PDA

View Full Version : Anchor shock absorbber

MEG-A-BITE
05-05-2015, 02:17 PM
Any one ever use an anchor shock absorber. I would think it would help with the anchor holding the bottom, would think its something one could make up.
Any ideas?

aussiebasser
05-05-2015, 02:38 PM
A big plumber's O Ring tied into the rope

The Woo
05-05-2015, 02:41 PM
More or heavier chain is a great shock absorber. Obviously the chain lies on the seabed and is lifted by the boat's surging, then lowered, then lifted.....

Have also used one of these for many years when using a reef pick.
https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=148&item=182&intAbsolutePage=2
Designed to help you drive off and lift the anchor, they also work as the float is clipped onto the rode once you have let nearly all the rode out you need, then you clip it on, let out some more so the float rides the waves as a shock absorber. The clip won't allow the rope to come back to the boat.

Chimo
05-05-2015, 03:16 PM
I used one of the whitworth things on a 10 mm rope and it stuffed the arrangement of the the 3 plats of the silver warp. might be better on nylon. Still have it in the shed and now just use a ring.
Double the length of your chain if you want to get rid of jarring and other shock loads as the Woo suggested

Cheers
Chimo

Noelm
05-05-2015, 03:41 PM
Plenty just use big rubber pipe seals, the size depends on the boat, but they need to be pretty strong, I use one about 20mm and about 450mm diameter, I have a short piece of heavier rope about 2-3m long, with an eye spliced in one end (to put over the bow bollard) and a rubber sewer pipe ring spliced into the other end, just anchor as usual, when the desired amount of rope is out, tie the anchor rope to the rubber ring, and flip the eye splice over the bollard, job done.... There is a couple of refinements to the system, but I can't be bothered.

Crunchy
05-05-2015, 07:10 PM
bycycle inner tubes work perfectly, connect one end to short length of rope and then to bollard other end to a short length of rope then to a shark clip, let anchor out leaving some slack and clip shark clip to anchor rode so that tube takes the strain...make sense?

scottar
05-05-2015, 08:04 PM
There are commercial devices available or the above plumbers "o" ring/bike tube will work to. Regardless of what you use make sure it fits into the assembly without "breaking" the anchor line so that if the shock absorber fails you don't lose your anchor or worse.

fisho64
05-05-2015, 10:15 PM
using the float as The Woo mentioned above is the easiest, though a weight used in exactly the same manner has the same effect.
Usually the snatching is worst in shallow water when too much line is let out-this removes the effect of catenary in the anchor rope.

MyWay
05-05-2015, 11:13 PM
this could work as anchor shock absorbber http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Marine-Dock-Line-Mooring-Snubber-22-x-1-2-High-Quality-Rubber-/251161792299
+1 for extra long chain

Noelm
06-05-2015, 04:22 AM
A bike tube might be OK for a canoe.... it will be useless for a bigger boat with any swell or wind!

Crunchy
06-05-2015, 08:54 AM
A bike tube might be OK for a canoe.... it will be useless for a bigger boat with any swell or wind!

Pigs arse, they last for years and when they deterorate you just go the bike shop and get another one for free.

Camhawk88
06-05-2015, 10:08 AM
My local bike shop doesnt stock pigs arses. I might try the butcher- these things sound good.

MEG-A-BITE
06-05-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks, thought of the bike tube but don't want to make connection loops in my anchor rope. Its also go to roll on to the drum winch.

Smithy
06-05-2015, 01:04 PM
I use the Ezy Lift clip as my shock absorber on my buoy too. For my parachute after trying everything and breaking them all I have settled on this little number.

https://whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=51510&search123=shock&intAbsolutePage=1

Still won't help you with a winch setup.

Crunchy
06-05-2015, 01:47 PM
My local bike shop doesnt stock pigs arses. I might try the butcher- these things sound good.[/QUOTEJ

Just my way of saying to Noel - "Hey buddy that's not quite right"

[QUOTE=MEG-A-BITE;1587361]Thanks, thought of the bike tube but don't want to make connection loops in my anchor rope. Its also go to roll on to the drum winch.

You don't have to change the anchor rope - see pic. Total cost about $5.00 if bike retailer will give you a punctured tube, ask for a heavy duty one.

Camhawk88
06-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Yeah I dont think it is quite right either. However if they are elastic enough and I can source them without making a trip to the local piggery armed with a knife, Im happy to bypass my animal ethics and give it a "crack"

MEG-A-BITE
06-05-2015, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=Camhawk88;1587359]My local bike shop doesnt stock pigs arses. I might try the butcher- these things sound good.[/QUOTEJ

Just my way of saying to Noel - "Hey buddy that's not quite right"

You don't have to change the anchor rope - see pic. Total cost about $5.00 if bike retailer will give you a punctured tube, ask for a heavy duty one.

Thanks mate that's a good idea, whats the shark clip ?

Crunchy
06-05-2015, 04:07 PM
spearo's use them

scuttlebutt
06-05-2015, 07:03 PM
I've been using an Ezy-lift clip on a buoy for a few years. Works well as you can set it a few metres away from the boat and the buoy acts as a shock absorber. Most deckies can't figure it out though so I do all the clipping/unclipping.

Noelm
06-05-2015, 07:28 PM
Just be very careful with anything like clips and shackles and stuff, if/when the rubber breaks under tension, any clips will come right into the boat at warp speed, trust me, I know first hand, some decent current will have the rubber stretched to the extreme.

beaglebasher
06-05-2015, 08:03 PM
my local butcher sells pigs arses, they taste like shit

Crunchy
06-05-2015, 08:15 PM
Just be very careful with anything like clips and shackles and stuff, if/when the rubber breaks under tension, any clips will come right into the boat at warp speed, trust me, I know first hand, some decent current will have the rubber stretched to the extreme.

Never seen one break but if it did the clip would stay on the anchor rope and not come flying back into the boat