PDA

View Full Version : Transducer options

thylacene
26-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Having recently set up with gear to go deep dropping, I have become a bit frustrated with the limitations of the 600w transducer on the Garmin GPSMAP 750s we use as a sounder. I have been looking at 1kw transducers, and the TM260 airmar transom mount is huge. Do I have any other options in a transom mount? 4kg is a lot of weight to have hanging off the transom while towing. Anyone else looked into this?

viking57
27-03-2015, 06:35 AM
Hi Thycalene,

I have the AIRMAR 1 kw through hull transducer and it is a big mother also. There is a much smaller through hull option but you need to buy two senders to get a dual beam. My mate Jeff has installed these on his brilliant new cat SHORT FUSE. I think there is a thread here somewhere on his build, otherwise I will alert him to your post. Jeff may be able to help you with this. Viking 57

marto78
27-03-2015, 07:12 AM
Ive got the TM260 and the TM150 hanging off the back of my tinny and I towed it up to Bathurst Heads and back last year without any issues.

It was roughly 4500 km round trip with about 500km on some heavily corragated dirt roads and another 70km dragging the trailer through some pretty bad goat tracks, however there was no boat on this leg of the journey.

The trannys held on no problems but the bracket holding my tail lights on the trailer broke the weld after we got back on the bitumen and fell off, which wasn't oo bad IMO because it was only a Redco Sportsman trailer designed for use on the bitumen.

The TM260 is only held on with the supplied self tappers.

Birdy
27-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Thylacene ,

No dramas with my TM260 on a Signature , dragged it around the place a bit over the few years I've had it. The bracket is plenty strong enough to handle it and it will make your 750 do this .

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108179&stc=1

Birdy

thylacene
27-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Thylacene ,

No dramas with my TM260 on a Signature , dragged it around the place a bit over the few years I've had it. The bracket is plenty strong enough to handle it and it make your 750 do this .

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108179&stc=1

Birdy

birdy, can't see that pic, maybe you could mail it to me instead, keen to get some idea what sort of difference it could make