PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean 2400 Singles Vs Twin

marky_83
07-05-2015, 01:54 PM
hi there,
looking at my options when purchasing a Caribbean 2400 with regards to a going single 300 or new twin 150 mercs.
nearly all fishing is done inshore with occasional day out wide.

what sort of setup does this boat perform best with?

thanks
Mark

Smithy
07-05-2015, 07:19 PM
There is a guy on here, Matt, Playtime is his name maybe, who has one with a 300hp Yammie single. I reckon in this day and age of Epirbs, VHF repeater channels etc. a single is fine. Twins are going to cost more initially and servicing and potentially less efficient due to water drag of the second leg. Personally I'd go turbo diesel to a leg after owning my first diesel.

Bustedoff
07-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Bluewater mag did a review last year on one with twin 150 mercs, it was the recommended setup, although as mentioned more expensive

myusernam
07-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Nearly all fishing done inshore with only occasional offshore.... Sure u need to go that big of a boat? lot of expense and weight. Single all the way in that case.

marky_83
11-05-2015, 08:41 AM
thanks for all the replies.
will further investigate the single option.

myusernam
11-05-2015, 10:00 AM
dont know wjhy you are set on the 2400 (nice boat for sure) but if you look at it's weight and unwieldiness, if you are mainly fishing inshore, you may be far better of with a smaller boat. Even the reef runner at 6m is a hell of a lot more manageable and still comfortable offshore. Even with a bigger boat, you still end up only going out on the same days. The xos trailerboats like the 2400 have plenty of compromises that you may not need to make given your stated use

marky_83
12-05-2015, 03:16 PM
Gday myusername- not set on the 2400 by anymeans.
open to suggestions by all means.
cheers
mark

myusernam
12-05-2015, 10:40 PM
look mate carribians are great boats no question. but even in the carribian range, what you are describing
your intended use for... it's not ideal. I have trouble emphasising the disadvantages of big boats, and they might sound trivial when you compare the features and space
on a show room floor, but rest assured that small difference in length (ie betweer a reef runner at 6m or a 595 cruisecraft for example) and the 24 carrabian is a huge difference in weight, towing, usability etc. At the end of the day it doesnt translate in cost and useability on the water unless you really demand it. It's not as though you head out when others are left on the bank or anything. and the extra effort and headaches the size makes is a definate contender. .The smaller the boat the less it will cost, the easier it is to use, the more you will use it. full stop. go the smallest you can get away with to meet your needs. The carrabian 24 is an XOS trailerboat, with many of the disadvantages of bigger boats and less of the advantages of many smaller. perhaps look to what other people who regulary do trips to where you want to go and do have and replicate that. Im guessin the 24 wont feature.. Have a look at the reef runner with single 200 for example.
hardtop. double bed. still over 6m long (the magic length for offshore). Still capable offshore (same spots). about a ton lighter.