PDA

View Full Version : Painting Aluminium Boat - Whats A Good Paint Brand/Type

ryangler
01-06-2015, 11:31 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm having my 7m Assassin re-painted as its looking a little weathered, I've found a guy to paint it and need to purchase some paint. Living in a rural town I cant simply pop into a paint shop and chat to someone, so I'm looking for suggestions on which paint brand to go for and more specifically which ones. the fella painting the boat has suggested

- PPG Deltron for the colour and
- PPG D839 Primer however this isn't an etch primer. He is spraying over the existing coat though there is some areas where the paint is peeling and we did agree he would etch these areas

Also the fella painting it has said not to clear coat it, is this right?

Cheers

shaungonemad
02-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Do you no what type of paint it's was originally painted with as some don't mix. Is it a flat colour or metallic

Seahorse
02-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Mate is it a solid colour or a metallic colour that you have chosen?

for a solid colour just 2 k top coat is fine. All Metallics have to be cleared.

Dont know what D839 is but i hope it is an epoxy 2 pack primer.

Any bare areas after sanding should be etched.

Detron is ok but very expensive. How much is he charging you with paint?

Where abouts are you.

i have a connection with a guy that paints boats like yours for a living.

He does a great job.

cheers
greg

Seahorse
02-06-2015, 04:37 PM
I work for a paint company and sell Concept 2 pac and basecoat paint , perfect for boats.

Let me know quanity and colour and i will give you a price.

greg

scottar
02-06-2015, 05:01 PM
anything but Jotun. Recently spent 3 days prepping an anchor winch, then 3 days painting only to have the Jotun sh*t paint not go off properly and react with the top coat. Another 3 days to get all the sh*t off and then paint again. Followed instructions to the letter but when quizzed the paint suppliers response - I would never have used that stuff in these temperatures even though the temps and drying times fell within the specs in the application guide. Not Happy Jan. >:(

Seahorse
02-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Painting Ally in cold weather is a shocker.
Very difficult to get etch primers to stick to cold ally.

So I would say the primer wasnt dry because of the cold ally.

Anyone that has a heated booth would normally heat the booth and ally first then prime.

Once primed top coat should be fine.

toddo1
03-06-2015, 04:22 PM
I used rhinogrip etch primer, stuck like shit to a blanket! Then rhinothane t for top coat!!
Great gloss and hard as!! As seahorse said painting cold ally or and metal really ain't a good idea

Seahorse
03-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Iam sorry but Rhinothane and rhinogrip is made by Wagon pInts I believe.

If iam correct, I wouldnt use it on my boats.

Its a fair way down the ladder in comparsion to other topcoats and primers.

nothing to do with you Toddo.

I have been in the Automotive and indistrial paints for last 20 years.

cheers
greg

Darren Mc
03-06-2015, 07:13 PM
Deltron D839 Prima is a 2k primer/surfacer. I use it at work in Smash Repairs mostly on cars.
The PPG data sheets recommend using D831 Universal Etch Primer on any aluminium prior to spraying on D839.

As Seahorse said all metallic's and pearl's must be cleared otherwise it will break down in no time. Clearcoat contains UV protector's and also gives a metallic or pearl finish it's gloss.
2K or Direct Gloss (solid colour's) dries glossy off the gun so no clear is needed. Although the addition of D800 Clear into Deltron Direct Gloss colour's is recommended to give added UV protection. Also gives you nicer gloss and gives the colour more depth.

Haven't painted boat's for years but we used to use Protec Epoxy Primer back then (on Col's Fisher Boat's). In my line of work these day's I don't use Epoxy primer's so can't help to much with product information.

Deltron is pretty dear like Seahorse said, although it is a pretty good product.

Seahorse
03-06-2015, 07:51 PM
A good run down Darren.
I would always etch before 2k prime or epoxy.
I also would stay with the same Brand of etch, epoxy and top coats.
Dont mix brands.

i dont know to much about Deltron only its expensive.

I currently supply paint to a Major boat refinisher, painting 6-8 metre boats.

cheers
greg

Darren Mc
03-06-2015, 07:57 PM
Agree with you totally Greg, on all those point's.

Dan5
03-06-2015, 07:59 PM
I've used Wattle Poly U400 and the recommended Wattle etch primer and never had issues.I'm no painter either but always ended up with a good finish.

I painted this one with Wattle........Graphite Grey.

Darren Mc
03-06-2015, 08:01 PM
This time of year you'd definitely want to be painting this 7m boat in some sort of heated spray booth for lot's of reason's but mainly to warm the hull and help with flash off between coats.

Seahorse
03-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Dan
poly u 400 is ok, been around a long time, but I would prefer a 2:1 mix , not a 4:1 industrial coating.
in my opinion only, you get a better finish from Automotive 2:1 than industrial 4:1
That is just my opinion before someone jumps on me. Lol

ryangler
04-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, a lot of useful information there.

I'm in Karratha in the north west so even today in winter its 29c and 27c tomorrow 8-), though in summer it it gets a tad hot.

I ended up calling Prestoncraft in Perth and chatted to the fella that paints their boats and he recommended Wattyl PR250 Primer, UC230 Primer Filler and Poly U400.

Not certain on colour yet, initially I liked the below colour but dont know know if I like the colour or just the colour on that boat. I was also considering a light grey very similar to the to the picture posted a couple of posts up.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109253&stc=1

ryangler
04-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Dan
poly u 400 is ok, been around a long time, but I would prefer a 2:1 mix , not a 4:1 industrial coating.
in my opinion only, you get a better finish from Automotive 2:1 than industrial 4:1
That is just my opinion before someone jumps on me. Lol

Greg,

We are still negotiating he wants $4k but I only want to pay $3k I also have a car I want him to spray so I'm negotiating for a price for both.

Can you explain the difference between 2:1 & 4:1? also could you shoot me a quote for
- 12lt colour & 6lt hardener
- 6lt primer & 4lt hardener
- 2lt etch primer

I'm undecided on a colour at the moment could you give me a "thumb suck" quote for now or do the price vary wildly depending on the colour.

Thanks

eureka
04-06-2015, 07:05 PM
try looking at norglass ive had two boats painted with it and they have both stood the test of time first one had it for ten years and it was still glossy after a wash down and look a dream there is a bit of difference when you lay it down as it is a lot thicker then your standard 2 pac and you really have to get the pressures right too high and it will blow dry but when its done right you cant beat it

Seahorse
04-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Ryangler.
will need the colour. Prices are based on groups. White cheapest, blues greens middle and orange and reds the dearest.
i will work something out for you once i get the colour.
The level of gloss is in the hardener that u use. I just think gloss level lasts longer in a 2:1 mix. Thays 2 parts paint 1 part hard.
Does the $4000 include paint and primer?
Here in brisbane a new boat that size would cost around $8000 drive in drive out all finished. Including all materials.

ryangler
04-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Ryangler.
will need the colour. Prices are based on groups. White cheapest, blues greens middle and orange and reds the dearest.
i will work something out for you once i get the colour.
The level of gloss is in the hardener that u use. I just think gloss level lasts longer in a 2:1 mix. Thays 2 parts paint 1 part hard.
Does the $4000 include paint and primer?
Here in brisbane a new boat that size would cost around $8000 drive in drive out all finished. Including all materials.

Thanks Seahorse,

I will decide on a colour an come back to you, is there a colour chart online I can refer to?

He wanted $4k cash for just labour and consumables (tape, sandpaper etc) but I supply 20lt thinners. Thats for
- colour to the sides
- white to the gunwhales, cab and H/T
- black to the windscreen area
- Apply tintable U-Pol Raptor bed liner to the deck including insides, top of the gunwhales, gunwhale pockets, top of transom /swim platform, top of hardtop and top of the bow/anchor well area

Have you every seen bed liner used on a boat before?

He will be be prepping and spraying it at my works yard and I will be supplying power via geni to the work area. Him and his mate recon 5 days work or three weekends as he works for one of the pannel beaters in town mon-fri. I've offered them $300 per day cash so $3k for the boat plus $1.5k to respray my old Jeep Wrangler.

At $8k elsewhere I feel like I'm ripping him off but its cash and he has no O/H's. He is a good painter, done my mates Prado for $900 and another mates mustang for $1500.

Cheers

toddo1
02-10-2016, 06:14 PM
Iam sorry but Rhinothane and rhinogrip is made by Wagon pInts I believe.

If iam correct, I wouldnt use it on my boats.

Its a fair way down the ladder in comparsion to other topcoats and primers.

nothing to do with you Toddo.

I have been in the Automotive and indistrial paints for last 20 years.

cheers
greg

Fair enough, been on my boat for 2 years and still looks like in was sprayed yesty! Banged into plenty of tree, racks etc! Not a mark so far so can't complain, but each to their own!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Towie0
04-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Some great info and advice thrown into this thread have any of you guys seen this - www.nanoclear.com.au
Approx Half the cost of painting but its only through approved applicators not retail/wholesale

toddo1
04-10-2016, 05:40 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161004/78208cf3114862ac4adef2e56cb75dab.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161004/283564c7da135bf5b6ab71391cab7eed.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161004/db169b7ac313b4cf0b9f32a4ed5cdd52.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk