PDA

View Full Version : Quick anchoring question.

deckie
26-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Like many i use a painter and anchor from the cockpit. If the tide is running or choppy i attach a small buoy to act like a snubber and absorb some of the shock so the boat doesnt jag about so much at anchor.

Question is...does anyone use or have any thoughts on using say 10mm or 12mm shock cord as the actual painter line and forget the bouy ?
The shock cords seem strong enough (and UV tolerant these days) but obviously far less breaking strain than rope painter....but on say a 5m trailerboat in non essential inshore anchoring situations could it be strong enough to absorb the shock and replace a standoff buoy out the front ?
Have looked and looked but nowhere mentions the breaking loads of thick shock cord....so wondering if anyone has tried using it as a painter line. We once used old bicycle tubes and they worked alright. Doesnt need to hold the titanic so could it be enough ?
Steve

sowden1942
26-05-2015, 12:28 PM
Hi Deckie. I use to use a storm pipe or gas pipe O ring and just connect it on your anchor rope leaving a bit of slack in the middle to allow for stretch. That use to take the jarring out of the rope and stop the anchor being pulled. Try attaching the rubber ring with zip ties that way you can remove it and replace it easily. Try Clark rubber they might have something like that. John

Crunchy
26-05-2015, 01:09 PM
Someting like these?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/anchor-buddy

deckie
29-05-2015, 02:23 AM
Thanx for getting back fellas.
Those ebay anchor buddy things look interesting. Never come across them before. There is a 4ft one that might do the trick nicely...maybe just switch 4ft of my painter rope over to that thing and throw overboard as normal. Need to keep the painter length the same coz i;m paranoid about it getting overboard when underway and going straight into the prop.
Anyone used those long 14-50ft ones to go ashore ?...do they work well and make it easier ? Sounds like i;d still need to clamber back on/off adjusting it out the front anyway.

Thanx for the link crunchy....i might still experiment with just replacing my entire painter line with a bit of off the rack 10mm shock cord to see if it breaks. Just seemed the obvious and easiest solution to absorb the shock and have it the right length.

Noelm
29-05-2015, 08:40 AM
shock cord is very weak, just use a rubber ring as suggested, you can tie it anywhere in your anchor line, even a few feet from your chain if you wanted to, and still use the system you have now, I just use a big rubber ring and tie it on every time when I am anchored, takes about a minute.

Fed
29-05-2015, 10:52 AM
It all seems like a lot of drama to me deckie you must anchor in some pretty mean places.
Can't you simply chuck the anchor in over the front and tie it off, then rip it up with a ball and pull in the slack rope?

deckie
29-05-2015, 11:29 AM
Fed there's an element of old habits and laziness in this of course ;D. Its a cuddy so i drop the pick from cockpit and painter line clip comes around outside of cabin and rests near helm ready to go...i just put a quick loop in anchor line, attach the painter clip and a buoy then throw over. So the small buoy sits maybe 12-14ft out in front when anchored and acts as the shock absorber.
Works alright and not exactly difficult, but last time i was out i was wondering why i dont simply use a stretchy painter line instead and get rid of the buoy. Yes i could anchor from the front like a normal human being might...but when solo its just easier from the cockpit.
Not exactly a problem, but the old inquiring mind got to wondering whether say 10-12mm shock cord might be strong enough by itself to replace the painter rope, or might perish with UV/salt. Sounded quick and simple. i.e. the entire painter becomes like a long snubber and get rid of the middle man.
Sounds like Noelm is pretty sure its weak stuff though. They dont rate the stuff with load capacities which is likely a clue it is weak.
Its a spot i fish that gets a sharp standing chop when the wind is opposite to the tide so it can jag on the bow a bit. No big deal...just curious...i can always use a more standard snubber type system.

Crunchy
29-05-2015, 01:20 PM
I wouldnt trust it for overnight anchoring but I don't think it would be weak at all, there are plenty of youtube vids and although most of them seem to be lake anchoring situations people seem to trust them to anchor off the shore so if they were break all the time there would be some comments along those lines. Pretty low cost investment to check it out its gunna do what you want it to do.

Briannes
29-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Hi deckie, I have used an anchor buddy on my Yalta 535 works great, I just left a loop in the main anchor line of required distance. did not want to cut anchor line worth the money.

Thanx for getting back fellas.
Those ebay anchor buddy things look interesting. Never come across them before. There is a 4ft one that might do the trick nicely...maybe just switch 4ft of my painter rope over to that thing and throw overboard as normal. Need to keep the painter length the same coz i;m paranoid about it getting overboard when underway and going straight into the prop.
Anyone used those long 14-50ft ones to go ashore ?...do they work well and make it easier ? Sounds like i;d still need to clamber back on/off adjusting it out the front anyway.

Thanx for the link crunchy....i might still experiment with just replacing my entire painter line with a bit of off the rack 10mm shock cord to see if it breaks. Just seemed the obvious and easiest solution to absorb the shock and have it the right length.

FNQCairns
01-06-2015, 05:20 PM
Yep +1 on the O Ring, this can be zip tied to only the chain component of the anchor (with chain slack inside)...safe as houses forever.

Bike tube of a size and type to suit the boat does the same thing and is softer.

shakey55
06-03-2016, 08:53 AM
I to anchor from the cockpit in my v-sea.

I have a good piece of rope attached to the bow and Along this rope is a large rubber o-ring.

I run anchor from rope locker through hatch to cockpit. Drop over side and when I'm on I attach the line with rubber ring to anchor line and let go. This line makes its way to bow and rubber ring acts as a shock absorber.

To retrieve I slowly motor forward, pick up bow line, disconnect from anchor line, attach running ball to anchor line, motor forward, release anchor from bottom and hand pull into boat. Anchor and rope stays up forward until fishing trip over then when cleaning boat put all away in the locker.

Been doing it for years and yes I also find it easier when fishing alone.

But really you do what is best and easiest for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk