PDA

View Full Version : any tips on testing fuel tank for leaks ?

lembo
12-05-2015, 07:50 PM
Gday lads
so ive got the new sharkcat and boy its a ripper. its built to survey so have the advantage of having access to every compartment under floor between bulkheads .Im going to end up lifting floor and doing new(bigger) tanks, but I want to use the boat a little before I do. the current tanks I think are original and drivers side compartment looks and smells all good but passenger hatch when opened has a strong fuel smell. I think it could be cracked tank, im hoping its just around the top where filler pipes come in.
thinking of doing a pressure test on it. never done one, anyone done one and can shed some light on how to do it ? or how to test for leaks with another method ?
any help appreciated.

mitc69
12-05-2015, 08:34 PM
considering it a new boat.. what your smelling is mostly the vent to the tank which is common

for testing refer to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9vTjBeEgQE i did this way too along ago

gofishin
12-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Tips on how to test fuel tanks for leaks...

...how to do it ? or how to test for leaks with another method ? ... No naked flames for a start! Women, on the other hand.... :)

Ok, seriously now, testing an old used tank, in situ, within the hull of a cat, is quite different to testing a new one in a water bath/with soap spray etc.

5 psi max. The pressure test will only be as good as the seals you create on the connection for pressurisation and those for capping additional connections.

Why not call someone who makes tanks and see if they are interested in testing it for you?

Ally or s/steel pipes thru the deck (from the tank)?

Are all the hose connections above deck? If so, with what you describe, most likely you already know the answer - which is not good.
Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noelm
14-05-2015, 05:49 PM
All the pipes should be stainless, and connections above decks, pretty common for them to crack, but it is also common for the pipes as they enter the tank to crack, so fuel splashes around and leaks out the top.