PDA

View Full Version : What type of deep cycle battery do I require?

simsavage
24-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Hey Guys,

I have recently acquired a new electric (55lb) motor and a lowrance fish finder. My boat has an electric start motor which I'm running with a normal battery (not a deep cycle).
I'm not overly great with battery types. I am looking to buy a deep cycle for my new motor and fish finder but I don't know what size to get as there seems to be a pretty broad range of deep cycles out there.

I have also heard of people connecting both batteries together in some sort of dual charging system with an isolater? (Sorry if I'm completely off track)

Any advice would be great!!!

Cheers,
Simon

Dan5
24-04-2015, 09:20 AM
A basic set up will be with an AGM battery and a VSR......(Voltage sensitive relay)........What it means is that when you run your boat the relay will let your main motor battery charge first and when it get's back to a fully charged state it will then charge your electric out board battery.

I run a 120Ah battery for my 55lb electric and so far have ran it for around 15hrs without a charge and still had plenty of battery life left.........I don't run a VSR.......I have one to install but have not done it yet and don't really thing I have a need for it as I charge it at home from a 240v stepped charger.

A decent 100-120 AH battery will be around the $300 mark and a VSR around $200 + plus cables,wire,terminations etc etc.........

Dan