgiving..I just wish they would return to 3 full length hulls not the cut down version which only help in sharp turns... I only turn around once, to come home, but could do with the extra lift on every wave from the 3 full hulls.

Alan M
10-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Fishard - thanks yeah the vans do ok. i think they are geared to carry a load/tow.

Lembo - thanks those 2 boats look like weapons....food for thought.

MB - yeah seen it, thinking of flying up to have a look - new probably about 32k so maybe better value to buy new? The hydros still have heaps of wood in them so due have a finite life.

Alan M
10-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Thanks Grahams! Good feedback. So hard to know as hydros amd cats are.pretty rare in vic. Need to go see a hydrofield

Alan M
10-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Myusernam - i have already owned 3 monos - next one will be a multi for sure i think. Today i had a quick look at a 430 webster and much more fishing space than the 5m glass cuddy next to it....tow weight is a factor but offshore ability is not high on the list - just the ability to get 5ks into bass straight a handfull of times a year. The ability to launch at beach by hand and on dodgy ramps is more important as this is most common scenario. Also ability to fish the shallows more important and more common than offshore - it is just getting the compromise right somewhere bigger than what i have now and smaller than the 6m signature i used to have...

frosti
10-06-2015, 08:56 PM
i have a kevlacat 1900 in melbourne if you want to see one up close

Alan M
11-06-2015, 12:55 PM
thanks Frosti - i will pm you later.

Anyone have an opinion of the 5.5m single engine angler cats?

AndrewB
11-06-2015, 01:05 PM
I have a 5.3 NQ Borgercat and definitely go thru shallower water than a mono

Alwayskeen
13-06-2015, 10:50 PM
Alan, i have an angler cat and find it stable, even with three on one side. Truckloads of room. It's a big small boat. Not sure I would take glass anything frequently on dodgy boat ramps but.

Alan M
27-06-2015, 05:37 PM
I took a cat out over a bar a couple of days ago up near the gold coast - so surefooted in the bar. Outside was a bit of swell and 10-15kns of chop which it smashed through....also so stable at rest in the slop. I am a convert. Now to convince the wife, find a boat and get the money together.....

John Buoy
01-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Reckon my 5mt cat would be perfect for you. Has everything you want and an excellent platform to fish out of and comes under 2T very economical with twin 4S
0414645006 if you need to chat !!

Jarrah Jack
02-07-2015, 05:38 PM
I second what John Bouy said about his boat, its very well set up and in Melbourne which is a bonus.

John Buoy
04-07-2015, 08:30 PM
I second what John Bouy said about his boat, its very well set up and in Melbourne which is a bonus.
Cheers JJ your a good man !