PDA

View Full Version : Fishing reports

Seahorse
05-04-2015, 06:54 AM
Now I like to keep myself informed on the fishing front.

Its nice to know who is catching what and where and most people on here usually say.

I go fishing a fair bit and iam not the only one who seems to be doing things bit tough at the moment getting a good feed.

Now this morning I decided to read the fishing reports in the sunday mIl by Paul Burt.

Now either i dont have a clue about fishing or these reports are BS.

Going by theses reports, we should be catching every species of fish, on every rock wall, sand bank, reef, every river, every creek night or day from Scarb reef to the broadwater.

I have now come to the conclusion that I just cant fish, and from the reports that I read on here, iam not the only one.

Quite a few guys have been saying no whiting at the Rous, even yesterday, but read the fishing report today, whiting at the Rous, and i believe even on news fishing report.

I really think its just to get us guys to buy more bait. I would really liketo know where these fishing reports come from, because the blokes who write them, never fish all those spots or even the area.

Squire at Scar reef? How many guys have been cating a feed of squire there lately. Please prove me wrong.

Anyway no more reading reports, just go out, in hope to get a feed.

Happy fishing.

Dignity
05-04-2015, 07:19 AM
If you go to the spots in the papers you are sure to be disappointed, some of the reported catches could be over a week old, also it only takes one fish to be caught to be reportable. I do remember on one occasion when Brownie used to give reports on the radio he did actually say everyone was doing it tough which was pretty well spot on as everyone coming in was grumbling and there were no scales at the cleaning tables, we were the exception and it was one of our more memorable trips. Based on our catch the reports would have been glowing. At the end of the day if the weather and missus permits it's time to go fishing albeit a lot more thought into when and where to go and methods used is required these days.

astro66
05-04-2015, 07:30 AM
its gone quiet here since the cyclone a couple of months ago ....just starting to pickup with the jew moving back in and now its rained for 4 days and will take 3 or 4 weeks to clean up and pick back up ....last easter i had a couple of jack everyday jew and as many prawns i wanted well i was even taking the son and his mates so i could get a decent haul ...the local report here even gives the wrong spot to keep people away for the hot spots ...usually they put down the jack from petrie creek but they are being caught at the mouth ....

kingcray
05-04-2015, 08:56 AM
go mud crabbing greg. Bout all there is to do

Seahorse
05-04-2015, 09:25 AM
Nah u can have that all to urself mate.

bayfisher
05-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Best reports come from knowing a good network of fisherman that fish regularly, unfortunately even ausfish these days (due to lack of posts) is next to worthless for trying to get an idea of whats going on in the bay. I'm sure those newspaper reports have been the same for years, I think they just change the year dates on them :-?

Seahorse
05-04-2015, 03:04 PM
I agree bayfisher. Yeah Ausfish reports have really dropped off.

No whee near as many people use it anymore.

rosco1974
05-04-2015, 05:21 PM
here is a mud Island report,
sharefarers thick at mud,plenty of big sandcrabs there in 3-5 mts of water if ya pots are left alone...

Seahorse
05-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Thanks Rosco

BAR UP
05-04-2015, 08:10 PM
A gaff through will fix those fuc*ers

Shawn 66
06-04-2015, 06:05 AM
Greg ,
Just about to wet the boat at Leslie Dam . Was out yesterday , managed 3 decent yella's in howling wind .
Pea soup fog around at the moment . Wonder how many boats will have their lights operational .
Hopefully will have something to report this arvo.
Shawn

wayno60
06-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Mate if i was to put up a post every time i went out there would be a lot of empty posts... and i dont think many people are interested in shovel nose, rays and sharks in the seaway...

As far as reports in the media, i think you need to take them with a grain of salt....

Im on a few different forums and web pages and all you can do is read everything and make an educated guess on where to go and what to target.

cheers
wayno

lethal
06-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Stopped posting die to petty bullcrap and accusations. Trag thick at the cape, pearlies wide cal with undersized snaps and east of cape, Spanish at flinders and smiths, odd wahoo at hutchies, schoolies thick in the bay.
I don't go out for an hour and fill a box but I go out for 10 hours, look at the wind, water, birds, tide, current and choose where the fish will most likely be and if they aren't there I keep looking. I pull a few fish and move onto another likely spot.
good luck.

Seahorse
06-04-2015, 10:18 AM
Thanks Lethal
Even though I dont go quite that far, it certainly is nice to read these reports.

At least we know they would be fair dinkum reports.

If there is anyone fishing from Mud to Scarb let us know whats been happening

Crabs, fish, prawns, funny stories.

robsue
06-04-2015, 11:31 AM
noosa......followed a barcrusher through the bar yesterday, he went too hard and smashed his bimini and rodholder, actually thought he had rolled as he disappeared, but then we crested a wave we saw him again, I took it easy and no dramas though I was worried when I saw what happened as I am not experienced

caught spotty mac, only went 57, caught red throat went 35 plus numerous other undersize, only came back with 2 reef sharks, river is still too much fresh and also too much boat traffic, cops could make a killing of a night with boats no lights, or no white light

mudcrabs are only jennies or undersize bucks

robsue

lethal
06-04-2015, 04:55 PM
prawns at nudgee and in the pine. schoolies and odd spottie at the beacons and at the south west spit along the banks in the pearl channel. whiting on the banks southern end of bribie. Macks feeding on whiting

lethal
06-04-2015, 04:57 PM
cops could make a killing of a night with boats no lights, or no white light

plenty of boating fishing green zones still

tropicrows
06-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Not enough resources I'm afraid. Green zones have become a joke, only keep out the honest fisherman.

alleycat
06-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Gday seahorse, im a bit disappointed that there isn't many reports of snapper from the bay islands, anyway I hit mud today for the first time in 2 years, after getting through absolute mayhem at nudgee ramp we were at mud just on sunrise, we flicked plastics till 10am and I never got a touch, only fish I saw was a grinner my wife caught, I tried north east, north west and west of mud for nothing, is it really that hard around mud now for snaps??.
And the water police were out there going boat to boat around 9 am..

Seahorse
06-04-2015, 05:38 PM
Hey Alleycat.
thats a shame, no snapper.

The ramp at clontarff was just as bad. I had a quick count row by row and even parked on the grass, i think at least 200 boat trailers.

I didnt go out. The ramp was absolutely crazy with boats and jet skis.

At 5pm they were still coming back.

I could have written a book on what I saw today, from motors that wouldnt start, boats that should not had even made it to the boat ramp, to ones that I dont know how they floated.

I even saw one bloke back his boat down ramp after he just told his mate that his wheel bearing had gone coming to the ramp.
It was just bang bang down to the water. His tell tail never worked but with the engine still idleing for about 5 mins trying to find out why. He did however find a fuel leak in the hose near the carbie. Even that didnt stop him from running the engine while he showed his mate.
By the way his kids had their life jackets on while seat at back of boat while all this was going on.

I moved away.

What does one do?

losferfish
07-04-2015, 06:32 PM
Went out near the first red beacon to the left as you come out of the sets from wello yesterday. $81 worth of bait , fuel in car and boat 5 crab pots out and 12 hours of fishing produced just a feed.

I dont know the bay very well and tend t o fish the same spots over and over. If anyone can give me some tips via pm that would be awesome.

By the way how I caught the mackeral and squire and within 1/2 an hour of each other was by slowly floating out an unweighted pilly with the bail arm open tjen closing the bail arm when I sensed a bite.

SummerTrance
07-04-2015, 07:02 PM
If there is anyone fishing from Mud to Scarb let us know whats been happening

I fished Mud on Saturday morning for three hours for donut. 1 undersize squire and 1 undersize parrot

phantomphisher
07-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Managed an average sweetlip, one just legal squire and a bunch of undersized ones on microjigs at myora. Bitten off by a school mackerel right next to the boat in the rainbow as well.

alleycat
07-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Went out near the first red beacon to the left as you come out of the sets from wello yesterday. $81 worth of bait , fuel in car and boat 5 crab pots out and 12 hours of fishing produced just a feed.

I dont know the bay very well and tend t o fish the same spots over and over. If anyone can give me some tips via pm that would be awesome.

By the way how I caught the mackeral and squire and within 1/2 an hour of each other was by slowly floating out an unweighted pilly with the bail arm open tjen closing the bail arm when I sensed a bite.
Gday losferfish, I used to do ok the northern end of green island if your fishing that region..

Back In Black
07-04-2015, 08:37 PM
Hey Alleycat.
thats a shame, no snapper.

The ramp at clontarff was just as bad. I had a quick count row by row and even parked on the grass, i think at least 200 boat trailers.

I didnt go out. The ramp was absolutely crazy with boats and jet skis.

At 5pm they were still coming back.

I could have written a book on what I saw today, from motors that wouldnt start, boats that should not had even made it to the boat ramp, to ones that I dont know how they floated.

I even saw one bloke back his boat down ramp after he just told his mate that his wheel bearing had gone coming to the ramp.
It was just bang bang down to the water. His tell tail never worked but with the engine still idleing for about 5 mins trying to find out why. He did however find a fuel leak in the hose near the carbie. Even that didnt stop him from running the engine while he showed his mate.
By the way his kids had their life jackets on while seat at back of boat while all this was going on.

I moved away.

What does one do?

I pulled into Noosa boat ramp yesterday to be greeted by a commodore with a tinny blocking the entire entrance to the ramp?? Sat for a few seconds wondering how to handle this one, when the old fella comes over & says the car can't move. Dropped an arm or something. He showed me the problem (hopelessly unmechanical) so I said lets at least move the boat. Said it can't be moved?? Why?? Its too heavy. It was a 4m tinny, so I unhitched it & dragged it into a rigging lane.
Managed to get my rig around him & he's over to call for a flat bed.
Poor bloke. Easter Monday, blocking entire boat ramp.

Tony

Still_Dreamin
07-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Great work Seahorse!! Haven't read this many reports ( in this thread and others) in ages. Looks like people just needed a prod!

Giffo65
08-04-2015, 08:32 AM
Trolled livies on the 24 fathom out of Southport on Sunday for zip.Got some prawns in the Southern end of the bay yesterday, half a bucket for a lot of work and a torn net !

robpados
08-04-2015, 01:52 PM
Trolled out around the 9 mile today for a couple of Mactuna (good for bait i guess) then headed over to palmy reef where there was 14 boats seen a few doing alright on Spanish with lives.......

Scalem
08-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Fished sat night around goat island to try for a jew, but pulled stumps when we saw the BOM radar and lightning to the west. Sunday the wifey gets motivated to leave for a sleep over somewhere around peel. Why not, the boat is still hitched up to the car. Felt odd leaving Sunday night at 9.30pm, but if that's what we had to do to avoid rush hour at the ramps over Easter, that works for me. Fished shallow grounds with lightly weighted prawns and mullet fillets, had awesome fun, pulling in mostly small fish, squire ( one was legal but if it shrunk even 1mm in the esky I was a gonna) Moses perch, lots of legal tuskies but not huge, small sweetlip, bream and tarwine. The object was only to catch fish and put a bend in our rods, not to fill the freezer, all fish were released. For the majority of the time every bait caught a fish, sardine size squire or not, it was awesome fun. Got my fair share of bust offs to what must have been much bigger fish. The bay is alive and well judging how many fish we caught. Had a hot breakfast on board as the sun came up Monday morning. Top day out!

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fisher4life
15-04-2015, 02:03 PM

I remember those days, and i feel for you. I recall driving for 3 hrs in the car, then hr in the boat fishing the bay or jumpin pin for nothing...

i went for a quick fish with my daughter on Monday, looked at the wind direction and chose the best spot to go, watched the tide, saw where the bait was, used my sounder to find a few fish, threw a variety of lures until i found something the fish were willing to eat and came home with some fresh fish.

phantomphisher
15-04-2015, 03:11 PM
Feed of mackerel in the bay on Sunday. One on a 3 inch placcy with 6lb line and 8lb leader sure put up a stink. Got a nice flatty in the middle of nowhere too.

robsue
15-04-2015, 06:38 PM
put 4 pots out this afternoon, only got 1 crab on way back from rouse, hopefully more tomorrow
I went for a quick run to rouse, picked up 4 good squid, lost a couple to swivels snapping, first time I had swivels snap, must have been a bit corroded or faulty.....

going out to check pots in the morning then going to rouse for more squid and whiting hopefully, even plan on throwing a couple of squid heads out for a bit later on to see if anything interested....looks a good couple of days coming up

Scott Ashe
17-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Went out this morning with a good mate and his 8yo son who is on holidays. Caught a nice 35cm Bream on a yabby in Eprapah Creek and my mate Tim got a nice squid at the back of Coochiemudlo Is. Collected our pots on the way back in for 2 nice sandies.

Cheers