PDA

View Full Version : Team Ausfish.

wayno60
22-05-2015, 05:48 PM
For the last two years Luke(Funchy) and myself have competed in the Flatty Classic.

It is with great regret that my ol mate Luke cant make this years event, so this opens up a spot for anyone willing to have to fish for three days straight, drink lots of beers of a night, have a sence of humor when the fish arnt biting, put up with me, be totally spent at the end of day three...

If your from out of town im willing to open up my house to you so accommodation is looked after. By the time of the comp i will be living on the coomera river just across from sanc cove.

We can use my boat which is a 4.5m center consol 70 4s yam, or if you have or prefer to use a more better fitted out tournament boat thats fine too. Your boat will be behind locked gates and under cover every night.

Alternatively if your already entering the comp and need another team mate im ya man...

so if you think you have what is takes

please read the attach
http://www.goldcoastsportfishingclub.com.au/gold-coast-flathead-classic/

thanks for your time

Funchy
22-05-2015, 05:56 PM
Sorry I can't make it Wayno.... Next year Bro

To anyone considering it Wayno is a top bloke. Both him and his missus (Gwenny) are down to earth people with no bullsh|t.

Good luck mate. I look forward to seeing you climb the leader board!!

wayno60
22-05-2015, 06:04 PM
mate you'll always be my wing man..

Ausfish
22-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Hope you find a team mate for this year. Let me know if you need anything again this year.

wayno60
23-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Thanks Steve.

Gr0wler
23-05-2015, 09:31 PM
I was thinking of going (if the weather isn't great up at 1770 that is ;) ) so if your still looking for someone I would be interested.

wayno60
23-05-2015, 11:56 PM
Have you read the link?

you right with the dates and $$$ involved?

nathank
24-05-2015, 07:46 PM
I cant wait for it again this year,will see you for a beer over that weekend wayno, good luck with gettn someone else. For anyone considering it is the best weekend going i think, heaps of fun..

Dignity
05-06-2015, 07:54 AM
Sorry I can't make it Wayno.... Next year Bro

To anyone considering it Wayno is a top bloke. Both him and his missus (Gwenny) are down to earth people with no bullsh|t.

Good luck mate. I look forward to seeing you climb the leader board!!

You have hardly put your big toe in the water these last few months, you'll get dry rot soon.

Funchy
05-06-2015, 08:49 AM
You have hardly put your big toe in the water these last few months, you'll get dry rot soon.

Sunday morning yak session in the passage..... You up for it?

Still_Dreamin
05-06-2015, 12:54 PM

Funchy I am up there sat night fishing the bramble bay fishing club overnight meeting. If I see some yaks I will give you a shout. Don't like the forcast for Sat. 20kn S turning SE later. Will be a bit uncomfortable but at least i will be fishing. Feel free to Pm any tips for fishing the Caloundra reach of the passage ;)

Short Fuse
05-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Still Dreamin. I will throw some advice in on chasing bream in the Caloundra area of Pumicestone. I used to do a heap to tagging of bream up there a few years ago. Grab some chook pellets and soak them in tuna oil for a berley. I use one of those blue berley pots with the screw off lid. Drop a couple of good weights into it and fill with the choo pellets. tie a rope to the pot and drop overboard until about a foot off the bottom. The best bait bar none is strips of chicken breast meat.

I used to look for areas of small rises and melon holes in the bottom. Easy to see in daylight as there will be lots of swirls in the water. Maybe a bit harder to see on a windy day. Usually only fished in a metre or so of water along the edge of the channel and often on the run in tide moved up into even shallower water. Rig was a sinker just heavy enough to get the bait to the bottom above a swivel, and around a metre of trace to a size 2 wide gape hook. Cast out into the berley trail and drop the rod into a rod holder and wait for it to fold over. Easy fishing - sit back sipping a mug of hot coffee and the fish come to you. With the wide gape hooks, most fish will be hooked in the corner of the mouth. We used to crimp the barbs and this made for easy and quick dehooking. It was not unusual for us to each tag in excess of 50 bream for an evening up there using this method and on a couple of occasions we got over the ton each for the evening and were normally off the water by mid night.

The mate (Pete) that I fished with used to be a member of the Bramble Bay Club so he knew the area well.

Cheers

Jeff

Dignity
06-06-2015, 07:58 AM
At Locker Waters, can't get out of it, enjoy Sunday. Was surprised you weren't out Friday afternoon as no wind and falling tide, your favourite.

Dignity
06-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Still Dreamin. I will throw some advice in on chasing bream in the Caloundra area of Pumicestone. I used to do a heap to tagging of bream up there a few years ago. Grab some chook pellets and soak them in tuna oil for a berley. I use one of those blue berley pots with the screw off lid. Drop a couple of good weights into it and fill with the choo pellets. tie a rope to the pot and drop overboard until about a foot off the bottom. The best bait bar none is strips of chicken breast meat.

I used to look for areas of small rises and melon holes in the bottom. Easy to see in daylight as there will be lots of swirls in the water. Maybe a bit harder to see on a windy day. Usually only fished in a metre or so of water along the edge of the channel and often on the run in tide moved up into even shallower water. Rig was a sinker just heavy enough to get the bait to the bottom above a swivel, and around a metre of trace to a size 2 wide gape hook. Cast out into the berley trail and drop the rod into a rod holder and wait for it to fold over. Easy fishing - sit back sipping a mug of hot coffee and the fish come to you. With the wide gape hooks, most fish will be hooked in the corner of the mouth. We used to crimp the barbs and this made for easy and quick dehooking. It was not unusual for us to each tag in excess of 50 bream for an evening up there using this method and on a couple of occasions we got over the ton each for the evening and were normally off the water by mid night.

The mate (Pete) that I fished with used to be a member of the Bramble Bay Club so he knew the area well.

Cheers

Jeff
Jeff, I normally use chicken breast but in the last week small trips of gar or piece of peeled prawn the size of your thumbnail out fished the chicken breast by far, in fact the chicken hardly got touched. Could be my chicken but back neighbour was out yesterday and said it was very slow and he uses chicken breast yet we had plenty of hits on the gar and prawn. I normally don't carry prawn except my wife likes it and is the only bait she will handle so I had some left over when my brother called in and we went out. I agree that berley works well but I do find I get a lot of rats amongst them then I have to resort to using dough baits to entice the bigger ones.
Another area is the deeper water near the big sand bank between the power boat club and bribe island, the incoming bream will forage onto the flats as the tide rises and will leave the flats as the tide falls.

Short Fuse
06-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Hi Dignity. I agree that the berley can attract a lot of smaller fish to the boat. That never used to worry us as tagging was always about a numbers game and the more fish we could tag in one location in a session the better it was as it gave us a lot of information as recaptures came in as the fish moved back throughout the passage and back into Moreton Bay. We used to tag any fish over 20cms in length. Ended up tagging over 2000 bream in the Caloundra area over 3 winters, and the mate I fished with tagged a similar number.

It took me a few trips to become a convert to the chicken breast bait, but in the end we never took anything else. We did experience a few quiet nights where not many fish were caught, but generally when fishing the full moon tides caught lots of fish. One one of our club trips up there, one member took chicken thighs because they were cheaper to buy, but he hardly caught a fish on that as bait. His saving grace was he put his bait on the club BBQ back at the ramp later that night so it did not go to waste. In fishing a comp, I would take a couple of different back up baits just to be sure.

cheers

Jeff

gunna
06-06-2015, 05:45 PM
How on earth did Wayne's post for the Flatty Classic turn into a bream fishing lesson at Caloundra :o. And for what its worth, I find chicken mince mixed with sand a better berley up there.

And even moreso for what its worth - at the moment Wayne is fishing with me and Tackle-buster in my boat in the Classic.

Still_Dreamin
06-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Sorry I accidentally hijacked your thread Wayne
I was actually hoping for some flatty advice off the master but am happy to accept any advice.
Have you found a fishing offsider for the classic yet? I would love to do it but it has been so long since I have caught one I have forgotten what they fight like😭 not someone you would want in your boat at the classic I am afraid I would jinx us both!
Thanks for all the advice on the bream. Was absolutely killing it with the run out tide and se wind. Doing it tough now with run in and 20 kn se. Boat swing everywhere. Got the burley going, chicken breast and mullet flesh out. No bites. About to crack the prawns and see if that works.

Short Fuse
06-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Hi Gunna. Thanks for letting us know that Wayne has secured a team for the Classic, Great news.

As for who is responsible for hijacking the thread - I blame the Greens. Then again, I blame the greens for most things that happen in this country.

cheers

Jeff

Dignity
06-06-2015, 09:41 PM
How on earth did Wayne's post for the Flatty Classic turn into a bream fishing lesson at Caloundra :o. And for what its worth, I find chicken mince mixed with sand a better berley up there.

And even moreso for what its worth - at the moment Wayne is fishing with me and Tackle-buster in my boat in the Classic.
gonna, were you out today in the passage, guy launched at bells creek in a boat called gunna

Dignity
06-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Yep, off topic, too easy to do when talking about fishing (shelled prawn beat everything hands down today again), oops, done it again.

gunna
06-06-2015, 10:08 PM
gonna, were you out today in the passage, guy launched at bells creek in a boat called gunna

Not me mate - I am farm-sitting in NSW at the moment.