PDA

View Full Version : Repowering DF140 -> DF175

LoungeLizard
01-04-2015, 06:52 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of repowering my boat from a 2007 DF140 to a new DF175. I don't have much knowledge about doing this and was wondering:

Can I re-use my old controls and analog gauges? If not, roughly how much extra would new controls + digital gauges cost?
Anybody recently got quote to have a DF175 fitted? I'll be getting local quotes but if it's worth it I might tow the boat to Brissy.
How much can I realistically expect to get for the old motor? It's in good condition, with roughly 250hrs

FisHard
01-04-2015, 07:16 AM
I've got a 2014 Suzi 140. Found the best price through AMC at Springwood Bris. It was a boat show special last year @ $14 k fitted! They did a good job with it too.
2nd hand low hour four strokes are like gold. I reckon you'd get about $8k for yours with controls etc.

myusernam
01-04-2015, 08:08 AM
if its any help ill give you $5k :)

scottar
01-04-2015, 08:43 AM
Aren't the new DF175's "fly by wire". If so your controls will need to be changed.

LoungeLizard
01-04-2015, 09:08 AM
if its any help ill give you $5k :)
No help at all :)

Aren't the new DF175's "fly by wire". If so your controls will need to be changed.
Part of what I'm trying to find out. The "lean burn" was introduced on the DF150/175 in 2013, but I'm not sure if "Suzuki Precision Control" (fly by wire) is now standard/optional. I know the DF175 can interface with my Garmin 750s, so I might not need all the gauges.

FisHard
01-04-2015, 10:32 AM
I have no gauges, it all comes through my Simrad via nmea2000.

outta line
01-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Think the fly buy wire controls are only on the lean burn models only.. I could be wrong tho

scottar
01-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Just make sure that if you are going to use your GPS as your instrumentation, that a separate alarm and panel of indicator lights is fitted. Unless things have changed, there is no audible alarm through the NMEA2K and not all alarm indications on the lights are allowed for either from memory.

FisHard
01-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Just make sure that if you are going to use your GPS as your instrumentation, that a separate alarm and panel of indicator lights is fitted. Unless things have changed, there is no audible alarm through the NMEA2K and not all alarm indications on the lights are allowed for either from memory.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned there is a small module for that purpose still.

FisHard
01-04-2015, 02:23 PM
You can see the little alarm module in the middle of the dash. I normally run the NSS7 in half instruments and half sounder, the the NSS12 as gps alone.

scottar
01-04-2015, 04:07 PM
That looks like a new version of the light panel FisHard. The older ones were a little "agricultural". Haines must have had some complaints.

LoungeLizard
05-04-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info on the instrumentation. Means I wouldn't need all the digital gauges.

Question is still, can I use my old controls? I've searched a bit on the net, can't get any clear indication. There seems to be 2 models: DF175 and DF175TG, where the TG is the lean burn model, with (possibly) fly-by-wire.

Also, anybody recently got a quote to have one installed? Just having a brief chat to some locals it sounds like well over $20K :o

Phydeaux
05-04-2015, 11:48 AM
AMC fitted a df50 to my boats previous owner, over 5 years they had serviced it and NEVER changed the internal anodes. When the head corroded they told him it's time for a re-power. That's how I bought the boat and had to weld the head. I now have to weld the engine holder and re-face it to stop the oil going milky.

I have not dealt with AMC but would double up on servicing if buying from them just to be sure. At last while in wrty. Internal anodes were completely disintegrated and valve lash was never done, motor has about 900 hours and after valve lash it runs sweet. These new suzuks are really nice. I wouldn't spend the extra for the lean burn, a lot of money for an O2 sensor, unless you run a charter you will not likely see the difference.

You will get 7-8k for the df140 without much trouble

http://suzukimarine.com.au/assets/outboard-categories/brochures/suzuki-marine-high-performance-outboards-brochure.pdf

looks like the TG is fly by wire, has O2 feedback and troll mode, the 175 is not, surprised they don't offer troll mode across the board but my guess is you need fly by wire to use the rpm selector

scottar
05-04-2015, 08:15 PM
Not the first time I have heard comment that the anodes in the new zuke's need regular changing. I had been told that they are pretty much gone in the 100 hours between services. Pretty poor form on a dealers part.