PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of replacing transom but never done it before.

FordGT
23-05-2015, 01:02 PM
Hi all,

Toying with the idea of replacing the transom on my boat as its rotten on one side as the outboard well drain hole is leaking through cracked fibreglass inside the transom.

I know its an arduous job, but I'm willing to give it a go. The main things is I don't want to start the job in the first place if its not practical to do at home full stop.

I'm assuming it goes something like this:

1. Cut the old transom out from the back of the boat.

2. Make the new one up with a template that you've made.

3. Reglass it in from the inside and outside.

4. Redo the gel coat on the outside

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108871&stc=1

Chimo
23-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Might be a good time to get rid of the massive well and fit a pod?

Cheers
Chimo

stevej
23-05-2015, 03:48 PM
ive done one and never again
would rather work and save and pay someone

the house of sanding and having resins stick every where the dust

FisHard
23-05-2015, 04:01 PM
I'm with the above post! But if you do it, everything I've read says leave the outside skin in place and replace the ply from the inside.

Noelm
23-05-2015, 04:39 PM
Replace from the inside, half the work, and twice as good, it can easily be done at home by anyone with some basic skills at tools, some grassing experience would be good, but not a real stopper.

Jeremy
23-05-2015, 04:44 PM
some grassing experience

Would a part time job mowing lawns count?

FordGT
26-05-2015, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the replies and opinions guys. If I'm going to be bothered starting it, I might as well go all out and fit a pod and remove the outboard well.

Or just get a new boat...

BARRAkid
27-05-2015, 07:54 PM
In theory replacing the transome from the inside is stronger because you are not cutting into the original skin and rovings but from the outside does the job. It is abit messy but preparing all the matting and prefitting everything before glassing will save you rushing when resin is going off..

Rip it up
28-05-2015, 12:42 AM
Jump in a tackle it. Simple wood working skills is all that is needed. Any errors with the saw is covered with the resin work anyway.

Today's materials are a lot stronger and easier to work with too.

I would be looking at removing that massive motor well. But maybe consider going without a pod. Just create a tight area for the motor and allow access to the rear corners to fish out of.

You can add bait tanks and battery compartments etc if you want. But it's all about making the boat functional for the style of fishing you do.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/9336536f22702f901e61ce2d251305a7.jpg

The rear corners of my Haines are the main reason I like the boat. Reef fishing is made easier when I can stick my toes on the transom and stand next the bait board.

Two small pads sit on each corner, one housing a small bait well.

The way I would tackle you boat would be to diamond saw a line from the foreword end of the well where it meets the vertical gunnel edge back along to the transom. Effectively removing the well as a complete unit.
Cut enough gunnel cap to allow access from the top to slide in your new transom timber.
Extended the existing transom timber work vertically up in a large U shape. Leaving the original motor height at 20" or 25" what ever you have. In the centre.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.