PDA

View Full Version : Starter Motor

drpete
09-04-2015, 01:42 PM
So out in the Rous a couple of weekends back and my starter motor sh#ts itself (Yamaha 100hp fourstroke).
I call around and I can either get one from a dealer ($907.00), one non-gen from a local mob ($498.00), one second hand from a wreckers (398.00), or a brand new one off ebay for $216.00 (Aus) delivered to my bloody door! Guess which way I jumped?
About a week to get here (over the Easter break that's not too bad), put it in yesterday, perfect!
I'd rather support local, but as dad used to say at the fruit markets, "Touch me don't maul me!". If it was even a hundred more here, I'd pay it just coz it's convenient and I'm lazy. But SEVEN BLOODY HUNDRED different genuine or three hundred odd Non? I'm not THAT bloody lazy!
ps. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't pull start a big fourstroke. I wound the flywheel to top dead centre and then I only pulled about eight inches of cord before she kicked first go.
Pete

shaungonemad
09-04-2015, 01:55 PM
It's getting worse the price of things even with the same thing/part just a different supplier the variance is amazing. Good work on the pull start I have a 130 and am dreading the day I have to do it.

Fed
10-04-2015, 07:15 AM
A set of brushes probably costs about three & sixpence.

Will they pull start with a dead flat battery?

drpete
10-04-2015, 11:00 AM
The brushes were my FIRST thought but the stater has a cracked magnet in it too so it's not reusable. The brush assembly is also about a hundred and fifty bills on it's own!
Don't know about pull starting with a dead battery. I suspect they would. Both my batteries were fully topped up though so I can't say for sure. I WAS worried about the cord I used to pull start her catching in the groove where the knot goes. That's why I wound the flywheel till it was loading up with pressure, and THEN pull started it from the groove nearest to me so there was only eight inches or so of travel. Don't know if that made any difference, but she kicked and didn't snag the rope so I'm calling that a win.
Interesting side note: the bloody things are so quiet, I didn't realize she kicked at first :) I was heading to the radio to call a tow and my brother-in-law says, "She's running Boofhead!". I was sceptical till he pointed out the rapidly rotating FLYWHEEL!! :) Some people.... ::)

Fed
10-04-2015, 11:44 AM
At least you checked out what was wrong with it, well done.
They don't miss you with the prices for genuine eh?

drpete
10-04-2015, 01:41 PM
'ken oath! They stooge you on the gen the stuff. If you let em...... :)

hungry6
10-04-2015, 03:23 PM
I went down this path awhile back, one thing u have to do is to put locktite on the nut that holds the bendix in place, or it will come loose and self disintegrate. If you look hard enough, sometimes you can get them landed for under 100, wait till you price up a fuel pump.
Also keep the genuine bendix and spring, here is where the genuine is ALOT better than after market.

drpete
10-04-2015, 03:58 PM
Thanks for that. I HAVE kept all the old starter motor parts for this exact reason. Hopefully I can avoid the horrors of fuel pump replacement for a while :)
But I work in the motor industry in a parts department so I'm pretty good at scrounging ;) Let's hope it doesn't come to that yet though.

TheGurn
10-04-2015, 07:06 PM
Hi Fed. According to yamaha you can't pull start with a flat battery because the fuel pump won't work.
Hope I never have to prove them right.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Rip it up
10-04-2015, 07:48 PM
I've done the dead battery pull start on a F80 a few times now. Battery reading under 10v from a few weeks of leaving the isolator on.

Get to the ramp and and nothing on the key was difficult to even get the trim and tilt to lower.

When at a suitable angle it took some rotations to get the voltage high enough for the computer to recognize. But then it powered up with some massive compression.

It is the carby model though. Which helps I guess.

But I've done the same scenario to a F60 EFI with under 10v. A few rotations and then bang up it will go. Think it needs to build the fuel rail pressure up before it will fire.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.