PDA

View Full Version : Stanage Bay advice please!

Still_Dreamin
28-04-2015, 12:29 PM
I am contemplating a week trip to Stanage. I have a 1750 Tournament with 90 lt tank and range of approx 180km. A few questions
1) Is it fibreglass friendly given the dirt road in? If so what precautions do you take to protect the hull?
2) given my small fuel tank should I take some jerry cans to extend range?
3) I have a Saragosa 5000 with 30lb braid on 30lb gloomis, a tld 20 with 50lb mono on 15-24kg rod and a tekota 200 on 15-24kg stick yet to be spooled with line. Are these sufficient?

If I think of more I will post them as I go.

BAR UP
28-04-2015, 08:13 PM
I have a full boat cover, come over and have a look at my trailer and damaged paintwork from the rocks. If the weather is ok and you venture off shore you will need extra fuel, better to be safe than sorry. You fishing gear will be ok for most species except the GT'S and big Queenfish. I have 18000 Stella and Demon blood popping rod with 80lb braid and 130lb leader for the big ones.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108522&stc=1http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108522&stc=1http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108522&stc=1http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108522&stc=1

BAR UP
28-04-2015, 08:22 PM
Don't know why the photo copied 4 times.

Still_Dreamin
28-04-2015, 08:35 PM
because it is an awesome rig!;D

So are you saying even with that cover it still damaged the paint work?

The Black Unicorn
28-04-2015, 08:55 PM
I thought boats with execs were already considered damaged ;D

Flex
28-04-2015, 09:11 PM
Towed my Kevlacat in last year. I have mates who tow their glass boats and their is no issue. Just take it easy and you'll be fine. Took me 3h to do the 90km.

id take a couple of jerry cans for longer runs. But you don't need to go super far from stanage. Hexam/cannibal islands are around 50km. High peak is approx 70km out and gets exposed to a a bit more ocean swell.

pick your weather because the tides and wind can get a touch nasty at times. But your boat should be fine.

great fishing down near cannibals, hexams and further out. Marbles get hammered a bit.

good luck

goona
28-04-2015, 10:23 PM
Hey Still Dreaming,

We do an annual trip and have done 6 trips so far with a day trip to the swains from there. We camp on the Percy island group as you use less fuel an get in more fishing time. You need to protect your boat and the rocks flicking up will damage fiberglass. My alli boat has chips in it same as the motor leg even though we tape it up and encapsulate it in a removalist blanket. Do a search for "Goona Stanage" the first one is a photo of what I do to the boat. You should also get a fair bit of info from the posts as well. Fuel wise that will be heaps if you are based at Stanage. Percy group as with a lot of the islands up there is about 65klms out so you will have about 50klm of running around while you are out there. It is a lot of effort but definitely worth it.

Goona

Horse
29-04-2015, 07:48 AM
The road has a lot of road base now so you will throw rocks. Shade cloth around the trailer helps as does a rubber flap across your rear bumper.
A group of us will be in town from the 16/5/15 until 30/5/15 so if in town drop by Thirst Views and say G'day

Still_Dreamin
29-04-2015, 08:52 AM
The road has a lot of road base now so you will throw rocks. Shade cloth around the trailer helps as does a rubber flap across your rear bumper.
A group of us will be in town from the 16/5/15 until 30/5/15 so if in town drop by Thirst Views and say G'day

Looks like will miss you by a week. Probably going 6 June. At least i will be able to check your report!!

Still_Dreamin
29-04-2015, 08:55 AM
I thought boats with execs were already considered damaged ;D

Ha ha there is always one. Haven't seen any threads on faulty ETEC for along time but there have been a few for Yamaha. So much for yamahardness!!
All brands have their issues at some stage.
Just sayin......

BAR UP
30-04-2015, 07:41 PM
The rocks somehow find there way inside the full cover. My trailer is sand blasted from rocks as Horse said the road base really gets flying.

Rip it up
30-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Make sure you remember things like transducers and water pickups. I forgot and had peppered the transducer to resemble a golfball.

If I go up again I will probably mount some cheap plywood under the trailer and use shade cloth from trailer up to the gunnels.
Another interesting scenario was I had 2x bearing caps removed by flying rocks. So look at the ute rear Tyres and get a full width rubber flap to deflect them.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.

Horse
01-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Yea, your bearing buddies either rattle off or get knocked off. Not a good thing on the dirt road

Almako
01-05-2015, 08:27 AM
I use a little bit of red lock tight on my bearing buddies. You have to clean the grease from around the outside of the hub.
Just don't splash it around. Seems to work for me for on road use not been off road.

AndrewB
01-05-2015, 02:33 PM
I have done thousands of km on dirt roads over the years and bearing buddies will always fall off on dirt roads.

Rip it up
02-05-2015, 09:33 PM
I run the durahubs with oil inside.

100% dry install on fresh hubs and solvent washed at install. I used loctite green high strength retaining compound.

But yes it's no match for a 4" stone at 75kph. I have some wicked dints in the durahubs from the return trip.

I like to think of them as war wounds of epic battles. And good times dribbling shit with the mates.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.