PDA

View Full Version : Heading to yamba

Mark0
10-04-2015, 12:01 PM
Hi All,
I am shooting off to Yamba for a week next week and was hoping to be able to bring a few fish in, I only have a small 3.7m stacer so no going offshore.
I have a few questions, as you will see if am only a part time angler but would like to improve my success, I normally go out 2 hours before high tide or earlier and stay 1-2 hours after hi.

1 - Can someone suggest a road, reel and line type and size to get so I can target some bigger fish ? All I have currently is light stuff for throwing lures and plastics, I think I am after a decent boat rod really that if I hookup a decent fish my line (I am only talking about big flatheads and things like that) and rod wont snap, what hook size ?

2 - What bait would you suggest, I have never caught live herring on jogs so I don't know how to do that, so I normally buy it from the bait store or pump yabbies.

3 - I always just fish with my light setup for bream or flathead and have little success, Yamba I normally catch bloody stingray and that's it, I normally fish with Whitebait, Prawns or live yabbies, any suggestions on bait here ? I have got plastics I don't have a lot of luck with them though.

Any other suggestions welcome, ta gents.

Nicholas2230
10-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Hi All,
I am shooting off to Yamba for a week next week and was hoping to be able to bring a few fish in, I only have a small 3.7m stacer so no going offshore.
I have a few questions, as you will see if am only a part time angler but would like to improve my success, I normally go out 2 hours before high tide or earlier and stay 1-2 hours after hi.

1 - Can someone suggest a road, reel and line type and size to get so I can target some bigger fish ? All I have currently is light stuff for throwing lures and plastics, I think I am after a decent boat rod really that if I hookup a decent fish my line (I am only talking about big flatheads and things like that) and rod wont snap, what hook size ?

2 - What bait would you suggest, I have never caught live herring on jogs so I don't know how to do that, so I normally buy it from the bait store or pump yabbies.

3 - I always just fish with my light setup for bream or flathead and have little success, Yamba I normally catch bloody stingray and that's it, I normally fish with Whitebait, Prawns or live yabbies, any suggestions on bait here ? I have got plastics I don't have a lot of luck with them though.

Any other suggestions welcome, ta gents.

Hi Mate,

If you are only a "Part Time" angler just looking to have a bit of fun i'd suggest a pre set up combo from BCF not sure of your budget though, you say you aren't having much luck on your "light setup", what do you mean? Are you dropping fish or just not getting action at all? A 2500 size spin reel and a 2-5kg up to 7 foot rod what be ideal for what you are looking at doing. BCF have the Shimano Cazna Spin Pack on sale for $79 inc a graphite rod. Pair that with some 150 YDS of 12LB braid and you will be laughing.

Otherwise on the other end of the scale look at a Terez 7'2 10-20LB and pair it with a Stradic 3000FA and 20lb Braid. that set up will run you around $600+ inc braid. All comes down to your budget mate. Both set ups will catch you fish but one will last a lot longer and perform a lot smoother.

In regards to bait, fresh is always best, so pumping yabbies is a great idea. Have you got/can you throw a cast net for livies? Otherwise worms and peeled fresh prawns would be my suggestion, fish as light weight as the you can.

Good luck

Mark0
10-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Not much luck im catching anything.

I use shimano solstace 2500 spin setup with 4-6 pound line i think, i use fireline.
I have another few rod rwels in similair size just older.

I have never netted live bait what do you look for as where to go ?

Bazzawookooka
10-04-2015, 09:09 PM
Marko,

Don't quote me, but I'm pretty sure cast nets are illegal in NSW. Also, you probably need a fishing license / permit there as well.

Best to do some research and make sure before you go.

Cheers, Steve

hainsofast
10-04-2015, 10:34 PM
yup cast nets illegal in NSW, you won't need a big rod down there unless targeting jew off the rock walls

Mark0
10-04-2015, 11:29 PM
Yeep fishing license needed can buy one there and taa re nets never used them so wont start yet.

Will head out in boat n see how i go

Scalem
11-04-2015, 06:25 AM
Are you really fishing light? Sounds like you have the right gear, I don't think going to a bigger rod is going to help. I regularly fish with 00 size sinkers on top of the hook so prawns waft down naturally in the current, keeping the bail arm open until a fish nibbles the bait. Same with plastics, just because you can't feel the bottom doesn't mean you won't catch fish. Give that a go!

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark0
11-04-2015, 08:15 AM
Thanks scalem, do you guys drop to the bottom i usually use sinkers that get me to the bottom but if a strong current they are not heavy enough

Scalem
11-04-2015, 12:50 PM
It all varies from place to place and what fish you are targeting. The bottom is not always the part of the water column you want, but there are so many variables it's crazy, all I need to say is don't typically plaster your bait/ lure to the bottom and expect to catch fish. If you are not feeling the bottom with the weight you have, I would sooner cast up stream before increasing weight. Try that for a while.

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

banshee
11-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Try swapping High for Low.

Mark0
17-04-2015, 07:52 PM
Had a pretty unsuccessful trip, 2 big stingray, 3 snapped leaders, 1 tailor and thats it in 2 sessions in the boat, maybe next time.

Maybe next

Inlike
10-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Marko are you going again if so PM me.got a few spots you might like.......

Mark0
10-05-2015, 07:54 PM
Will do mate we go there for most holidays ta

Kero
11-05-2015, 07:13 AM
I managed to pull in some bream in this spot. There are some partly submerged barges against the river bank. Prawns used from memory.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108714&stc=1

Volvo
05-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Whilst on the subject wouldnt mind a few shorebased spots for whiting at either Iluka, Forster , Coffs , or The Entrance lol.
Guess im asking a wee bit much will be travelling through the areas in the near future.
Bream Tailor no issue but tis the Whiting I am favouring :).