PDA

View Full Version : 4 Stroke Engine Service

Braddles
15-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Hi there,.

(Apologies up front if this should be somewhere else - mods please feel free to move - I couldn't see an outboard tab)

My 90HP Suzuki 4 stroke is now due its 100hr service (actually has 106hrs on it now).

Its booked in for Friday..

I have been quoted "roughly $500 - 600" for a service.

This seems VERY expensive to me - especially labour at $110/hr - that is just over the top in my opinion.

I'd be keen to know what others are paying for factory services on their 4 strokes.

I am Brisbane Southside - but happy to travel for excellent service / value.

Thanks in Advance,

Kind regards,

Brad.

scottar
15-04-2015, 04:01 PM
Labour rate is about industry standard. You are flat out getting the oil changed in your car by an apprentice for less than that nowadays. Think yourself lucky you aren't in Perth - $130 an hour over there. Overall figure sounds about normal from my experience.

stevej
15-04-2015, 04:11 PM
ask them for a written quote inc labour and parts

cant compare unless we know what they are doing and what teh parts are and what they are costing

Braddles
15-04-2015, 04:21 PM
I think a 100hr service is pretty standard on a Suzuki 4stroke. There are about 30 boxes to tick in the service book, and a place for the stamp.

Any additional parts /work required would be extra.

If I get this service work done by a qualified outboard mechanic - who carries out the service per the log book and signs it - will this void the warranty?

I don't think paying an outboard mechanic $110/hr lucky at all :-(

Dan5
15-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Seems fair if done thoroughly ,like Steve said make sure you get a parts breakdown on your invoice make sure the prop etc comes off shaft gets greased new impellor water pump housing inspected plugs out and inspected gear oil changed engine oil changed with filter grease linkages change fuel filter grease swivel tube and pivot mount check gear selector check anodes internal/external etc etc........theres a fair bit to them and hopefully they do everything like they should.

Dan

drpete
15-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Yeah just make sure they ARE quoting parts and labour. Often they quote labour PLUS parts. It can be confusing. Seems about right though price wise. I got a service on my 100Hp fourstroke Yammy a couple of months back and it was about $680.00 in total. Happy with the work though and they do do a lot of stuff (Replace plugs, fuel filter, oil filter, oil, impeller....) as well as test compression and battery health... I wouldn't necessarily do it EVERY year (I can do my own oil filter and plugs easy enough) but once in a while, it seems smart....

Jsmfun
15-04-2015, 04:50 PM
braddles. looks like im 100hrs in front of you
i have a 175hp suzi and the 20 hour service from one place was $600 that was a joke as he had it in the yard for 2 hours.a place in bundamba
100hr second service i got info from the good folk on ausfish and a few tackle stores they all suggested john at baysidemarine. i think i paid $450 and now im booked in for my 200hr and it will be around the same price. he gives you confidence in your service as he also gives you a printout of what you have done to your motor call him

cheers scott

Sleepydragon
15-04-2015, 05:33 PM
Hi there,.

(Apologies up front if this should be somewhere else - mods please feel free to move - I couldn't see an outboard tab)

My 90HP Suzuki 4 stroke is now due its 100hr service (actually has 106hrs on it now).

Its booked in for Friday..

I have been quoted "roughly $500 - 600" for a service.

This seems VERY expensive to me - especially labour at $110/hr - that is just over the top in my opinion.

I'd be keen to know what others are paying for factory services on their 4 strokes.

I am Brisbane Southside - but happy to travel for excellent service / value.

Thanks in Advance,

Kind regards,

Brad.

Hi Mate,

I am a poor Dad. A dealer quoted me $450 to service my Suzuki 50HP 4 strokes when I first started boating few years ago. For me $110/hr labour for the service is a rip off. I am not sure how you guys count the service time. You guys do it every 100hrs or once year or which ever comes first. It is a bit silly when I use my boat 20 Hhs per year and I have to pay $450. I only do my service base on hrs and order the service kit online.

Cheers

Jsmfun
15-04-2015, 06:18 PM
You people do realise that in the $110 per hour is also rent,insurance,electricity,staff and all the other overheads that needs to be paid to have a shop front?
why not find a guy who doe's it in his backyard and when he f-:,ks your motor or it blows up after 20 hours you can wear the cost instead of the guy that actually paid his insurance.

You people do realise how much boating cost's right
I do agree about being ripped and 600 is a lot so shop around

captain rednut
15-04-2015, 07:42 PM
You Took the words out of my mouth JSM and its obvious some people don't factor in the costs to operate a well run bussiness with a great showroom facilities and modern tools including diagnostic equipment, carrying huge amounts of stock which is dead money.
They may need to sell the boat and take up golf.
JIM

scottar
15-04-2015, 07:46 PM
You people do realise that in the $110 per hour is also rent,insurance,electricity,staff and all the other overheads that needs to be paid to have a shop front?
why not find a guy who doe's it in his backyard and when he f-:,ks your motor or it blows up after 20 hours you can wear the cost instead of the guy that actually paid his insurance.

You people do realise how much boating cost's right
I do agree about being ripped and 600 is a lot so shop around

Exactly. Just out of interest - how much do you expect to be charged an hour by the business owner who has the above overheads, has to carry and possibly pay overdraft on potentially $100 000 or more of stock, has to pay his staff to attend factory training etc. Does the owner deserve to pay himself a wage for providing punters the facility to have their equipment looked after? Sure, some blokes may charge more than others but it's up to you to decide whether to use a particular establishment. Unless you have seen the costs involved for a particular dealership to provide your service, you can't say someone is "ripping you off". Aussie marine businesses have been dropping like flies in recent years - that doesn't happen if they are making ridiculous profits.

Jsmfun
15-04-2015, 07:53 PM
You Took the words out of my mouth JSM and its obvious some people don't factor in the costs to operate a well run bussiness with a great showroom facilities and modern tools including diagnostic equipment, carrying huge amounts of stock which is dead money.
They may need to sell the boat and take up golf.
JIM
Lol mate I live near brookwater golf course and from what I've heard it's probably cheaper to go boating

Moejoes
15-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Agree, the only thing that comes up for free these days is the sun ;)
My twin 175 Suzi's cost me about $10 to $12 per hour to run depending what I get done. So $1000 to $1200 per 100hrs.
Singles probably cost around the $500 to $600 per 100hrs.
Just another cost that comes with owning a boat.

captain rednut
15-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Hey Moejoes
Im not sure im reading your post correctly?? you get your modern day fourstrokes serviced for $10-$12 per hour??? what are you doing them yourself??

Braddles
15-04-2015, 08:18 PM
i have a 175hp suzi and the 20 hour service from one place was $600 that was a joke as he had it in the yard for 2 hours.a place in bundamba
100hr second service i got info from the good folk on ausfish and a few tackle stores they all suggested john at baysidemarine. i think i paid $450 and now im booked in for my 200hr and it will be around the same price. he gives you confidence in your service as he also gives you a printout of what you have done to your motor call him

cheers scott

Hey Scott - Is this Ippy Lifestyle Centre by any chance?? I am nervous if so...

Moejoes
15-04-2015, 08:19 PM
Hey Moejoes
Im not sure im reading your post correctly?? you get your modern day fourstrokes serviced for $10-$12 per hour??? what are you doing them yourself??

Sorry Rednut,
I have adjusted it to read proper English :)
They cost me $1000 to $1200 per 100hrs for both.

Jsmfun
15-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Hey Scott - Is this Ippy Lifestyle Centre by any chance?? I am nervous if so...
Bingo now I drive over the bayside

PixieAU
15-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Hey Moejoes
I read it as $1000 - $1200 for each 100hr service (for two motors)

stevej
15-04-2015, 08:45 PM
i dont know any trade not charged out at under $100 a hour
your not paying just the $35 a ahour a mechanic earns but all the overheads to have him there

also wwhen in warranty you dont really have a choice and ive seen some of these so called cheap services, good luck when your engine disolves cause the guy never checked the internal annodes etc

Moonlighter
15-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Braddles, he is recommending Bayside Suzuki Marine at Cleveland, 4163. Jon Eadie is the owner.

I second that recommendation. Jon has serviced my outboards for over 10 years now, he's probably the best Suzuki tech in the State, if not nationwide. Happy for you to watch as he or one of his guys do the service.

i might add to the point about hourly rates. I recently had the Admiral's kitchen renovated. Project managed it myself, so had to organise plumbers, plasterers and electrician. The sparky was $99 per hour plus parts. The plumber $80. The plasterer charged per corner for the cornices!

All of these guys come to your house so they don't have workshops to maintain, laptops with diagnostic software, or much heavy equipment like forklifts etc that the outboard motor dealers have to have.

So you honestly can't say that $110 per hour to service your boat at their workshop is unreasonable by comparison. Maybe a mobile guy who comes to your house might be a bit less, maybe not.

Braddles
15-04-2015, 09:57 PM
THanks guys - I will look into Bayside - appreciate your help.

I am a business owner too - with massive overheads..

I don't want this thread to go down this route - but I think it is a very simplistic view to think that 1 boat being serviced at a time = $110/hr income for the business for which they must pay capital expenses. That is ridiculous.

There are 4 - 6 bays at any one time of boats / caravans / motorhomes / campers
You have to book weeks in advance
They sell Suzuki engines - and lots of them.
Horizon Boats
Caravans
Busy CHandlery and fit out...
Labour charges is massive
Parts - the mark up on parts is phenomenal

I could go on... but it is very unrealistic / simplistic to think a business has 100% resources on 1 item for that hour, and that is the sole income lol.

It would several thousand per hour!

I still think charging $110/hr, for labour, for someone who is paid 25% of that - when parts are charged at super inflated prices (profit there too) is unethical.

If I pay my nurse $35 hr - should I charge $140/hr to cover my overheads for pts she sees?

Just my opinion.

Brad.

Gon Fishun
15-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Well, you've got the Boss, the manager and maybe a 2IC, the receptionist, 1 for accounts receive,1 for accounts invoicing, probs 2 salesman, 1 service manager, 2 spare parts guy's, 10 mechanics??. If sales are not high they are relying on the workshop to cover wages, super, etc etc for everybody. Nobody else is bringing in a quid. I've worked in both small and large servicing industries when 1 was $35 hour compared to $65, and yes the labour rate in a large company does sound a lot but is necessary to survive.

scottar
15-04-2015, 10:31 PM
If I pay my nurse $35 hr - should I charge $140/hr to cover my overheads for pts she sees?

Brad.

Yes if it is required. It is also simplistic to think that businesses are busy 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year but that is simply not the case. Trade shows, slow business periods etc all impact on a dealerships week to week profit - some weeks you win, others you lose - welcome to the marine industry.

You're in the medical field - hourly rate????

stevej
15-04-2015, 11:56 PM
why so few boat dealers then if they are over charging ?
everyone would be in on it

just think you are out of touch with how it really is

creat
16-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Seems about right

Moejoes
16-04-2015, 10:39 AM

I don't want this thread to go

Just my opinion.

Brad.

Hi Brad,
If your in the medical industry, you'd probably charge nurses out at $250 /hr, so wouldn't your margins then be excessive?

hakuna
16-04-2015, 01:23 PM
just had Twins 115 4stroke serviced 200hrs, replaced plugs, oil, 2 x fuel filters in back of boat, impellors, etc $1100 for both, also come to my place which was a $85 fee

got computer print out for both motors

cheers

Peter

captain rednut
16-04-2015, 09:07 PM

I don't want this thread to go down this route - but I think it is a very simplistic view to think that 1 boat being serviced at a time = $110/hr income for the business for which they must pay capital expenses. That is ridiculous.

There are 4 - 6 bays at any one time of boats / caravans / motorhomes / campers
You have to book weeks in advance
They sell Suzuki engines - and lots of them.
Horizon Boats
Caravans
Busy CHandlery and fit out...
Labour charges is massive
Parts - the mark up on parts is phenomenal

I could go on... but it is very unrealistic / simplistic to think a business has 100% resources on 1 item for that hour, and that is the sole income lol.

It would several thousand per hour!

I still think charging $110/hr, for labour, for someone who is paid 25% of that - when parts are charged at super inflated prices (profit there too) is unethical.

Just my opinion.

Brad.
Hey Brad If you pay a nurse / tradesman /or any qualified worker $35 Per hour why wouldn't you charge them out for $110 per hour as they most probably have a Company Car - Fuel Card - Phone - Superannuation - Holidays Paid and not to mention they work out your $5000 per month rental premises and so on.
The owner of the company has to rely on the $75 per hour, Less expenses to survive averaging maybe $20 per hour to operate and let me assure you the cost of operating these days is ridiculous.
I would prefer to deal with a company whom has the qualified staff and all the equipment to do the job and pay $110 per hour rather then deal with some drop kick on $65 per hour working out of his car whom claims hes got 20 years experience and when the crap hits the fan he just packs up and runs away like so many so called tradies these days.
I think you need to come and pay some of my over heads every week to realize that the $110 Per hour is not so Sweet.

Braddles
16-04-2015, 10:20 PM
Hey Scottar;

Yes - I'm a Doctor.

Public in QLD - Salary - lest we forget lol.

In Private - bill by time (and complexity of case dictates the hourly unit rate) ... Why?

I am not mechanically minded at all unfortunately.

Braddles
16-04-2015, 10:28 PM
why so few boat dealers then if they are over charging ?
everyone would be in on it

just think you are out of touch with how it really is

I might be out of touch -

But having gone through the exercise of buying a Custom made Boat / Trailer / Engine and fitting it out.... I can ASSURE you it is no wonder why so many boat dealers don't last!

Bay Honda (now gone!) sold me a trailer for the boat that was ILLEGAL for the size of boat! The GVM for the trailer was 800kg under-rated. Absolute Negligence.

The trailer was too short. I couldn't hook the boat up to take delivery - without punching the rear window out in my 4WD due to the bowsprit....

The fold away draw bar - Oceanic Trailers had cut the draw bar before the jocky wheel, so when you folded it up - the front of the boat would collapse to the ground lol.

The people who did fit out - fitted Stainless rod holders into a plate alloy boat with no grommets or rubbers - like really???

I could go on with 101 perils I experienced in SLOPPY business practice - but the fact remains - that by and large - the ones that are still going - are going strong - and are still around for a reason.. Experience, service, reputation and a loyal customer base.

Jsmfun
16-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Good luck with tomorrow fingers crossed for you
cheers Scott

Braddles
16-04-2015, 10:47 PM
I think you need to come and pay some of my over heads every week to realize that the $110 Per hour is not so Sweet.

Its $110/hr per BAY, I had to book 2 weeks in advance, its nearly May - so hardly peak time for boating.. There are 6 bays.

Then there are the parts... / Consumables...

How do the "average" wage earners afford to live - I'm really curious! Teachers and Hair dressers and Retail guys wont be able afford to fart soon.

I didn't want to sound arrogant - but since you set the tone => I'd be happy to swap overheads with you for a week Captain Rednut!

My rooms alone are $18500 month, My AVANT insurance is a couple of hundred grand a year, a wages bill of that again for a staff of 2.5 FTE, then lets talk about professional equipment cost and lease / Stock / Theatre Booking fees each day at each hospital... And I was almost 40 before I even QUALIFIED to do my job.... non - stop, from leaving school...

My brother in law is a Plumber (owns his small business) and we all use the same accountant.. We have nothing to hide.. His bottom line is a LOT healthier than mine..

I don't care - I absolutely LOVE my job - and it is a great honour - but I am sorry - I maintain, that $110/hr, for a tradie labour rate is ridiculous.

I wont even start about my hours Vs his hours - its a joke!

Its my opinion - you are entitled to yours.

But the offer is there - happy to swap overheads with you!

Braddles
16-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Good luck with tomorrow fingers crossed for you
cheers Scott

Thanks Scott mate

Gosh a can of worms lol.

Got your email :-P

SHOOTER1
17-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Let the market decide. If it is too dear find someone cheaper. The cheapest is not necessary the best and the dearest doesn't mean the standard is any better. An outboard is a big investment. Don't skimp on the maintainance.
If you think it is too dear do it yourself.

Squidlet
17-04-2015, 09:13 PM
How are ya bud??
Got mine done the other day from accropolis now $765.Hourly rate $120,thats gota get ya a few goats or what??

Cheers chris.

stevej
17-04-2015, 09:34 PM
very rough numbers

$120 per hour charged to customer
$35 + Paid to mechanic as wages
$10.91 gst to gov
$ Gov will take pay roll tax as well depending on numbers $5 per hour been a while since i had to calculate it

then the share of rent insurance specific engine brand training which the outlet pays for
holidays public holidays sick days all to be covered by income
Would leave about $50 per hour profit which the gov taxes as well

$40 profit from $120 charged is not that flash a return for the investment and risk involved

Braddles
17-04-2015, 09:44 PM
Follow up:

Service at Ipswich Lifestyle Centre as per booked - Called to pick up as "boat ready"

When I got there - it wasn't - they had not done a part of the job - so I waited nearly an hour... and the manager wanted to add ANOTHER 30 mins of labour onto the job... while I had to waste my time waiting for an incomplete job... ..

The two mechanics at ILC are nice blokes - in fact Ben has bent over backwards to help me in the past - and hence I feel a sense of loyalty as he genuinely a nice man.

But at $797.85 for a 100hr service.. - I wont be back.. I told them I thought it was over the top for a 100hr service. I also told them I was quoted $500 - 600 over the phone, and of course they wanted the name of the person... When I said the person who booked the boat in... and you serviced at 140HP Suzuki 100hr that day that was $600 - things went silent..

I do have to declare of the $797.85 there were three items NOT included in a standard service - these were 2 x stainless steel rivets, a $5 bearing for the jockey wheel handle and a plastic fishing rod holder invoiced at $5.60 - but the other $785 odd dollars... Whoa!

I will give your recommendation a whirl next time Scott - thanks again!

I was impressed with the detailed report the motor spits out though - of all sorts of detail from fuel consumption, distances, revs, fault alarms etc etc.. - very cool.

Ok I'm off to bed - to go to work for the w'end to pay for the service lol.

Brad.

Jsmfun
17-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Mate I'm dropping my 175hp of to John tomorrow I'll let you know the cost 200 hour service. After my 20 hour service with lifestyle centre I had to find some ware that I felt I got my money's worth hence bayside Suzuki

The Black Unicorn
17-04-2015, 10:06 PM
I feel ya pain mate. Been paying nearly $600 per service on a 115 4 stroke. Just out of warranty now so will have a crack at it myself.
I am in the communications/ data cabling industry. If I charged at $110 per hr I would never win a job. Just as many costs as other trades. I also don't believe their would be too many mechanics on$35 hr

lethal
17-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Here is the way I look at it,
service for my Suzuki DF90 @50hrs $970 from holt marine. yes that's right $970!!!
guess what? I did the next two years servicing with a use of approx. 300hours use.
Then I asked around and took it to my local Suzuki dealer, 45 min drive and got a service, cost mid $500. they were happy to answer all my questions and now sell me the parts I need to do it myself, cost to me is under $200 and done in an hour. I know its done properly but don't have a diagnostic report.

I had some pretty dodgy mechanics service my cars, having sump plugs done finger tight, spanners falling out from under my bonnet, new brakes so tight that I cant drive out of the mechanics car park ect.

peace of mind is a beautiful thing 30nm offshore

scottar
18-04-2015, 02:20 AM
One thing to quote a big number - it costs what it costs and the punter can decide whether he wants to pay or not but it's a totally different thing to pull that sort of caper. A job should be done for the quoted price unless it was made perfectly clear prior to starting that the final price could not be fixed and those terms agreed upon or extra work outside the quoted scope is completed. Even then a good business should advise the client prior to proceeding with additional works. Pretty poor form and no wonder you are voting with your feet.

Jeremy
18-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Costs me about $600 to get my 60 hp 4 st merc serviced every I00 hours. Seems a bit exy, but they are all good blokes and do a good job with it. I guess peace of mind is worth something.

fishing111
18-04-2015, 08:08 AM
You hear it all the time rent, insurance, etc,etc,etc. I don't understand why more aren't mobile, surely it would work out for both the owner and the mechanic. As for the computer readouts I don't give a shit for them as I've got a car that's throwing up codes for parts that don't fix the problem. Give me a mechanic who can diagnose a problem and not blindly listen to a computer. Most can do a service well, but some are bloody useless at diagnosing a fault.
Agree with Lethal bigtime, as I've been caught out with similar antics and can't stress enough that TRUST is so important.

stevej
18-04-2015, 10:56 AM
I feel ya pain mate. Been paying nearly $600 per service on a 115 4 stroke. Just out of warranty now so will have a crack at it myself.
I am in the communications/ data cabling industry. If I charged at $110 per hr I would never win a job. Just as many costs as other trades. I also don't believe their would be too many mechanics on$35 hr

$35 a hour is $1400 per tax for a 40 hour week bit over 1k after tax
I dont know any tradesman on less then that
i thought i t may just be sydney prices but ive just moved rural and all the local electricians charge $120 min for house work.

but unless the op puts a receipt up showing what he got for hi smoney its all just pissing in the wind and meaningless to anyone.
comes across like a Darren hinch sensationalist piece with no substance

ive seen the result of incomplete services by mobile guys, internal anodes not being checked cleaned or replaced and destroyed motors etc

The guy i used in sydney would check wheel bearings and lights with every service as he refused to responsible for a boat driving out his drivway and causing issues
which is fair enough i guess

drpete
18-04-2015, 11:44 AM
I don't know about Marine Mechanics but I work in the service department of a car dealership and our techs (all factory trained in the brand) make at absolute MOST $24.50 an hour. And that's for a leading hand. Most qualified techs are on $21-$22 an hour. Mechanics are the second lowest paid of all trades behind hairdressers. Doesn't stop us billing out at $145.00 an hour though. I have no real point I suppose, other than maybe the assumptions about mechanic wages MAY be a little high. But like I said, I can't really speak to Marine mechanic wages....

Sir neverbagout
18-04-2015, 11:52 AM
Its $110/hr per BAY, I had to book 2 weeks in advance, its nearly May - so hardly peak time for boating.. There are 6 bays.

How do the "average" wage earners afford to live - I'm really curious! Teachers and Hair dressers and Retail guys wont be able afford to fart soon.

I didn't want to sound arrogant - but since you set the tone => I'd be happy to swap overheads with you for a week Captain Rednut!

My rooms alone are $18500 month, My AVANT insurance is a couple of hundred grand a year, a wages bill of that again for a staff of 2.5 FTE, then lets talk about professional equipment cost and lease / Stock / Theatre Booking fees each day at each hospital... And I was almost 40 before I even QUALIFIED to do my job.... non - stop, from leaving school...

My brother in law is a Plumber (owns his small business) and we all use the same accountant.. We have nothing to hide.. His bottom line is a LOT healthier than mine..

I don't care - I absolutely LOVE my job - and it is a great honour - but I am sorry - I maintain, that $110/hr, for a tradie labour rate is ridiculous.

Braddles, you could not be more correct. In fact so correct I have paid my subscription to concur. I have been ripped off by numerous dead beat tradesman for a number of years now through mainly the marine industry. How they think they can wander in and out of school when they want, leave before year 12 if they wish, then once after undertaking their apprenticeship(if at all) think they have the right to charge $100 labour/hr is wrong. No, I don't speak for all of them. Some are quite good, about 1 in 100 of them. How do I know? Because I have used about 100 of them. Braddles, your skills and time educating yourself properly on the other hand, is what I am prepared to pay for. To answer the original question, if you are paying $110 per hr labour you are being had. I have used the major service dealers for over a decade from Brisbane to the Gold Coast. In most cases they will be lucky to do the job properly; in fact I have kept track. Of the 57 services/workmanship work I have had across 4 different boats only 14 were properly undertaken. The industry needs more competition to bring the hourly rates down. Better training also needs to be ensured. The mechanic I use is very good and charges considerably less. Braddles, you deserve to have a cold beer tonight though you probably can't because you are saving lives at work for not much more money then a guy with a spanner thinks he can charge. My past tradies on the other hand... well I'm sure there enjoying their T.V having one for the poor bastard they stitched up during the week. Braddles it is also funny how these marine mechanics charging $110/hr will be the first to whinge about your rates. Braddles, keep up the good work because someone has to.

scottar
18-04-2015, 12:35 PM
The industry needs more competition to bring the hourly rates down.

So pony up, do your apprenticeship and get in and have a go. If you're any good you can retire early LOL.

Braddles never questioned the quality of the workmanship on his original post. I do agree if you are paying full rates the job should be done properly - Just ask Jayant Patel's patients ( Braddles this is not a personal comparison, merely a representation that sub standard work is available anywhere regardless of training).

What I don't agree with is the blanket generalisation that anyone charging $100 - 110 per hour is "ripping the customer off". Unless you know what the service establishments bottom line is - how do you know. Just because mechanic A who works from the back of his ute with minimal overheads only charges $60 per hour, should the guy who has a full blown dealership with substantial overheads and Factory support have to charge the same if means going backwards if he is offering a comparable level of service.

Who decides what a fair profit is????.

What I can tell from practical experience (20 years) working in a technical side (not engines) of the marine industry, and knowing the bottom line of the company, and having had this argument with more than enough clients that owned water front property with their Riviera out the back, I found a way to make more money - I got out. Don't let that get out though or it might prove harder to find a decent tradie and the prices might go up further.

Jsmfun
18-04-2015, 04:39 PM
Ok so bayside marine df175 hp 4 banger for a 200 hour service $540 and the service was great John is very approachable and helpful as always

cheers scott

bonneville
18-04-2015, 09:51 PM

well, that would be the most condecending post ive ever read !
And one being totally out of touch with reality
Im positive that payback will come to you for your many years of hard work in your industry, and I don't be grudge you that one bit !
You'll be enjoying your water side house, 40 ft launch and his and her porshes with business class holidays every year in your retirement !
don't see to many tradies retiring to that sort of comfort ! after busting their bodies physically for 40 plus years.
each to their own, we choose our own vocations !
find someone that offers good quality service for your outboard, at a reasonable price
pay them and stop your winging

b

Braddles
19-04-2015, 10:18 PM
I decided to delete my response to above..

But I still wish I had a fancy car - my 2007 colt with broken air con wouldnt pull my boat so I had to update - but its certainly not euro.

His and Her Euro Cars would look funny parked out the front of our modest salisbury house with govt houses in our street..

And who would pay the repayments while we were working in Vava'u, Tonga, For Free this year for 3 months???

Oh dear... Im over and out.

Phydeaux
20-04-2015, 12:25 AM
well i service my own, 4 strokes are easy and two strokes even easier as most are carbed
I buy all my parts from US or genuine from eBay and will never pay a single cent to the local service shop! ever!

I had to replace the fuel pump on the suzuki and everybody wanted $840 for an EFI fuel pump! for a fuel pump! My A1000 fuel pump was cheaper and that's a race pump! $80 delivered from US and she is all good. I think I paid $220 for the 500 hour kit from US and took me about 5 hours to do, this included water pump, fuel filters, all anodes, spark plugs, oil and oil filter, greased all the nipples (hah) and decided to pull the intake manifold off and clean the injectors and throttle body as well as the ICV, al that under $300, had I needed that done at a service shop ...Bring Out Another Thousand

I rather do it myself and I'm the only one to blame. I hate buying a new motor because I'd have to service it with them which sux, so i'll just keep this and rebuild it, surely it will be cheaper than $2k to rebuild vs 9k for a new one

BM
20-04-2015, 04:58 PM
I agree that service charges are too high and have been for many years. I believe this is mainly due to the seasonality of the boating industry. Same for the skiing industry (snow skiing). Their charges are ridiculous but they have a limited time to make money. Boating represents a very small part of our nations GDP and is therefore somewhat a boutique industry and as such we pay through the nose.

As an example lets say a 200hp 2 stroke. For around $60 in parts (lets call it $100 or even $200) you can do plugs, impeller, gear oil, fuel filter, lubes and if you are working to actually make money (not dragging your heels on your $20/hr mechanics wage in a dealership) you will knock this over in 1hr. Sure, you may encounter difficulties sometimes making this slower. Parts: $200. Labour at the given rate: $110. Most dealers would charge $500+ for this service.

Actual labour time v charged time is where there is an issue. If a fixed price to do the job is quoted then its irrelevant.

bonneville
20-04-2015, 06:22 PM
I do agree with you BM, I certainly shopped around and look hard for anything vehicle or boat orientated, no one has copius amounts of money to throw away, boating is expensive enough.
braddles, I was probably a tad forward in my response, to with I apologise if I offended. Maybe your brother in law is an exception to the rule, but good on him if he can work short hours and have a better bottom line than yourself.
It did however come across quite condescending with regards to tradies charges though. I charge around the $100 per hour, and let me tell you, my bootom line profit, as a mobile tradie, out of that $ 100, after vehicle costs, insurances and other fixed costs, would be less than $40.00, I make a mark up on my product involved, I could quite easily find employement on a wage in the industry for around $ 35.oo per hour, plus a vehicle, plus super, plus holidays ! basically the last couple of years, you'd be lucky if I actually pull $ 6-700 per week wage, and that's not with any holiday provisions either. Now im not saying I cant make some really good money, when the works there, but recently its been a very flat and a lot of self employed tradies are pulling the pin and going back to employement. what a lot of people don't realise, in the building game, I have to give a 7 year warrantee, be available 24 hours for my regular customers, and I haven't had a full weekend off in 12 months.
Im not complaining one bit, would I be better off being employed with a company, the last few years yes. You obviously have done a lot of study work to be qualified in what you do, a lot more than me im sure, But I still consider, 4 year apprentiship, a 1 year follow up advanced trade course, plus a correspondence degree in business management, sort of means ive also had the years of training behind me as well.
I don't think people fully understand, the investment, overheads, and true costs of warrantying the work you do as a tradie. There are some shoddy ones out their I agree, and on the surface, $ 110 per hour might seem extreme. I did a break down a few years ago, to work out the true cost of an employee on $ 25.00 per hour, when you take, super clothing,all the allowances, sick days, holidays, that employee costs an employer close to $ 50 per hour, then there's the down time ! well I could go on, but that's enough. with engine servicing, as I said, find someone you firstly trust, that is charges a competitive rate, and think of it as an insurance investment on your motor. We would all like to pay less, I agree, but all things have to be considered first, as they say, boating aint cheap ! hence the acronym B.o.a.t
with reference to yourself, my family is full of medical proffesionals, doctors and surgeons even a professor in endodontestry, Im the only tradie amongst them, maybe I wrongly associated there personal situations and wealth to your own situation, for that I apologise. I certainly don't begrudge there wealth, they worked hard for it, but I'll tell ya what, everyone of them are tarred with the same damn thing, you cant get a pin up there arses with a sledge hammer, more money than I'll ever dream of having, and when they winge, I get annoyed !
So I certainly don't want to tar you with that brush, as I did, as I don't know you or your situation.
Guess im pretty lucky, doing my first aprrentiship in the marine industry, so I service my own out boards, but soon I will be swapping out for a new 4 stroke and for warranty purposes, I to will be out scourcing, and you bet i'll be looking at the best options....

regards
B

stevej
20-04-2015, 07:43 PM
what were you charged for
400 labour 300 parts or something else, before finger pointing for expensive services what are you being charged for as every dealer does something different.

if servicing outboards is so lucartive and a rort why are so many dealers going under

baitable
20-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Wow, just reading this there sure are some stereo types being thrown around. Just to be transparent I am a tradie and once biotechnician.

Braddles it seems your pretty set in your views and taking the high ground with a tear jerking anecdote is not helping with you presenting your point. As I understand, the basic argument is -do trades ( as whole) charge excessive rates? Yes I believe they do. How does this differ across any industry? Taking a snippet of my "white collar" experience-I have paid 600 an hour to litigate a copyright infringement, I have paid up to 3500 an hour to have real estate sold. Get my drift? We live in a society where rates are dictated not by what they are worth but by what we are prepared to pay. If you work in a specialist industry you get to call your rate. At the end of the day nothing will change so i guess I'll keep paying what I'm charged and so will you. It's useless me whining about being charged 70 dollars for a 15 minute consultation and it's useless you whining about paying 110 an hour to service a motor.

Or are we missing the bigger picture? Is the real annoyance that a diploma is getting paid more than a mbbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thylacene
21-04-2015, 09:28 PM
I have a Suzuki DF175, it has now had 7 services, all done by a Suzuki Dealer, the first one was a couple of hundred for the 20 hour service, no issues, the next 5 came in at $600, made up of $270 for the Suzuki Service Kit, $95 for oil and workshop consumables and the balance for labour. The book time for the service is 2.5 to 3 hours.

The last service at this dealer was quite a surprise though, presented with a bill for $1100, $325 for the kit (impeller, anodes, filters, plugs, gaskets) which is understandable with the dollar taking a dive to 70 cents US, $120 for oil and workshop consumables etc, and the balance labour. I expressed my displeasure and a $200 credit was agreed, I asked the labour rate and they advised was now $165 plus GST.

It will go back for the 800 hour service later this year, but after that I will take it on myself as the warranty period expires before the next service will be due. I have no issue that there is 2.5 hours, the leg comes off, oil is pumped out, there are 4 anodes (and each 100 hours they are well depleted), a change of plugs, new filter screens, and replace the inline fuel filter, so no complaints on that front, but the labour was a bit greedy last time around. There is also the small matter of the idle adjustment they made that has it stalling each time it starts.

I have done some research and I can buy the kit for $175, oil for $80 and I am willing to spend a full day on it for the $800 saving and not having to tow it 200km, which equates to another $60 or so in running costs for the vehicle.

If your dealer is charging you around $600 to service a multicylinder 4 stroke they are being reasonable. I don't begrudge the dealer making a reasonable dollar, but at $1100 it is over the top in my book.

robsue
22-04-2015, 02:34 PM
just had my 200 hour service done on Yamaha 70, 4stroke.....$523.50

stevej
22-04-2015, 02:48 PM
just had my 200 hour service done on Yamaha 70, 4stroke.....$523.50

but what does that include ?
what people dont get here is the total figure means nothing when trying to give a true view of the cost to service

one dealer may be 110 per hour another 165
scan and upload the bill

JulianDeMarchi
22-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Wait till you see the prices for an IT guy. 110p/h is cheap in the field. In my field you're paying me for my expertise, years of knowledge and continous training. To get someone like me in for a day you won't get much change from 3K.

scottar
22-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Wait till you see the prices for an IT guy. 110p/h is cheap in the field. In my field you're paying me for my expertise, years of knowledge and continous training. To get someone like me in for a day you won't get much change from 3K.

And yet the field I was in, Marine electronics, people would bleed at $120.00 per hour - even with the expertise, years of knowledge and continuous training. I do have a bit of a theory as to why. Boating is seen as a bit of a luxury in a recreational sense and a lot of people will spend money on "necessary" stuff but as the boat was a 'once in a while when I've got time' use item, could not handle (or weren't allowed) to spend money on it. IT is a bit different - need it for the business - the business makes money - all good. It's a bit the same with cars because people drive them every day.

robsue
22-04-2015, 05:14 PM
labour was $105 ph, 3-5 hrs plus parts

stevej
22-04-2015, 08:54 PM

brother in law private contracts to the state government for system analysis work and bills them $600 per hour

trevs1979
22-04-2015, 09:19 PM
been watching this post for a while .......

also seen your reply BRADDLES before you realized you made an ass of yourself and deleted it

your post gave me the feeling you feel the world owes you something it doesn't
also working for free is great but why do you feel the need to tell everybody maybe you could work in local aboriginal communities save money on airfares then service your boat lol

on a side note as many have said it would be very hard running a service center charging less than $100 an hour depending on location i guess the only issues i have with charge rates is the actual hours worked on the engine vs how much im paying in total hours

i wouldn't mind paying a premium if they have experience as less hours are required total in most cases with the end result also being a better job

cheers trev

Hole Shot
23-04-2015, 12:18 PM

cheers scott

What was changed,you wouldn,t be getting plugs,impeller,ect for $450,prices vary according to hours and what needs to be changed.

Greg P
23-04-2015, 02:10 PM
I don't have any issue for paying top dollars for quality work especially when the company acts with integrity when dealing with you. Being 25 mile offshore is not a nice feeling when the outboard wont go - no walking home. I also know from first hand experience it pays to have the support of a good dealer when the shit hits the fan and something goes wrong. The challenge is finding these guys but word of mouth certainly helps. Some good guys on here running their own business 4 sure !!! For Zuke on the Northside there is only one guy to see for dealer service - Keith @ Motorsport!!

fishing111
23-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Agree with your sentiments Greg P but not with dealing with Keith. Found his work and attitude less than satisfactory.Glad you got a good outcome though.

Braddles
24-04-2015, 09:07 PM
been watching this post for a while .......

also seen your reply BRADDLES before you realized you made an ass of yourself and deleted it

your post gave me the feeling you feel the world owes you something it doesn't
also working for free is great but why do you feel the need to tell everybody maybe you could work in local aboriginal communities save money on airfares then service your boat lol

on a side note as many have said it would be very hard running a service center charging less than $100 an hour depending on location i guess the only issues i have with charge rates is the actual hours worked on the engine vs how much im paying in total hours

i wouldn't mind paying a premium if they have experience as less hours are required total in most cases with the end result also being a better job

cheers trev

Trevs - What the #### are you on about mate?

I didn't make an arse of myself - I deleted my post as I didn't want to continue my original post - as my question had been answered, I had contributions from people I respected - and then the dregs like yourself come along looking for an argument or a fight or stir shit!

It is armchair warriers like you my friend - who result in so few people posting here in Ausfish these days. Members I know outside of Ausfish who used to frequent here, don't bother contributing. I have even had emails re this post - as people cant be bothered arguing with twits like you.

WTF would you even say nasty pathetic crap about me, my life, my work? Do you not have anything nice to say?

Please go and crawl under the rock you came from - and troll on someone elses page.

Jsmfun
24-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Well said I personaly can not believe this is still going

trevs1979
24-04-2015, 09:56 PM
Trevs - What the #### are you on about mate?

I didn't make an arse of myself - I deleted my post as I didn't want to continue my original post - as my question had been answered, I had contributions from people I respected - and then the dregs like yourself come along looking for an argument or a fight or stir shit!

It is armchair warriers like you my friend - who result in so few people posting here in Ausfish these days. Members I know outside of Ausfish who used to frequent here, don't bother contributing. I have even had emails re this post - as people cant be bothered arguing with twits like you.

WTF would you even say nasty pathetic crap about me, my life, my work? Do you not have anything nice to say?

Please go and crawl under the rock you came from - and troll on someone elses page.

my comment has nothing to do with trolling and your post above clearly shows your very hothead have you regretted your post yet

im not the one complaining about service costs and trying to compare every industry to my own with no understanding of over heads related to that business type

seems in this day and age everybody wants something for nothing yet justifies why they should be earning more while paying everyone else less