PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank sender unit

lovejones
15-05-2015, 01:41 AM
Hoping someone can help me. I have a sender unit in my fuel tank, however, as like the image that is what mine looks like, i have a pos and neg wire just sitting on the tank not connected to anything. now i am assuming, that he sender unit should have some elec box attached to the top for the wiresto connect to. can someone advise if i am correct, and if not, what i do with regards to connecting.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108747&stc=1

Spaniard_King
15-05-2015, 04:49 AM
One wire goes on the threaded stud in the middle and the other to the male spade metal bit sticking up on the side... nothing hard it is simply a simple setup

lovejones
15-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Thank you for your reply, went out had another look, appears i dont have the metal bit, so thought whilst there id take a couple of pics.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108748&stc=1

bazza65
15-05-2015, 03:10 PM
I was wondering if you can buy the glass piece on the 20 litre plastic tanks.
Mine frosted over and had trouble getting one.

lovejones
15-05-2015, 11:11 PM
for the plastic tanks, wouldnt it be easier to buy a new gauge? for the sake of a headache they are only about $17 in BCF.

scottar
15-05-2015, 11:35 PM
What sort of fuel gauge do you have? If it is the standard one, the information Spaniard King has given is correct but there may be a variation in the connection of the negative wire (for a lack of better description) . If the gauge is a NMEA2000 type it does need an interface that wires to the sender unit.

lovejones
15-05-2015, 11:48 PM
as far as i know its just a standard gauge. round, black, E F. i am going to replace current connectors with the round connectors, connect the neg to one of the bolts, and pos to the center nut/bolt and see if i get any readings. though the gauge also needs to be wired as its not connected.

scottar
15-05-2015, 11:56 PM
The standard fuel sender is simply a variable resistor type, the most common being the American standard that gives a reading of about 240 ohms when empty and 33 when full. You should be able to check with a multimeter to make sure you have the correct connection points

lovejones
05-06-2015, 11:41 PM
ok, finally gotten around to wiring up my unit (now that ive rebuilt and installed gearbox on the motor).

I am just wondering if the flange, top of the sender unit is a generic standard size, eg: mine is 70/72mm across, so if I was to replace this unit I do not want to have to cut the hole bigger on the tank. mine shows the reading back to front, that coupled with the float actually having a hole I have decided to replace, and will be easier and cheaper to buy a kit.

cheers

Fed
06-06-2015, 10:31 AM
You've got an American/Euro mismatch going on between the gauge & the sender so make sure you buy the right one.
I've found both types fit in the same hole.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109297&stc=1
You can't correct the reverse reading by swapping the wiring around.

lovejones
06-06-2015, 05:28 PM
yer ive read that so figured it was a mismatch, ill probably replace both with a gauge kit as I have a hole in the float, and its not much more than buying individual hardware.

I read somewhere someone had a new sender but the hole in the tank was too small so needed to cut bigger, this is something I am not willing to do fullstop. at mo though I am happy to read the gauge back to front for now.

taking her out tomorrow for her first trip since we bought it to see if anything else is in need of replacing before we revamp the old girl, unfortunately previous owner let her go and didn't look after her at all.