PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Mangrove Jack Comp March 27-29

the gecko
20-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Hi Guys,
there is a new jack comp starting up and it will be run next weekend. Sign up is at BCF Oxenford friday 27 March 5-7pm, or Sat 28 March 8-10am. Awards and prizes held Sunday 4pm at Coomera Watersports Clun, next to the boat ramp by Oxenford M1 bridge.

$500 first prize and trophy for biggest jack, 2nd prize, and random draw prizes. Of course, bragging rights is a huge incentive to jack anglers..........

I am on the committee for this comp so feel free to ask any questions. Thanks to the admins here for letting me post this. It is a non profit event, and hopefully the first of many jack comps.

Landbased anglers, kayaks and boaters are welcome to enter, cost is $20. Lure or bait is OK, and pics of jacks caught will need to be submitted on a brag mat with a special token that we will supply, so that we know it was caught that weekend. Anglers have the option of catch and release or keeping the fish.

The comp group is based on facebook. Find us at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mja.tournament/
for quicker answers and to download the entry form.
you can also email us at mjatournament@gmail.com

Or just turn up at BCF Oxenford anytime to enter.
BCF are offering anglers 20% off all fishing including rods, reels, tackle, bait, just mention this ad.

cheers
Andrew

the gecko
24-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Theres been some good jacks caught in Coomera, Runaway Bay and Tweed areas in the last 7-10 days as the rivers clear up. We have 13 paid entrants so far, and expect a field of 30 anglers on the weekend. I reckon 6 or 7 jacks will be caught, as its hard to target them and perform on the day, so that gives everyone great odds of winning a $500 bcf voucher and trophy.

By our next comp in October, we could be up to 40-50 anglers per comp.

Dont forget BCF Oxenford are giving our comp anglers 20% off rods, reel and tackle. One guy just spent $800 on 2 rods and reels, so that would normally cost $1,000, saving $200.

cheers
Andrew

wayno60
24-03-2015, 02:22 PM
im in..........

Sheik
25-03-2015, 08:31 AM
Nice one gecko, hope the numbers pick up. What charity is the comp for if any?
Does that limit of Jacobs Well mean the Logan is not included? Excuse my ignorance, I'm not that well into the GC area.
regards jim

the gecko
25-03-2015, 11:38 AM
The comp area has been amended to Brisbane river to Tweed Heads, so Logan river is fine. It is a not for profit event, so any proceeds go towards the club itself for the next comp in Oct/Nov. We have plenty of expenses to cover like venue hire, trophy, and food and drink. Numbers are looking good, and the event is proving very popular, becuase it encourages amatuers and land based guys to join, instead of the pro style team events for boaters.

astro66
25-03-2015, 03:35 PM
wayno is looking to expand the resume :P jack have been really quiet since the cyclone flooded the crap out of everything...this weekend looks like the first weekend with clean water for months ...jew in the 70s were out last weekend thats if the crabs didnt kill your mullet first :D

the gecko
25-03-2015, 04:31 PM
jacks have been really quiet since Jan rains, up until last 2 weeks. Theres been plenty of jacks from 45 -55cms caught on the Gold Coast in the last 2 weeks. It seems a lot of younger guys use facebook now for jack pics, and that less are posting on ausfish. Its a shame.

Matthias
26-03-2015, 12:29 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108110&stc=1

Matthias
26-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Looks like fun Andrew. Wish I wasn't so busy with other things (crap) otherwise I'd be in =) A few jacks around at the moment so should get a few during the comp.

Cheers
Pete

wayno60
27-03-2015, 06:53 AM
Astro,
Im up against in this comp.... im in very distinguished company...but thats what i thought at Noosa and who came away with all the chocolates...

the gecko
27-03-2015, 09:22 AM
Numbers have picked up, and some very experienced jack fishos who cant resist the challenge and have signed up. There are a few guys who have a history of pulling jacks over 60cm, but to do it this weekend under pressure is another story altogether. Its gonna come down to who has a bit of luck I think.

Weather is looking good. A couple of ausfish guys have entered. Whos gonna win the trophy?

BLOOEY
30-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Couldn't get there myself unfortunately , would have been fun. Maybe next year if it happens. How'd everyone go?

wayno60
31-03-2015, 12:11 AM
Blooey,
Theres talk of another comp in Nov???

How'd everyone go? don't ask..

astro66
31-03-2015, 05:18 AM
that bad ? i had the same ..worked hard to find a couple of mullet tore the net apart on the last cast and then 30 mins later there was a school of thousands around the boat pretty much jumping in lol ..dont you hate that :D

the gecko
31-03-2015, 12:30 PM
We had 66 entrants which is twice what we expected. About 6 guys caught jacks, and two of those caught 2 each. Im waiting on the exact numbers, as Ive been away all day yesterday. Winner was Shaun Hagen with a jack of 57cm caught near Jumpin Pin, and he also took out Total length with a second jack combining with the first.

Well done to Shaun, who also wonthe GCSFC jack come the week before! I was fully expecting that only 10% of entrants would catch jacks, as this has been the form in other comps.

Since our numbers were such a success, we put the extra funds back into prizes. 6 guys won random draw bfc vouchers, and there was a kayak and rod combo given away as door prizes.

Looks like everyone is keen to do it again Oct/Nov....

nathank
31-03-2015, 12:36 PM
i will be in it next time, was away and missed it damn it... Your right about the fish not getting posted on here anymore, facebook unfortunately is bringing about the end of heaps of online fishing sites, SFX had been around for ages and last year packed up for good. BTW there has been tons of Jacks caught over the last few months.

BLOOEY
01-04-2015, 06:20 AM
Looks like everyone is keen to do it again Oct/Nov...

The best time for big jacks i reckon. Thanks for the report Gecko.