PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl wraps

Boxhhhead
29-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Hi Everyone, my first post on the site, although i have been paid up for sometime. I enjoy the site mainly for the vast opinions and some sound knowledge among those opinions. I have recently bought for a good price, a Stacer Nomad 4.4m with a 50hp Merc 2 stroke on the back. i was aware that when i bought it it came with a few problems ie: the painted hull came with a wonderful heavy stone chipped patina, the trailer with the same stone chipped patina and the motor had some as well. The wiring was some of the worst i had seen, with multiple joins in the space of a 1.5m. The joins causing several failures in the few times i had it out on the Noosa River. Currently the boat is sitting in my driveway with the floor up and the wiring out and new going in and the console stripped back and being clad in Aligoss to give it a revamped look. The wiring is proving to be a puzzle but i am sure i'll get it right in the end. I suppose the reason for the post is a a couple of questions.

Has anyone on here had their boat vinyl wrapped? Were you happy with the result? What cost?
Is it a viable alternative to painting considering the stone chipping that already exists?

Cheers
Boxhhhead

aussiebasser
29-04-2015, 09:30 AM
The stone chipping will need to be fixed first otherwise you will see it through the vinyl wrap as air bubbles.

mitc69
29-04-2015, 01:56 PM
vinyl wraps only for cars, your just wasting $ on boats, hit some sand and it the same as stone chipping

Boxhhhead
29-04-2015, 04:53 PM
vinyl wraps only for cars, your just wasting $ on boats, hit some sand and it the same as stone chipping

Oh well it is probably going to stay the way it is then. I received a paint quote $3500-$4000. I suppose i am not going to look at it from the inside, the only time i will see it if it is sitting in the driveway or when i am dragging something in to it.

ozynorts
29-04-2015, 04:56 PM
A vinyl wrap is fine above the water line but below would be a waste of money.

aussiebasser
29-04-2015, 05:25 PM
G$4000 for a repaint on a 14 foot Tinnie is Highway Robbery. You could just about buy a new painted hull for that.

mitc69
29-04-2015, 06:23 PM
there a paint shop in underwood brisbane that sell marine paint for like 80$ and hempel for 140$.. buy yourself an air compression from auto barn about 100-200 and off u go or just manually paint it yourself if your not too fuss how it looks... 4000$ i would tell any painter to get bent :)

chocolatemoose
29-04-2015, 11:40 PM
i wouldnt even bother with an air compressor. good toplac paint from international is nice and self leveling with a good brush.. looks solid. glossy and chrisp

unless you want awesome graphics.... different story then :P

Coontakinta
30-04-2015, 05:50 AM
They look nice and can add some individuality to your rig but if you fish any kind of structure and will occasionally see the need to retrieve lures from there then you will be in a world of pain or leaving a lot of lures behind.

Trend Signs
05-07-2015, 08:26 AM
The stone chipping will need to be fixed first otherwise you will see it through the vinyl wrap as air bubbles.

This statement is not true... The film will contour to the stone chips and or scratches the same way paint would... I have wrapped a lot of boats and no bubbles are created at all.
The correct film is an extremely high quality product that looks like a finished painted surface.

Every customer I have had are always totally blown away when they come and pick up their boat weather its a plain colour or a printed image.
A printed image will hide a lot of imperfections over a plain colour. All printed films should also have a clear layer over the print.

if you guys have any questions about Boat Vinyl Graphic Wraps please ask me....
I do it for a living so I can provide answers backed with 20 years of experience in vinyl graphic and films.

Trend Signs
05-07-2015, 08:38 AM
FYI:

Boat wraps are also available in hundreds of plain colours, metallics and opal pearl colours.

Boat wraps also are available as Graphic Wraps where a high resolution image, photos or artworks are printed onto highest quality cast films with a clear gloss layer applied over the print.

Boat wraps are always kept to boat sides and tops etc.
No under hull applications due to obvious reasons.

Hope I have provided some clarity.;)

hakuna
08-07-2015, 07:27 PM
I drag spanner pots over mine for 4 yrs now and no marks, no issues

cheers

russ71
08-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Im happy with mine.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109849&stc=1

Seahorse
10-07-2015, 08:07 AM
Hey boxhead
mate of mine paints boats and a 14 ft tinny at $4000 is bot over the top.
Must need shitloads of prepwork.
2k paint and primer isnt expensive.I know because I sell it.

greg