PDA

View Full Version : Bow rider help

Mark0
17-04-2015, 07:50 PM
Hi all,
i am looking around at the momemt at purchasing a second hand bow rider for the family and myself, just wanted feedback and opinions on what i am looking ai live at the gold coast.

I am trying to decide between somethink like a bayliner bow rider or quintrex freedom sport bow rider.

Looking to spend 20k or so get something with 150hours or less on motor.

They are very different boats and so far i think glass boats nicer ride, nicer interior but more to rip with hooks.

Aluminium rougher ride not as nicer boat better for fishing probably.

I currently only have a 3.7 tinnie so this is a step up for me, i want to be able to fish, ski, tube and just cruise.

I have found some stacer and quintrex with 75 mercs on them around 2006 for 17 to 19k.

Heaps of glass bow riders for sale with mercruiser 3ltr.

Servicings costs are close enought to not be concerned about.

Also is there a noticible diff from a 475 to say 530 reedom sports ?

Same question for 175 to 185 glass boats whats better ?

Would appreciate owners of any of these boats twlling me what they think.

I am not a every weekend fisherman, maybe 3 - 4 weeks between fishing atm.

We do like skiing but doing this on the gc somewhere would be new.

We do take boat on holidays now though, kids are 6 and 8 and love tubing atm my poor little 15hp merc just has enough guts to get them going ok in tube.

mitc69
17-04-2015, 08:41 PM
glass boat is the way to go, bayliner with an outboard is perfer... or cheaper version of Aluminium

scottar
17-04-2015, 09:01 PM
Bowriders aren't the best choice for it but if you are looking to fish offshore I would probably be looking at alloy. They will be more buoyant in the bow and a little less likely to submarine when crossing bars. There will be a quite substantial difference between 4.75 and 5.3 metres in offshore situations. The ride wont be as good with tin but I feel they would make a bit better multipurpose rig.

bugsytwoshoes
18-04-2015, 08:46 AM
Hi Mark0, Have a look at my post in the boating section under "Nice looking boat for the price" it may interest you.

hino310
18-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Hi mark

P.M Sent

Cheers Hino

TheRealPoMo
18-04-2015, 03:22 PM
I got a 185 Reinell with a 190 V6 Volvo with 70 freshwater (so it said) hours for about $22k. Bayliner uses Mercruiser but much the same. I like it - does family and casual fishing ok over to Moreton. Pick your weather tho. 4 cylinders too small I think. For me it looks better for the money sitting on the trailer in the drive than a tinnie...which is where it spends 95% of its time. That might provoke a response here but I'm honest about it...

Swanie1975
18-04-2015, 05:39 PM
I've got an old Haines signature 550 br (1996) which I fish offshore all the time in usually out to the 24/36s off the goldie. Never had an issue with it or been scared, handles the swell/waves fine. Re powered now with a modern four stroke, haven't been seasick since.

Used to have a glastron bowrider but it was more of a sheltered water boat in that we used to fill the nose up with water plenty of times, bit hairy occasionally lol. Find something with a decent hull design if you want to go offshore, not a Yankee lake boat. Just my opinion of course but then i wouldn't go for an inboard either.

cheers Ryan

Mark0
18-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Thanks all i would say i am not looking to go offshore, i never have been so no plans yet.

Just after a fun family boat that can use as multi purpose boat i think.

SummerTrance
18-04-2015, 09:57 PM
I previously had a Stacer 475 easyrider, with a 70hp 4 stroke. They are actually 495 in length including the mod pod transom. It was a great boat and I wish I still had it. Very suited for allround duites, and was good for fishing. I wouldnt get an inboard boat buts that just me. I'd also suggest that you should be looking for a 4 stroke motor. No one wants to be getting pulled along on the tube sucking down 2 stroke fumes. I have a 2 stroke on my current boat, and cant wait to get back to 4 stroke on my next boat