PDA

View Full Version : 60 tohatsu 4 stroke

adaml1754
01-05-2015, 05:41 PM
Hi guys and gals,

just looking at a new boat package if you read my last thread. I have convinced myself to put maximum horsepower on my boat 8-). My dealer has been very helpful with me changing my mind every 2 seconds, but I have been offered either a 60 hp tohatsu or a 60 hp Suzuki both four strokes.

Now the dealer and my research tell me the tohatsu is a bigger (cc, bore and stroke) motor and is made by Honda but I can't seem to find a decent review of anyone actually having one. This worries me a bit about buying one.

everyone seems to love the zuk so I can't go too wrong buying one.

Can anyone shed some light on it for me or should I stay away from the tohatsu as its untested and do either have a good or bad setup like handle?

Both are tiller steer models.

thanks Adam.

Moonlighter
01-05-2015, 06:38 PM
The Tohatsu is pure and simply the Honda 60 painted a different colour and with a Tohatsu badge stuck on it! So just think of it as a Honda.

Both are great motors, you might just check weights.

Seahorse
01-05-2015, 06:56 PM
I always thought tohatsu were made out of the merc factory

Seahorse
01-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Maybe bit better resell with suzuki. Just a thought

Noelm
01-05-2015, 06:59 PM
Yes, seahorse, they are, except the 4 strokes, which are Hondas, personally, unless the Tohatsu was cheap, I would get a "proper" Honda for resale reasons later on.

StevenM
01-05-2015, 07:56 PM
60 HP and above Toeys are repainted and badged Hondas

LittleSkipper
01-05-2015, 07:57 PM
At least the Tohatsu won't dissolve like a Suzuki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

astro66
01-05-2015, 09:16 PM
suckzuki is bottom of my list ....

Luke G
02-05-2015, 06:53 AM
Can you guys show some pics or a link to a dissolved suzuki?

Moonlighter
02-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Incorrect. Tohatsu have their own factory in Japan. Did the research on this some years ago before I put a Tohatsu TLDI 90 on my previous boat.

They have, or had (I haven't checked recently if it's still going) a joint venture with Merc to manufacture the smaller Merc motors up to about 40hp if I recall correctly, in the Tohatsu factory in Japan. So the smaller Mercs were/are Tohatsu's, not the other way around.

That said, I think ease of resale might favour the Suzuki, although I had no trouble whatsoever selling my last boat with the TLDI on the back.

This talk of Suzuki "dissolving" is just BS that is presumably a hangover from the old 2 stroke days. They are no more prone to corrosion than any other outboard. The way one or two people on here carry on about it is bordering on libellous.

astro66
02-05-2015, 09:40 AM
i went to buy a 50hp 4 banger zuki ....4 or 5 years old ....corroded out head and was leaking into the oil ....dodged a bullet on that one ...mechanic that looked at it told me dont touch a secondhand one its a common problem ...saving a bit more to buy a new honda/tohatsu have had three tohatsu with not one drama ....

Luke G
02-05-2015, 09:47 AM
i went to buy a 50hp 4 banger zuki ....4 or 5 years old ....corroded out head and was leaking into the oil ....dodged a bullet on that one ...mechanic that looked at it told me dont touch a secondhand one its a common problem ...saving a bit more to buy a new honda/tohatsu have had three tohatsu with not one drama ....

Sounds like it was poorly maintained, the anodes are in place for a reason....

astro66
02-05-2015, 01:14 PM
mechanic said ....water pipe runs through the sump helping cool the oil as well as the head ....corrodes out and starts out as a small leak you dont notice till its filling the sump ...

Moonlighter
02-05-2015, 03:06 PM
Water pipe thru sump ....... .?!! ::)

I was going to reply again, but then, I remembered.......

V

V

V

Luke G
02-05-2015, 03:15 PM
There's a sacrificial annode that will corrode long before the head does, unless its not maintained like any other motor. To say Suzuki's dissolve and never buy a second hand one is just plain stupid. You do realise that there are thousands of Suzukis running around in Australia and has been for over 10 years now? Sure there are the odd few that had issues like everyone else. Yamaha's earlier 4 strokes have issues with corrosion, just do a search on THT.

LittleSkipper
02-05-2015, 03:33 PM
I do remember reading a thread on here of a Suzuki owner who was less than happy to see a hole through his outboard, but I think that was from a bad batch of material used when the outboard was made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

madmaskbass
02-05-2015, 03:35 PM
ah now this explains why when I was in a local dealer yesterday I noticed that the tohatsu 60hp was near $11000! i took a very big double take as I just got a suzi 60 on my new boat for $9400 and that was not even pushing the dealer that hard...I know if I was buying second hand that i would have my doubts about purchasing for the premium $$ that the honda might bring..I would reckon your going to lose that money..Better to get the honda or just buy the Suzuki. couldn't be happier with mine once a permatrim was fitted!

stevej
02-05-2015, 07:27 PM

yamahas will do this just as easily if not serviced
tb I wouldn't buy any engine that's not got a filled in log book from a dealer or has been serviced by a mobile mechanic

adaml1754
02-05-2015, 10:21 PM
Thanks for al the replies this is the first I hear of the dissolving suzukis very interesting, I may have to search more into this.
So the tohatsu might be the go it's only 800 dearer then the zook,
as always I am not overly worried about resale so to speak I plan to having the boat 10 years at least

Feral
03-05-2015, 05:42 AM
If you planning on keeping it a long time,. ask about the service costs of the two motors. Might as well make sure one doesn't cost an extra 200 bucks a service!

davo
03-05-2015, 06:42 PM
Don't forget that the new Suzuki from 40 - 90HP are a whole different engine. Tohatsu don't exactly impress me with their warranty back up. They may be a Honda but you will have to deal with Lake side marine. Do some searches on the forum. My father had so much trouble with a 4 stroke which continually showed a low oil pressure light but he had to threaten them with legal action to get any warranty claim. Great motor, poor back up.

gr hilly
06-05-2015, 06:45 AM
I read all your threads and wanted to give you all a thumbs up would love to be on a good size boat with you all fishing we could talk all day about these two brands but i got mine and i am real happy a Tohatsu i got and 2 yrs ago it was allot cheaper to service than a few other brands i was looking at.

cheers all G R Hilly

Spaniard_King
07-05-2015, 05:31 AM
Also Check out the 60 Tohatsu is 3 yr warranty (through Lakeside marine) ... the 60 Honda now has a 7 year factory warranty (as of April 1 2015)

davo
07-05-2015, 08:08 PM
It's like buying a Tohatsu against the Mercury clone. The Mercury is better because it will more warranty.

tjotter
10-05-2015, 11:32 AM
... the 60 Honda now has a 7 year factory warranty (as of April 1 2015)

Does that transfer to new owner if sold ?

Spaniard_King
10-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Does that transfer to new owner if sold ?

As always with Honda Warranty it is transferred to the new owner until the warranty expires