PDA

View Full Version : hard tops

Jsmfun
04-06-2015, 07:52 AM
hi all just after some pro's and cons about these new trailer boats with hard tops
?do they make the boat top heavy
?what sort of maintenance is involved
?what makes them good or bad
? if you where looking for a boat with a hard top what features would be in the hard top and why.

i have looked at the cruiser craft 625 explorer H/T and the haines hunter H/T
they both look great but i am a novice only ever had clears and they SH.',T me lol

cheers scott

mull dog
04-06-2015, 08:19 AM
No idea but interesting topic you've started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chimo
04-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Hey Scott

Cooler.
No rain leaks
Kept the clears above the glass as good to get a breeze on hot days and they can be closed to keep rain and spray out when traveling
Modified the stainless on the Vagabond to carry the fibreglass top that was also reduced in size and thinned to remove built in plate to originally carry radome.
Polished the same as the rest of the boat and you can sit / stand on it to do it.
The boats not top heavy but Vags are solid / heavy. Maybe some of the newer egg-shell shaped for strength, thinner glass boats; who knows?
Mines good; others may or may not be or may even be better?

I needed to replace my original sunbrella top as it had a few age leaks etc and the the glass top was offered on AF so I was lucky enough to get it and as with all "free boat stuff" then proceeded to BOAT actually two by the time all was welded, cut , shaved, flocoated, fitted, wired and polished.

Thats B O A T ing for you tho!

Cheers
Chimo

blairv70
04-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Interesting Topic this one. i am looking at replacing my cnavs Bimini with a light weight hard top for better life span and the ability to mount things on top of it.

I am looking at a light fibregalss hardtop or some sort of molded plactic one that will then clip and lock onto the exitsing frame that was there for the bimini.

Now just need to get one made......

The Woo
04-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Is there anywhere that sells a range of ready made hardtops?

Oceanic Dave
04-06-2015, 11:01 AM
I know this guy does:
http://www.bluebottlefishing.com/categories/marine-products/hardtops-fibreglass.html

Chimo
04-06-2015, 11:17 AM
AFers could also consider using the mould that AF Finga is holding and make their own.

Having a solid frame on which to mount the top is another must and does cost a bit.

The whole process is not very cheap by the time its up and fixed but its definitely great when its in place.

C
C

The Woo
04-06-2015, 12:58 PM
AFers could also consider using the mould that AF Finga is holding and make their own.

Having a solid frame on which to mount the top is another must and does cost a bit.

The whole process is not very cheap by the time its up and fixed but its definitely great when its in place.

C
C

Any idea of dimensions of that mold mate? Maybe a pic?

Chimo
04-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Woo

Here are the pics that Opti (Dave) posted when he was cleaning up and giving the stuff away.

From memory Finga has the mould and did say at the time, from memory, that he would lend it out to AFs to make their own

Link to posts and pics http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/180986-Free-hard-tops?highlight=hardtop+free

Hope it helps

Cheers
Chimo

The Woo
04-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Thank you sir.

mal555
07-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Besides giving you more ability to mount domes, aerials, rod holders etc., depending on the length and strength you can carry dinghies out of the way and safely walk around the side deck to the bow holding onto proper handles bolted to the HT, instead of performing a dangerous manoeuvre trying to balance with your hands spread out wide sliding over the top of the canvas.
Once you've converted to an insulated (foam filled for heat or cold) GRP or alloy, you would never go back to a rag top.

ranmar850
08-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Just a word of caution on the "more room to mount stuff on" sold as a pro in the argument. The boat has never been built that was improved by raising it's centre of gravity. Be sure your boat is big and heavy to start with if you want to put a big and heavy hardtop on it, then mount more stuff on aforesaid hardtop.

Nick H
08-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Hey Mate, a couple of things that I asked for but didn't get done when my boat was built, the side windows where ment to be clear glass with a single opening window for better ventilation, they where done out of tinted perspecs and you can't see a thing when your loading and unloading the boat at night. I had two hatches put in the roof for air flow which makes a huge difference. I don't think you can go wrong with a hard top and glass everything stays dry and it should last a lot longer than clears, the windage on the boat is deffinety more than a centre console I owned but, I'd prefer to stay dry, nothing a sea anchor doesn't fix. As said above I would be careful adding one to an extising boat due to weight. Mines 3mm alloy and probably weighs about 70kg plus glass at a guess
cheers Nick

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109337&stc=1http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109336&stc=1

Jsmfun
08-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Cheers for all the replies people it's been much appreciated and good points to look at.

i have considered the hard top option and my boat is not the heaviest and is a bit flighty when at speed maybe trim tabs might fix this but I don't know if I will get the H/T on this boat.

i have been explaining what I'm after to the boss and we might be in a position to upgrade in next financial year . It Will be a 10 year boat for us so all the bells and whistles ... Have noticed that cruiser craft do a full enclosed option this would be ideal for me as no clears at all .

Is there much air flow in these ?
can you still mount stuff on them being there is glass attached?
And is ther a back draft that would make you freeze in winter?

Cheers scott