PDA

View Full Version : Which one: Burrum Heads, 1770, Turkey Beach or Stanage

Gumby_III
19-04-2015, 08:44 AM
Hi all

Now that my daughter has started school, I have to take time off during the school holidays and take her fishing. We have just returned from a very enjoyable week at Tannum. Just back and already thinking about the trip for the June/July school holidays.

Which one of the above would go to?

Some relevant info is:

boat is a Bar Crusher 640C
tow vehicle is a Patrol
could get access to a 12ft tinnie if place going needed a small boat as well (but would prefer just to take one boat)
keen to chase some reef fish, would especially like to get some Reds as have only caught 3 or 4 and only one keeper. Would be nice to chase some mackerel as well
would be good to be some where for protected fishing with my daughter as well targeting whiting or bream
will be away for a week
leaving from Brisbane

My thoughts are:

Burrum Heads has the advantage that river is protected as well as access out the mouth and closer to Brisbane
1770 is probably better fishing and also offers the protected estuary for fishing
Turkey Beach is a bit more remote and limited accommodation options although will most likely be looking for a holiday house regardless of location chosen
Stanage would be great but a lot further than the others and a bit worried about the drive in. Would be good to be able to put a few pots for crabs.

Any other suggestions of places to consider?

Cheers

Mark

shaungonemad
19-04-2015, 09:51 AM
Rainbow beach is where I like to go plenty of options and variety.

perko
19-04-2015, 10:15 AM
I would head to turkey beach as long as you could handle sandflies. I had a holiday house up there for 10 years and the fishing was awesome. Always somewhere to go in any weather. Great creek, offshore and crabbing. Plenty of holiday houses there to.

Gumby_III
19-04-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks shaungonemad and perko for your posts.

Rainbow beach is where I like to go plenty of options and variety.

Where do you launch from at Rainbow Beach? Carlo Point? I'm not experienced at bar crossings and therefore not sure I want to learn on the Wide Bay Bar? Is beach launching at Double Island an option?

I would head to turkey beach

I have a leaning towards Turkey Beach or Stanage, just worried how the daughter and my mum will go with being so remote and the rough road and distance to get to Stanage for only 9 days (7 once you take a days travel up and day back out).

Thanks again for the comments and welcome any more suggestions.

Cheers

Mark

scottar
19-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Tin Can Bay is always an option as well. If you stay local do a bar crossing course beforehand.

Moonlighter
19-04-2015, 01:16 PM
1770 is fantastic, although with a young family you may want somewhere a bit more family friendly. I agree, Stanage and Turkey are too hardcore fishing really for the wives and kids.

Burrum Heads is a great option, although we prefer Woodgate Beach, on the other side of the Burrum River. Drive to Childers and turn right onto the Goodwood Road, then turn right at Goodwood. Oh and by the way, stop at Mamminos on outskirts of Childers for one of their famous ice creams !

For small kids, Woodgate is simply brilliant. They can ride their bikes on the quiet streets, kangaroos wander around the place in mobs, there is a nice safe sandy beach where you can relax while the kids splash on the edge, no surf to speak or unless there is a cyclone around! Walkway along the beach and BbQs and tables. My boys loved it when they were younger, and even now, they say they would love to go back. My wife who is not a fishing person, loved how quiet and relaxed is is there. Walks in the national park behind the houses. In fact, you will never be more than 2 blocks from the water, there is just the esplanade then 2 rows of streets behind it, then the national park.

But still just 30 min run to Bundaberg or back out to the highway at Childers. Lots of good houses to rent. As a family fishing and relaxing spot, it is my favourite from all the ones you listed. A few sandflies in some spots, just stay in the main section towards the caravan/bowls club end, not the northern end as you just enter the town, near the hardware estate, too many sandflies up that end!

On the fishing front, we launch the larger boats into the Burrum at Walkers Point, only 10 mins drive from Woodgate village. Decent 2 lane ramp. Good carpark. Then your choice - anywhere in the river will keep you busy with the usual estuary suspects including Barra and jacks, threadies and grunter. And crabs and prawns.

Or head out the leads, no bar to cross, the drop off is only a couple of k's out, you can get good mackerel there. Or go up to Woodgate artificial, or out to the Burrm 4 mile or 8 mile reefs. Mackerel, reef fish, Pelagius found there.

Wider again, there are plenty of options, all the way out to the gutters if you are chasing those red fish.

You can also launch from the ramp directly into the bay near the pub, but it is exposed and can be difficult in the afternoon northerlies.

Regardless of which choice you take, here is the secret sandfly repellent recipe, apply liberally. We first used it at Turkey Beach, may years ago, and it worked great. Trust me, if it keeps TB sandflies off, it will beat any of the others too! And it has none of the nasty chemicals in it.

1/3 each: Dettol, baby oil, metho, in a spray bottle, shake well.

shaungonemad
19-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Where do you launch from at Rainbow Beach? Carlo Point? I'm not experienced at bar crossings and therefore not sure I want to learn on the Wide Bay Bar? Is beach launching at Double Island an option?

Yeah launch at Carlo the Wide Bay Bar is the only bar I have ever crossed and with the right info and a sensible approach it isn't as daunting as you would think I have a 5.7m alloy half cab. I have seen it glassed out at times if you get a good day and have seen small tiller steer tinnies out there as well. From what I have seen if the conditions outside are good the bar is good.

scottar
19-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Is beach launching at Double Island an option?

If it is flat enough for you to beach launch that size rig at DI there will most likely be next to nothing on the bar. I would think you would be a lot more likely to get yourself into mischief trying to beach launch without ample bodies. Then you have the hassle of getting the rig either around the rocks at Rainbow or through Freshwater Road and then back through Leisha Track (I wouldn't want to try and don't recommend it) which would be difficult at best or a disaster at worst. If you do go with Rainbow or Tin Can plan on learning to cross the bar.

dan12345
19-04-2015, 07:20 PM
hey perko your private msg bank is full i tried to pm you but it ses your full up

CHEE-FEE
19-04-2015, 07:31 PM
We're going back to Burrum Heads again. Did a 3-day reccie in July last year, liked it, then did a week there in October, liked it even more; now we're already booked for 2 weeks this Christmas. We stay in a 4-unit block (2 up and 2 down) just near the river mouth. We are literally 25 metres from the water, and, even at "high peak" time, such as school holidays, there seems to be nobody there, despite the fact that all the caravan parks are full. It's nice and flat everywhere, which makes for good walking, and there is absolutely no rush to do anything. The IGA is well stocked and prices are similar to down here, the bait and tackle shop is good, the pie shop is good, and the Bowls club and the pub both have good meals at realistic prices and the beer is cold: winner. We also did Woodgate, but I just thought it was a tad pricey for what it is and what's there. I will say, though, the Bowls club there is an absolute cracker. With Burrum Heads, if you want to do the Tommy the Tourist thing, Hervey Bay is only about 25 minutes away. And the river is really appealing; I cannot wait to take the Horizon for a burn in there. In fact, when I was up there last, I only saw 2 or 3 big fishing boats; the rest were smaller Tinnies in various configurations, perfect for that place. And, Lake Monduran is only just up the road....

Cheers,
NICK

Gumby_III
19-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Tin Can Bay is always an option as well. If you stay local do a bar crossing course beforehand.

Thanks scotttar, the investment in doing a bar crossing course is probably worth it in any case, so if I go that direction, will look into it.

I have to admit, I would not like to consider beach launching without having another capable vehicle with me to attempt to get me out of trouble given the amount of weight involved in towing a boat that size.

copie
19-04-2015, 09:00 PM
What about Hervey Bay I must say I have holidayed all the way from Brisbane to Cooktown and as a holiday destination it is very hard to beat. Very good accommodation from houses to units and villas, plenty of shops, Bunning's, Woolworths,BCF and picture theatre.
All the take food items for that late return from fishing. Parks play grounds swimming pool and bike way the length of the esplanade and the beach is great and safe for the kids.
All the bait tackle ice and fuel that's required and the jetty offers another option. The boat ramp is second to none and does have a pontoon and plenty parking.
Fishing and boating is plentiful from nearby sand banks and the artificial reef, south through the straights and over to Kingfisher bay resort to an easy run all the way up to the top and everywhere in between of Fraser on reasonable days.
The trip 3.5-4.0 hours from Brisbane and good roads all the way.
Just a thought.

Mark