PDA

View Full Version : New Boat New Boater

boating
22-03-2015, 10:16 PM
I am getting close to order a new boat since I got so brain-washed by Boat area.

Likewise all other experienced boaters, I have been researching and finding I have lots of unsolving questions.

Much appreciated if anyone would be able to comment on my wondering.

We have 3 kids, wife, and me. (5 ppl)
Located in Sydney kind of near Hawkesbury river.
Love finshing and kids would love fishing and bit of water playing.

Boat interested: 560(aluminium) with 130 HP outboard.

Questions: Let me start with simple ones
1. Marine Stereo:
- Is that good one to have with new boat ? or install it when I need it ? or should I stick to Portable Bluetooth speaker ?

2. Full Camper cover or just standard Bimini:
- would be good enough for us ? I am not into the finishing yet, but would be addicted to go out offshore eventually. Better to order with boat or when I need it ??

3. Rear Seat and live flushed bait tank.
- Found many of recent rear seat(2/3 size of whole back) located right behind of driving wheel and transom door behind of partner seat. Is there a reason which would help boat driving ? From my view, it means all the weight goes to one side.
- Is that transom door critical part of boat ? or should be ok to put Live bait tank with flush.

4. Is that Anchor Winch worth to install while ordering a boat ? or just use as manual ?
- More elect-gear means more to look after. would you get it if you order new boat?

5. Deck Wash Pump:
Is that something would you have ? or just use your hose at home ?

6. Rear Rail:
- only Rear part as standard. would it be better if it's longer toward to mid of cockpit area ? or no need ?

7. Seats for 2x front seats:
- Poled seat as standard. It looks bit not practical. question is anyone find better seat types that utilise space well ??

8. Flushed Live bait tank:
- This will be installed, and again in practical, where the tank should located in the rear side ? As part of Bait board ? Part of rear part of transom ?

I guess any of comment on any question would be so helpful to all the new boaters.

Thank you very much again.

John

desertislander
23-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Hi John, I went through the same trauma a few months ago, you might find the responses I had helpful, a great bunch of guys on here who really did make a difference to my final decision. Here is a link to my responses which you might find useful http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php/199729-Which-boat-best-for-a-novice
Good luck

Feral
23-03-2015, 09:01 AM
Some of those questions people will need to know what you are going to use the boat for before they comment on the worth.
EG, if your going to just tool about on the Hawksbury, the anchor winch drops down the list, if your going to go offshore, it might go higher up the list!

mitc69
23-03-2015, 09:10 AM
1 - not realli unless you have dual battery or one for it alone.. and install your own is better.. but nowday we just use iphone with sound stereo

2 - half cabin if u got kids who just perfer to play iphone / tv instead of fishing lol and sleeping overnight... otherwise it heats up very nice lol
- walkaround.. same thing but u get to sun bake in the font of the boat too... or when u get thoes annoying fish that run to font of the boat
- if your gettin bimini.. better to get a bowrider boat

3- to drive flat.. make sure u balance out the weight or u'll understeer... transom door is optional.. i dont see them much nowday beside on driver boats or inboard motors

4- i used to do it manually :) but at 100-200m.... hope it dosent worn you out when u move here and there.. but if your just in the bay.. manually is perfer

5- not need.. just wash it down at home or at the ramps

6- good for kids nothing else

7- just use back seats.. and have autopilot lol.. otherwise some of us just stands... or make sure there removable seats

8- perfer back left hand side... your sounder and pump is normally on the right... while bait board in the middle.. otherwise there afew who customs it to the left side middle and use it as a seat too

no point in going brand new.. there all the same... ride dosent change... low hr motors and full service book for 2nd hand... i personally wouldnt do anymore then 4 passager on a 5.6m unless your on a cat.. or a total of 500kg...

boating
23-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Hi Desertislander,

Thanks for your post. Surely your link helped me and congrat for your Haines Signature Boat.

2 things I would like to confirm with you.

1. What would u buy if you have second chance from scratch if you are looking for similar size of boat? Similar Fiber boat with the outboard(type and hp) ?

2. Would you recommend me second hand like other people ? or new one ? I am willing to have it for long time like my car.

Thank you again for your commend !!

John.

boating
23-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Some of those questions people will need to know what you are going to use the boat for before they comment on the worth.
EG, if your going to just tool about on the Hawksbury, the anchor winch drops down the list, if your going to go offshore, it might go higher up the list!

Hi Feral,

Thanks for your information.

further information I am looking for after your comment is, Should I get it from order of boat or just do it when becoming offshore rider? I guess latter would be the answer.

is that right ?

John.

boating
23-03-2015, 10:21 AM
1 - not realli unless you have dual battery or one for it alone.. and install your own is better.. but nowday we just use iphone with sound stereo

2 - half cabin if u got kids who just perfer to play iphone / tv instead of fishing lol and sleeping overnight... otherwise it heats up very nice lol
- walkaround.. same thing but u get to sun bake in the font of the boat too... or when u get thoes annoying fish that run to font of the boat
- if your gettin bimini.. better to get a bowrider boat

3- to drive flat.. make sure u balance out the weight or u'll understeer... transom door is optional.. i dont see them much nowday beside on driver boats or inboard motors

4- i used to do it manually :) but at 100-200m.... hope it dosent worn you out when u move here and there.. but if your just in the bay.. manually is perfer

5- not need.. just wash it down at home or at the ramps

6- good for kids nothing else

7- just use back seats.. and have autopilot lol.. otherwise some of us just stands... or make sure there removable seats

8- perfer back left hand side... your sounder and pump is normally on the right... while bait board in the middle.. otherwise there afew who customs it to the left side middle and use it as a seat too

no point in going brand new.. there all the same... ride dosent change... low hr motors and full service book for 2nd hand... i personally wouldnt do anymore then 4 passager on a 5.6m unless your on a cat.. or a total of 500kg...

Hi Mitc69,

Thanks for your Expertise advice.

1. Yes it would come with dual battery. I guess I should ensure 12v cigar jack for it.

2. It will be a Half cabin boat and I waswondering if its good to cover full as full camper cover like this:
http://boatsales.li.csnstatic.com/boatsales/boat/private/bp5157049233123009854.jpg?height=700&width=1050&aspect=FitWithinNoPad
==> after your comment, I would go for bit larger bimini if they have.

3. I will get rid of transom door and put the live bait tank in the port side of the boat. would it be ok from your point ? Anything to doublecheck when you get it ?

4. Probabaly not getting ?

5. Not getting.

6. Bit longer rail I guess.

7. This is the quite big topic as it will impact the whole floor plan. Just removable seat for front 2 seats, then eskimo type of backsupporting seat for front and mid ? headache part.

8. Port side. nice.

Thanks again, but I don't see any 2nd boat in Sydney with the combination that I am looking for thats why I was kind of forced to New boat boundary.

cheers,

John

mitc69
23-03-2015, 11:54 AM
the more i read it, the more it sound like your better off with a glass boat :)
all half cabin is the common 2 removable seats in the font and a removable back seat... not much u can do about floor plan unless it custom made while cat boat has the 2 seat in font and 1 long seat in the middle

i have a seafox just like this one, just with a twin motor
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-3203690/2001-Sea-Fox-210WA?
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-1063521/2003-Sea-Fox-210-WALKAROUND?

where the seats are, behind it is where my esky and a removable back seat next to live tanks or i can switch it to a side seat pending on who i bring.. with glass boat like these u solve most of your needs i guess.. all it come down is to budget

cost abit more then aluminum at first.. but long term... great for bay / reef / deep sea you can even use it to ski if u wanna burn fuel :)

dont limit yourself to local.. look at other near by cities, and check dealers

zan0_15
23-03-2015, 02:19 PM
Pm sent boating.

boating
24-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Pm sent boating.

Thanks Zan.

boating
24-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi Mitc69

Nice Seafox. Wish that i would have one. oops... thats 6.4 meters. I can't afford the size atm. but later when I move to bigger frontage of house.

For Back seat, I would be better to remove the foldable bench, then add 2 esky removable seat which can move to side of each gunwale. What would you think ? means the rail should be longer than standard.

$$$ talk.

It becomes Glass vs Plate boat now.

John.

the more i read it, the more it sound like your better off with a glass boat :)
all half cabin is the common 2 removable seats in the font and a removable back seat... not much u can do about floor plan unless it custom made while cat boat has the 2 seat in font and 1 long seat in the middle

i have a seafox just like this one, just with a twin motor
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-3203690/2001-Sea-Fox-210WA?
http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/private/used/SSE-AD-1063521/2003-Sea-Fox-210-WALKAROUND?

where the seats are, behind it is where my esky and a removable back seat next to live tanks or i can switch it to a side seat pending on who i bring.. with glass boat like these u solve most of your needs i guess.. all it come down is to budget

cost abit more then aluminum at first.. but long term... great for bay / reef / deep sea you can even use it to ski if u wanna burn fuel :)

dont limit yourself to local.. look at other near by cities, and check dealers

desertislander
24-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Hi Desertislander,

Thanks for your post. Surely your link helped me and congrat for your Haines Signature Boat.

2 things I would like to confirm with you.

1. What would u buy if you have second chance from scratch if you are looking for similar size of boat? Similar Fiber boat with the outboard(type and hp) ?

2. Would you recommend me second hand like other people ? or new one ? I am willing to have it for long time like my car.

Thank you again for your commend !!

John.

Hi John

To answer your questions I would say I am very happy with my final decision on a fibre glass boat and would get the same again, it's not too big to handle alone but big enough if ever I wanted to go out into the main ocean and has 115 HP motor. As to buying second hand or new thats your call, if you have plenty of money then go new. I went second hand for cost and chose a good name model with a great reputation so it's very resaleable if ever I decided to sell it in a few years.
Of course, buying second hand is a mine field so you really have to do your research (as you are here) and also be a bit of a handy man/mechanic so you can sort things out if and when they occur. (I just replaced my damaged steering cable and fitted a new hydraulic steering stytem on my own and so saved myself quite a bit)
I hope this helps
Cheers
Phil