PDA

View Full Version : Butane cooker replacement???

Oog.
25-03-2015, 11:51 AM
I guess I am like many others who as per the threads on these things being banned and dangerous, have a couple on my boat also.

But the big question for me now is what is available out there to replace them with?

I purposely built the stove recess in my recent boat build to accommodate one of these "butane bombs"

I have been using these things on my boats for about nine years and built the recess on the latest boat because, one, they are simple and cheap to use, and two, I did not want LPG bottles on the boat either.

So what is the alternative without going LPG, or is LPG it?

Metho? - I did google the Origo metho stoves and they may be an option - an expensive option.

Anyone had anything to do with metho stoves or any other ideas?

Thanks

brett62
25-03-2015, 02:21 PM
I have a Metho stove and they are ok but you don't get the heat out put so cooking can be very slow. If you are boiling water for a cupper and can be a long wait. I would not be to worried about using gas if you are set up correctly and vented. I have a clamp on BBQ out the back on the swim platform which works well and have the Metho stove in the cabin. I also have one of the little butane cookers which I also will now throw away. I am sure that someone will come up with a fix for them(redesign) as they are very popular.

Shagga
25-03-2015, 04:09 PM
I have just bought one of these for the boat. Seems to be better quality than others I have looked at. If used correctly and maintained properly, I don't see any issue with it. Has anyone else got one of these? If so what is your experience with them. These were not on the list but are still a butane burner.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108099&stc=1

Oog.
25-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Thanks Brett, I thought the metho stoves might be a bit slow.

I see the specs for the Origo metho stove says it will boil one litre of water in ten minutes.

I just tried the butane jobby and it did it in five.

Oog.
25-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Shagga, can't see the pic.

Shagga
25-03-2015, 08:00 PM
That's odd. I could see the pic on my computer but can't see it on my iPad. I will post it again tomorrow.

Tangles
25-03-2015, 09:27 PM
i have the safari chef or cadacbbq… can get them here from camping stores… they work well

http://www.cadacbbq.com.au/portable-bbq/safari#2

Shagga
26-03-2015, 04:47 AM
Try again.

Oog.
26-03-2015, 06:56 AM
Thanks Tangles, I will send an email to them to find a retailer up my way so I can go and have a look at one.
I need it to stow at less than 140mm high to fit in my stove recess.

Oog.
26-03-2015, 07:05 AM
Have a look at the QLD Gov page https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/safety-and-health/alerts-bulletins-search/alerts-bulletins/petroleum-gas/butane-gas-cookers

It lists the brands, but also the certificate numbers to look for.

An interesting thing is the "key Issues" are all misuse of the cooker, not so much as an inherent fault.

Shagga
26-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Oog,

Thanks for the link. Correction, mine is on the list and has never been used. I will now try and return it to the place of purchase.

Scalem
09-04-2015, 10:07 PM
I just bought one of these from Ana##=a, used it over the Easter weekend twice and the canister still feels full, boils the kettle in no time and cooked a small frypan bacon and eggs no issue. Extremely hot if you turn it up. Two gas sizes to choose from, I bought the largest to give more stability with a bigger base as it screws on top of the gas cartridge. For me, I now prefer this to the butane cooker because it packs away to practically nothing. Surprisingly stable In the boat, although I am looking for the clip on legs which are probably these http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/351362507887?nav=SEARCH he shows in this video which will make it that much safer. http://youtu.be/y3casmXfaeE

I think I paid $32 for the burner only + the cartridge and an emergency style flint in case my BBQ lighter gets wet and I can't find the matches....

Scalem

P.S. There are two elements to the stability issue, the stability of the whole assembly without anything placed on the cooktop, and the stability of the billy or frypan that is likely to slide because of limited surface area where they come into contact with the support arms. All I can say is be careful here, I would be very reluctant to cook anything if the boat is rocking around too much. But I guess that is the case with any cooking being done on board. User common sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bremic
10-04-2015, 11:07 AM
Scalem, I wouldn't use one of these in a boat. We use a couple when tramping, and a strong wind can be enough to tip them over. With the billy sitting so high, the centre of gravity is all wrong. I have another one that has a separate hose to the gas, and has a much lower centre of gravity, but still only has a small footprint. Also, these stoves only have three small contact points with the billy, even if the stove were secure, it wouldn't take much to have the billy slide off.

Scalem
10-04-2015, 11:28 AM
Scalem, I wouldn't use one of these in a boat. We use a couple when tramping, and a strong wind can be enough to tip them over. With the billy sitting so high, the centre of gravity is all wrong. I have another one that has a separate hose to the gas, and has a much lower centre of gravity, but still only has a small footprint. Also, these stoves only have three small contact points with the billy, even if the stove were secure, it wouldn't take much to have the billy slide off.

Thanks for your advise, you have addressed my concerns which is why I am looking at the extending feet that clip onto the bottom of the canister. The billy sliding off is separate to this which I don't think there are any answers to unless I build a shield/ stand that shares the load of creating a more stable base to place the billy. I have already measured the height which is 17.5cm. More thought to go into this however.

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MEG-A-BITE
10-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Coleman Eventemp Stove is a good option. Can get them from BCF. My mate has one and loves it.

Alchemy
10-04-2015, 12:26 PM
I use a Maxi brand two burner metho stove I got from whitworths. Yes it is slow compared to gas but time isn't usually a big issue for me when on the water. It is easy to use and easy to carry spare fuel. I use a cast iron fry pan which holds the heat well too. I like the idea of Brett's with the BBQ mounted out the back as well and will likely add one of these one day.

Scalem
10-04-2015, 05:52 PM
I have another one that has a separate hose to the gas, and has a much lower centre of gravity, but still only has a small footprint. Also, these stoves only have three small contact points with the billy, even if the stove were secure, it wouldn't take much to have the billy slide off.

Bremic, sorry, this is a learning curve on mini stoves. Quoting you above, is this the sort of thing you are talking to lower centre of gravity? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Outdoor-Picnic-Butane-Gas-Burner-Portable-Camping-Mini-Steel-Stove-Case-KK-/261812438382?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cf53cc56e

I can still get one of these, miles in front they are not much money to buy.

Scalem

Bremic
11-04-2015, 11:34 AM
Yep, that is the one. The photo looks like the arms give a larger bearing surface for the billy to sit on. The hose offers another advantage in that you can tip type gas can upside down. This is useful in cold weather, won't be an issue for use around Brisbane. Tipping it upside down will also allow to use most of the gas in the can.