PDA

View Full Version : Ethanol mandate for fuels in Queensland

McKnight
07-05-2015, 07:30 AM
Queensland parliament quietly passed a motion last night for mandatory ethanol blended fuel. It was supported by pretty much every one in parliament (LNP, Labour, and independents).

I haven't seen issues first hand (I haven't been boating that long) but I am sure a lot of the people on here have and would be concerned about this development.

Edit: to clarify it was not legislation, it was a motion to support the mandate of a minimum percentage of ethanol in ethanol blended fuels.

"That this House:
1. Supports an ethanol mandate in fuel;

2. Instructs the government to form an implementation board to:

(a) consult stakeholders and consumers;

(b) determine preferred levels for ethanol content in fuel sold in Queensland;

(c) consider potential impacts on consumers and any appropriate protections; and

(d) determine timeframes for the introduction of those mandated ethanol levels; and

3. Requires the implementation board to report back to the parliament by no later than 30 October 2015."

Crunchy
07-05-2015, 07:58 AM
Wrong button sorry, yeh that's totally rediculous...there needs to be options for boat and other non ethonal suitable engines...

Crunchy
07-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Queensland consumers would still have a choice, but the fuel with ethanol in it, would have a mandated amount.

Looks like its not an "all fuels have to contain ethonal" type situation

Chimo
07-05-2015, 09:37 AM
This is what has been done to deal with this issue in the US and Canada which obviously concerns boat and plane owners.

http://pure-gas.org/ Extracted from the THT site.

Maybe something along the same lines needs to happen here perhaps along with a note indicating if tanks are leaking and contain fouled fuel eg Back in Black's situation.

Cheers
Chimo

Back In Black
07-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Great, something else to filter out>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Cloud_9
07-05-2015, 10:32 AM
so where can we find info on the legislation?

PixieAU
07-05-2015, 10:46 AM
I understand premium petrol is no affected

Chimo
07-05-2015, 12:05 PM
So Tony where do you get the filter to take ethanol out?

Chimo

myusernam
07-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Queensland consumers would still have a choice, but the fuel with ethanol in it, would have a mandated amount.

just a guess but seems to me that they have just mandated that the e10 must be 10%, and not up to 10 which is what it was. can still buy the good stuff. Situation normal

McKnight
07-05-2015, 12:37 PM
https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/documents/hansard/2015/2015_05_06_DAILY.pdf

scroll down to page 52, it has more detail.

captain rednut
07-05-2015, 09:33 PM
I hope everyone on this site has done there own research on ethanol fuels and strongly oppose it at every level to avoid more unnecessary damage to our fuel systems on marine engines not to mention cars lawn mowers and so on.
Ethanol is highly corrosive and clogs up your fuel system, it affects performance and is not economical to use in any boat.

Back In Black
08-05-2015, 06:11 AM
So Tony where do you get the filter to take ethanol out?

Chimo

I was going to ask you that!

Feral
08-05-2015, 06:15 AM
I absolutely cacked myself when I heard that it was the LNP who moved the motion for the mandate after all the naysayers on here whinging that that is what labor would do if elected!
Hilarious!

weeman
08-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Seems like they all want to keep the cuckoo.. I mean Katter party on side.

DATCOL
08-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Looks like time for boats to run on LPG

Chimo
08-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Just do one of these when the time comes, if it does; http://pure-gas.org/

Danf
30-11-2016, 01:55 AM
What could be some of the effects the Queensland Ethanol mandate will have on the boating fraternity? Will the reduction in ULP availability at some fuel outlets force the purchase of more expensive premium 95 or 98 unleaded petrol?
I have read where the mandate will increase from 2% to 3% in 2017 to 4% in 2018. This mandate I believe, forces fuel outlets to meet minimum requirements for the sale of ethanol-blended regular unleaded petrol, that is, 2% of their fuel sales have to be biofuel based. On the Qld fuel mandate website, it states “Queensland motorists will still be able to choose the fuel that they wish to use in their engine”. Maybe at a higher price though!

Lovey80
30-11-2016, 02:27 AM
Fuel without ethanol will likely be cheaper than without ethanol regardless of legislation. I just hope it isn't artificially so because of government meddling.

i would like to see them legislate that fuels with ethanol be clearly signed at bowsers and large fines implemented for adding ethanol to fuels that aren't identified as such either through intent or negligence.

Noelm
30-11-2016, 05:45 AM
I think more and more "blended" fuels are just a fact of life, almost anything made in the last 10 years or so will run perfectly OK with a high percentage of ethanol, we just need to get used to it.

Feral
30-11-2016, 05:55 AM
What I find interesting is the misconception that ethanol fuel benefits the sugar industry.
Guess who owns all the ethanol infrastructure down at Pinkenba? - Grainco.

Danf
30-11-2016, 05:59 AM
I think more and more "blended" fuels are just a fact of life, almost anything made in the last 10 years or so will run perfectly OK with a high percentage of ethanol, we just need to get used to it.

There is a general belief by many boating groups that ethanol based fuel is "NOT RECOMMENDED" for marine use. I have seen fuel bowsers with this notice on them.
While there are many stories about the benefits of bio fuels, there are quite a few negative ones as well. I for one, do not want to be forced to use a fuel where there is a higher risk of water absorption. Ethanol is hydroscopic. Ethanol's solvent qualities will also be detrimental to old fuel tanks and lines. The list goes on......

Noelm
30-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Not saying it is great, but just that it's a fact of life, you mention fuel lines and tanks, then "old" ....modern fuel lines and tanks are no problem at all, and by modern, probably less than 15 years old! Lots of products are hydroscopic, including brake fluid, but no one panics about that! it is less than ideal, but it's what we get when greenies and the like tell us what's good for us.

up the creek
30-11-2016, 03:36 PM
if there is no 91ron and its 10% ethanol i will be using 95ron may cost me 15c a litre more, but i aint putting sugar in my brand new motor.. in days gone by sugar in a fuel tank was what people done to there enemies and we all know how a motor run with sugar in the tank.. i dont care what they say ill drink sugar in me rum but me motor aint getiin any in it..

Crunchy
30-11-2016, 04:36 PM
hydroscopic

Hygroscopic,but don't feel bad, lot's of people make that mistake...

TheRealPoMo
30-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Brake fluid is in a sealed system Noelm but even so requires replacement periodically.
Doesn't worry me as the GM donk diesels on anything under 95 anyway.

Noelm
30-11-2016, 08:00 PM
Hygroscopic,but don't feel bad, lot's of people make that mistake...
Yep, I knew that, must have had a "moment" while typing.

BM
01-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Looks like time for boats to run on LPG

Funny you mention that. I did a LOT of research a few years back about setting up to convert boats to LPG. Mainly large cruisers which had the capacity for LPG cylinders to be mounted on the foredeck and look like RFD's. Lots of hurdles and issues but it's certainly doable. I have a 25 Berty and I might look at converting this as a test case.

Fed
01-12-2016, 06:54 PM
Lots, but don't feel bad, lots of people make that mistake.

Feral
02-12-2016, 05:18 AM
Was at Costco yesterday, signs on their bowsers, they will only be selling E10 from 1 January, no real stuff. Looks like I wont be getting my fuel there for much longer.....

Luc
02-12-2016, 08:57 AM
I recall reading an article that mentioned it takes more energy to make one liter of ethanol than the energy you get from burning that liter.

If that's the case, ethanol is not "green".

hainsofast
02-12-2016, 11:36 AM
I recall reading an article that mentioned it takes more energy to make one liter of ethanol than the energy you get from burning that liter.

If that's the case, ethanol is not "green". suppose it depends how the energy to make it is produced? If it is by low carbon, or carbon neutral sources (i.e. solar) then it would be green.

TheRealAndy
02-12-2016, 09:23 PM

If that's the case, ethanol is not "green".

And there is (or was) a well respected marine biologist here on this forum that showed a lot of damage to the GBRMP is associated with chemical run off from cane farms which as I understand is the primary source for ethanol.

Lovey80
03-12-2016, 11:28 AM
And there is (or was) a well respected marine biologist here on this forum that showed a lot of damage to the GBRMP is associated with chemical run off from cane farms which as I understand is the primary source for ethanol.

And yet I think that is refuted by Walter Stark?

Axl
07-12-2016, 01:11 PM
Hopefully no one will buy it as seemed to happen last time they tried to introduce this rubbish, if no one buys it then they will stop making it.