PDA

View Full Version : how do plate boat builders cut there plate ally/ easiest way to cut plate ?

lembo
06-06-2015, 08:17 PM
hey guys just wondering how plate boat builders cut there ally, I know the get there boats cut by the big aluminium companies on there fancy gear and get it delivered and they build.
but not all is cut by supplier, and maybe custom one off work they cut themselves.
ive seen circular saw, jig saw, big hydraulic press and other techniques.
ive heard circular saw with a line of oil on it goes alright.
anyone out there cut a bit of plate and can advise me on best way ? about 4mm thickness.

Moejoes
06-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Hi Lembo,
They normally use copy routers.
If you're looking to cut yourself, buy yourself a heap of 1mm cutting disc's for the 4" or 5" grinder, the next best thing.
I used a jigsaw for cutting rounded corners.
Do not attempt with those mini circular saw blades for 4" / 5" grinders as they are highly dangerous C& you'll more than likey loose something you don't want too if you get my drift :o

fisho64
06-06-2015, 08:36 PM
any woodworking tools with tungsten tips pretty much work on ally, circular saw, bench saw, router etc.
Dont use oil, wax is the go.
A block, touch the saw blade and your good to go.
Cuts like butter, BUT beware of kickbacks, have the plate firmly secured if its a smaller piece.
Dual saws are probably the safest and easiest to use.

Nick H
06-06-2015, 09:24 PM
I wouldn't be using a tungsten tip timber blade, the rake on the blade is what causes the kick back, they make specific blades with on rake on the tooth for cutting alloy. I watched the boat builder cut the burley pot in my duck board with a tungsten cutting wheel in a 4inch grinder and he said they used this for cutting all the curves for the cabin with no worries.

Dan5
06-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Boat builders either use a Plasma or it's Router cut.
At home depending on how much you have to cut either a friction blade in the grinder and bees wax {1mm Blade} or a cold cut tungsten blade (death wheel) if your game.........Using the wax will give you 4-5 times the blade life......there is an alumium lubricant purspose made for the job also but bees wax is fine just keep it up to the disc.

If you have an entire boat to cut out i'd hire a Plasma and touch it up with a flap disc later.

Dan

Noelm
07-06-2015, 06:14 AM
They don't get the sheets cut like a kit, most builders cut their own, Plasma cutters and a variety of pretty basic tools are used as well, which is what the home guy would use.

gofishin
07-06-2015, 07:08 AM
.... cut a bit of plate and can advise me on best way ? about 4mm thickness. What are you making/cutting up Lembo? How long a piece? How many of? What shape, straight or curved? Any tight intricate work?
Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tunaticer
07-06-2015, 07:10 AM
Most up with the times boat builders will have everything precut either by router or laser cut these days.
It really is not that hard to get the plate layouts rights and things precut.

STUIE63
07-06-2015, 07:34 AM
Nick H is correct in regards to using saw blades the aluminium cut ones are so much better than the timber cut ones

astro66
07-06-2015, 08:29 AM
straight cuts cutting sheet down=guillotine ....light curves and cuts into the sheet= 7" circular with negative raked blade (blades are about 60$ ).....tight curves and small cuts =jigsaw ......lube blades with inox spray or use a cake of sunlight soap we haven't used wax for years because you have trouble getting the wax off when you powdercoat/paint ...1mm blades in a grinder on 4mm sheet will wear them out fast and the cut is crap ok for small cuts....

SHOOTER1
07-06-2015, 09:00 AM
Whatever you do do not use a CARBORUNDUM DISC in a grinder designed for steel i.e 1mm cutting disc. These will clog with alu and shatter. At 10000 rpm it is highly dangerous (similar to a hand grenade) . Some will say "I use them all the time no problem" sure how many red lights can you run before getting collected by a semi.You can get these discs for alu and they are clearly marked.Saw blades suitable have a negative rake and are either marked Aluminium or Multi Material Blades. I have also seen people use an electric planer with slither blades, works great for tidying up curve cuts etc.

lembo
08-06-2015, 07:29 PM
thanks for the replys,
im getting a pair of pods cut out for me but im going to get some extra sheets of ally with my order so I can cut fuel tanks out myself.so all straights cut pretty much.

astro66
08-06-2015, 07:36 PM
get them guillotined ....and a sheety to fold them ...

mutineer
09-06-2015, 06:38 AM
Agree with astro less joins the better in fuel tanks , get em folded