PDA

View Full Version : Markham Whaler Pro's vs Cons

PatricsOnTheCoast
02-04-2015, 06:55 AM
Hey guys,
After a little advise here.. There is a Markham Whaler 4.9 for sale at the moment with twin yammie 70's and after a little research, they are not that great for my potential application? I'm looking for a reef boat that can get me to the reef in 15knot 90% of the time shitty FNQ Cairns conditions. I say 15knots as its rare I get to time a trip out when the weathers perfect, but I would still like to be able to head out if I had the chance while the weather wasn't optimal.

Cons so far:
I have seen they are not too dry, which I don't care about at all.
Size.. how would 4.9 handle 40+ miles out? Reefs are generally smoother waters, but red fish aren't in reefs... (excluding trout)
Looks to be in great cosmetic condition, going to try line up an inspection on the easter weekend if hes like me and doesn't do anything but work his whole life :P
Trailers a bit how your going...
I also won't have a dollar to spend on it for about two years then hopefully the minister of war and finance will allow a big overhaul if its needed!

Pros
Has allot of power for the size of boat, so looking at 35+ knots at full noise and cruise speeds of maybe 25kts (would that feel safe in a cat?
The price is too good to not ask all these questions! It is going seriously cheap.... This begs the questions as to why obviously, but I have already driven past it before it was up for sale, also have talked to the owner previously about how hes restoring his it. Says there is not much left to do to finish the project but I will ask and find out I suppose.
Unfortunately for me all I see in a boat going cheap is. If I spend x now and use it for y... it will be worth Z!! when I want to sell it... (hasn't worked wonders for me in the past as I have two boats in the yard at the moment...

So please guys, talk me into it or talk me out of it!
What should I look for, what do I need to know! will it even suit the conditions of Cairns waters...

mitc69
02-04-2015, 07:23 AM
if you do decide to go ahead with it.. i do suggest u leave from deeral boat ramp, you get to the reef zone in less then 20mins at 15knots :).. the water is MUCH calmer then leaving from portsmith

with the boat it's fine.. the question come down to is long your comfortable with the boat and can handle it, otherwise there this that i found, lol
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-3135551/1996-SHARK-CAT-525?

personally never had a markhan boat or no any that has one or been in one.. but for most... req for reef+ 5.5m for mono and 5m for multi would be the bare min but then i've seen crazy 3.5 dory out there :)

Camhawk88
02-04-2015, 07:44 AM
The boat will get you out there in 15knots but it will be bloody uncomfortable. Cant say I have been in a Markham Whaler but have read plenty about them- Ill leave to you to do that research and make up your mind.

Sounds like it is a not quiet finished project which means you will have to spend money on it.

Without seeing the boat , the condition or the price I cant offer much advice one way or the other but if you are looing for a dedicated reef boat I would keep looking for something above 6M.

Noelm
02-04-2015, 08:41 AM
the 4.9 was an OK boat, not great, but OK, not too sure why you wouldn't feel safe in it?? be a thousand times better/safer than (say) a 4.9 Quintrex once they got to about 5.5M they were much better, anything smaller was just OK.

PatricsOnTheCoast
02-04-2015, 10:49 AM
The condition of the hull seems quite sound, without stepping inside (snuck around this morning for a closer look)
But that's where it seems to end. The trailer needs a respray as its got surface rust all over, interiors OK, no batteries, only a single throttle instead of two for duel motors?? Actually looks like one is missing.
Fuel tank senders are disconnected and there is likely more. Its definitely a project that he discovered was too big for him.

Its still a steal at $8000 as the cheapest I've seen on is $23000...
However on my budget, its possibly way too much work.

scottar
02-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Trailers tend to rust from the inside out so it might be a bit/lot more than a respray. If you can't afford to sink more coin into it for a couple of years I would walk away now.

mitc69
02-04-2015, 05:56 PM
think of it this way with the amount of info we have given by you... here my break down toward a project, if i ever started one

if you dont have access to workshop it'll be costly
trailer like state above rust from inside out... get a maul smack it and you'll know, pending how it go you looking at 500-5000 (New)
check if the hull is brittle or light color powdery or smoothy if so it's a dead project :).. cost way too much
you'll mostly sink some antifoul, cost u maybe 20-150 pending on yourself i guess
old thing i would consider a full rewiring, so it'll cost you another 50-250 pending on yourself agian
you'll need to check for corrosion at joint points
you'll 100% replace the bilge pump, mostly the live tank pump too, that go another 100-300
2x battery 150 each unless going deep cycle + jump starter for safety 150
epirb 100-300
fire extinguisher 50-150
sounder 80-2500
throttle control operation 150-500
your lights font and back plus extra is having 50-500
fuel tank if none
well there your basic... replacing or having new
then there your twin motor like you spec.. have it been serviced? look after? what psi it flowing at... so your still looking at 2k min... this is all assuming you have basic wiring skills and so on :)

so in the end if motor all check out good, it's not a bad deal... otherwise personally your better off 2nd hand :)

rayken1938
02-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Do a google on markham whaler problems
Here is one to consider
http://www.fishnet.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=793136&sid=1f1024663c436cc6b32ded5cbf13c0ca
Cheers
Ray