PDA

View Full Version : Us boat trailer

outta line
20-04-2015, 09:26 PM
So I have found a boat in the us on a over width trailer outside of tyre -outside of tyre measurement of 102 inches .. 2.59m..

Has as anyone cheated and registered this size trailer in QLD

yes I know that the permit for import has to say. 2.5 m and the legal with is 2.5m

I have thought of ideas and ways around it like swapping rims with a different offset or narrower axels

not too worried about the guard width as that will be a easy fix
And will need to do safety chains E/OH breakaway

Always knew the trailer would be a problem with importing
other option is getting a new one built

baitable
20-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Hate to say it but the boat is over width as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outta line
21-04-2015, 05:45 AM
The boat is not an issue being over sized ..I thought that The max width in Australia for a trailer is 2.5.. I'll go down transport department today and find out .. Maybe it's not a problem if the boat is oversized after all oversize is oversize as long as I run flags

gford001
21-04-2015, 05:55 AM
I looked into this a while back. The company that you're using to import can usually get an Aussie spec trailer made for you. Pretty reasonable price too.

ozynorts
21-04-2015, 07:21 AM
I remember a while ago that another guy had the same issue and got around it by changing the rims.
They will measure it when you go to register it so it will need to comply.

aussiebasser
21-04-2015, 11:41 AM
Make sure you ask them to send you an imperial tow ball to fit that coupling if you intend to use it. 2" Couplings rattle on 50mm balls, and that coupling may be bigger than 2".

Dan5
21-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Make sure you ask them to send you an imperial tow ball to fit that coupling if you intend to use it. 2" Couplings rattle on 50mm balls, and that coupling may be bigger than 2".

I have a feeling that with our ADR rules that a pressed trailer coupling was infact no good any way.....pretty sure this had been raised on here before also...?

aussiebasser
21-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Apparently, my trailer which has a pressed coupling is legal in Queensland, it's been roadworthied twice, but it is not legal in NSW.

Noelm
21-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Yep, in NSW they do not comply, but, there is still heaps of them in use, probably just depends on who does the check?

rayken1938
21-04-2015, 03:52 PM
I agree with baitable the boat is also over 2.5 wide so you will be subject to restrictions towing it.
These include class of tow vehicle, Overwidth signage ,speed restrictions andrestrictions of time of day and also days that you will be legally able to tow. Local cops may ignore you but transport guys will pull you over and ground you.
They had a oversized boat pulled up in the skateboard ground at Victoria point on Sunday. I suggest that you check it all out before committing to purchase .

Cheers
Ray

myusernam
21-04-2015, 04:56 PM
yeah id just change the rims and get the trailer regod at least

outta line
21-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Thanks for replays ...
Coupling will get changed and I'll run a new E/OH breakaway