PDA

View Full Version : Trailer: Repair or Replace

MickS
28-05-2015, 10:32 AM
My current trailer, made by Stacer is 8 years old. It carries my Nomad Elite which is still going strong, the trailer not so much. The brakes have rusted out, the rollers are worn and rusted, and the metal bands holding suspension are almost rusted through. Not being at all mechanically minded, this is what I can see, there may be more problems I have not seen. The frame looks good, no rust or corrosion. The winch works well, the strap needs replacing. The plastic on the electrical plug is starting to perish.

The cost to replace is $2.2K -$2.6K depending on trailer make and options, 2 year warranty, and I'm thinking this is the best option.

But I though I would ask those in the know, what sort of money does it cost to have a trailer refurbished? I don't have the skills to do it myself, so would need to have it done elsewhere.

And if I buy a new trailer, what's the best way to get rid of the old trailer.

thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Mick

FisHard
28-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Just replace it mate and put the old one on gumtree

bluefin59
28-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Mate give the frame a wack with a hammer , if you get a full thud it's had it and get a new one . I just put a new quintrex alloy trailer under my 4.5 my bluefin for around $3500 I put a post up here somewhere that might be worth reading up to you . Matt

scottar
28-05-2015, 04:37 PM
If you don't feel confident doing it yourself, then all you can do is get a quote and then make a decision. In all likelihood though the costs will be enough to justify replacement. When I did my single axle some time back (axle and mounting hardware, springs, steel for frame and rear cross member, paint and a few bits and pieces a few years back all up it cost me about $500.00. If I had of added labour costs for someone to do it, the cost would have blown out to the point a replacement would have been a serious option. Agree with advertising the old one on gumtree. If you do get a new one, consider getting it professionally rustproofed before use.