PDA

View Full Version : from QF researcher. Matt Campbell

Lucky_Phill
14-04-2015, 07:53 PM
Hello All,

As most of you are aware, I am a fisheries biologist working with DAF. I have recently been involved with the sand crab stock assessment process, the results of which will be available soon and I will post more information on this thread once the stock assessment has been finalised. One of the issues that came up when doing the stock assessment was the accuracy of the recreational catch and effort data. The RFISH surveys conducted periodically over the last 20 years (https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/fisheries/monitoring-our-fisheries/statewide-and-regional-recreational-fishing-survey/queenslands-2010) provided our best estimates of the annual recreational catch of sand crabs in south east Queensland.

I am currently involved in a research project with objectives of identifying data gaps/improvements and developing novel data collection methods in the line fisheries (Spanish mackerel and coral tout/ red throat emperor) in northern Queensland and the crab (sand and mud) fisheries in southern Queensland. Although this project will collect information on the commercial and recreational sectors within these fisheries, my area of interest is the recreational crab fisheries in Moreton Bay. I would like to get information from sand and mud crab fishers about the data collected from this fishery, any potential improvements to these data and possible methods for contemporary data collection such as phone applications or e-logs.

To this end, we have developed a quick questionnaire designed to inform us of the views of crab fishers regarding data collection from the recreational crab fishery. There are a lot of crab fishers on the forum and their feedback would be valuable. The questionnaire takes less than ten minutes. I would be happy to go and see members personally rather than send them a questionnaire and get them to fill it out and return it. This will not be a one way process – I have some information from the recent sand crab stock assessment as well as the logbook that commercial fishers are required to submit to Fisheries Queensland so that recreational fishers can get an idea of the data collected by the commercial sector. Please note, I am not asking for data.

At the end of this project, we would like to be able to identify impediments to the collection of accurate recreational data and the methods that may overcome these issues. It is hoped that once these impediments are identified and mitigated, the data provided by recreational fishers will be of a higher quality, allowing for more robust measures of important stock status indices such as fishing mortality. Further, it is hoped that by providing these data, recreational fishers will have more confidence in future stock assessment and the results from this process.

If you require further information or would like to participate in the questionnaire, send me a pm or email me directly at matthew.campbell@daf.qld.gov.au.

Matthew

This draft was first posted on another forum and has been copied and pasted here, with permission. Cheers LP