PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Point DISGRACE

smokin joe
19-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Am just back from double Island Point camping trip, what is wrong with people nowadays. you finally find a campsite that looks suitable only to find it covered in dung and toilet paper. there are not many sites that don't have some toilet paper visable. What ever happened to digging a deep hole and leaving it as you found it, this new generation of campers will ruin it for all of us. Surely if this continues we risk loosing this gem for future generations. :'(

StevenM
20-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Actually when I camp anywhere these days we no longer dig deep holes.

like the rest of our waste it gets bagged and leaves with us and gets disposed off appropriately

nathan dumschat
20-03-2015, 07:23 AM
Hi Smokin Joe, I thought it was law you have to take a portapotty when camping along Teewah beach and it was illegal to dig a hole, Craig

Still_Dreamin
20-03-2015, 07:29 AM
I take a porta potti. But I agree it is too easy and too cheap to access so you get all the degenerates in their shortened patrol/landcruiser/hilux up there. Last time I wwent a group of them hit their premix tinnies hard from early in the morning until around 2200 when they decided it was time for doing donuts and dune jumping. Myself and some other campsites held an intervention and put a stop to it but after seeing the filth they left behind when they left the next day it was the final straw for me
me. My family and I haven't been back since. We now go to Fraser/Moreton/Straddie where the cost of access prohibits/reduces these wa#kers. Sure it costs me more but it is much more enjoyable.

Can't say I know anyone who bags their own waste and takes it with them but good work StevenM. Porta potti much easier

smokin joe
20-03-2015, 07:52 AM
We take a porta loo as well, the point of this is the lazy s#%ts that leave it for all to deal with,

Still_Dreamin
20-03-2015, 08:05 AM
Yep that's the reason I now go elsewhere.

smokin joe
20-03-2015, 08:05 AM
South Stradbroke and surrounding areas were people camp are no different , maybe park rangers should do random toilet facility checks , no toilet and youre out.Totally agree Craig but you would have thought a hole would be a last resort instead of leaving land mines all over the place.

Still_Dreamin
20-03-2015, 08:14 AM
I can only speak of North Straddie and the rangers are regularly driving through checking permits etc and are on top of things early. The police also drive by occasionally. Fraser Island has some issues with backpackers who do their business wherever they fancy and leave paper everywhere but I just avoid camps popular with them. Moreton is awesome though.

smokin joe
20-03-2015, 09:14 AM
On South Straddie rangers seem to pick up camp fees and that's the last you see of them? Four days at Teewah beach and Rainbow ,no rangers seen or police, in saying that it was pretty quiet up there ,think they may need to lift there game plan.

Robg
20-03-2015, 10:24 AM
This is exactly why I wont camp in these spots. Too many bogans who ruin it for the rest of us. I guess it is the way people are these day in the age of self entitlement, nothing is more important to them other than themselves, screw everyone else.

nathan dumschat
20-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Yes I must agree, S J ,a deep hole is better than human waste every where, I use to camp there 30 years ago but gave up going, I go to Inskip better toilet blocks for your money I only camp there in the winter to many bites in summer, the money you pay and there only two toilet blocks one at DI and one at fresh water flaming disgrace, They should have portable toilets every where on the weekends and holidays and if the rangers do not want to look after them I am shore a private contractor would do the job, Craig

smokin joe
20-03-2015, 09:00 PM
Totally agree Craig was thinking on the same lines with portable toilets at each rubbish drop , will stop going there until something is done and it has had time to clean up . I don't want my grandkids camping in those conditions

nathan dumschat
21-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Hi SJ, If you have not camped at Inskip Pt maybe give it try, theses free treated water on the way out of Rainbow beach with free portaloo toilet emptying spot, Great clean toilet blocks everywhere down at Inskip but just camp a little bit away from them they can swell a bit some times if getting full, You can have your dog as long as its on a lead at the camp also you can have a fire, its free to drive on the beach from Mudlo rocks and on the beach at Inskip and it has good fishing for dart and tailor, whiting, If you have a 4 to 5m tinny there's good crabbing and fishing in Tin Can Bay and right thought the sandy straits Plus when the weathers good I slip over the fishamans gutter in my 5m tinny and go reef fishing out to around 10miles of the bar we catch snapper, grass sweetlip, pearlies, mosses perch, cod, mackerel, Top spot I will going there for a month with my wife and 4 kids around the June and July school holiday's, Craig

mitc69
22-03-2015, 05:54 AM
crap is good for the earth :) no idea why they would be illegal... otherwise it also becuz we have lack of rangers, so these new gen just dont care is just isnt taught lol but hey nothing we can do but deal with what we got

airlock
22-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Cant say i ever saw the appeal of camping on north shore, you're pretty much pitching a tent on a main highway alongside people best described as inconsiderate children. the place is always covered with miles of old line, plastic bags full of god knows what and enough beer cans to build a separate island.

Doesn't seem like theres an easy solution either, rangers are few and far between having a lot of ground to cover and not many men or vehicles to get it done, the police set up to take breath and drug test but other then that they really couldn't give two hole fillings.

TheRealAndy
23-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Do the cops even patrol up there anymore? When I was 18, you could almost be sure there would be RBT's on the beach on a Sunday and regular patrols on a Saturday with radar set ups. Maybe the cops need to get up there on a Friday/Saturday night to help weed out the morons.

airlock
24-03-2015, 08:55 PM
cops tend to limit themsleves to long weekends and school holiday periods, other then that you won't really see them. sometimes theres a car hanging around on the road between the cuttings looking for 4x4's to ticket but you won't see them on the beach unless theres a really big crowd expected.

salty23
25-03-2015, 03:54 PM
Would have been a top spot 50 yrs ago.... The first time I went there 6 years ago I could not believe the amount of rubbish there... Considering it is a Nat park... A lot of the rubbish was just laying on the beach... Humans are grubs! They should have allocated sites up there and should collect deposits redeemable if site is left tidy... I would pay more to go for a more pristine experience.... Unfortunately, the government is reducing spending on administering and monitoring the parks. Encouraging large amounts of people into the parks is a great revenue raiser... so the environmental impacts are ignored.
I will be going back.... If only to sit on the dunes with a beer and imagine how good it once was!

nathan dumschat
27-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Hi S23, My Dad first camped up there around 1935, and stopped camping there as soon as it became a NP. but just went over for day trips, I have been going there for around 50 years and in the early days there was still wackers who got on the turps and left all there crap there, I just tow my 5m tinny up there now and go fishing from DI bay for the day, but never camp anymore, I prefer to camp at Inskip PT in the winter or go to Cape York for a few months at a time and get away from every one , Craig

Mrs Ronnie H
28-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Hi all
Thats the reason we don't camp DI. Went for a drive up the beach to check out some spots, Got out of the car and first thing i stood in was someones used toilet paper. Lucky i had shoes on I reckon.
Think the rangers need to inspect camp sites and start fining ppl who don't have a porta potti. If it isn't compulsory it should be.
Mrs H

nathank
29-03-2015, 02:22 PM
There are always idiots doing the wrong thing.. its not a generational thing. South straddy is much better as they have actual toilets and showers at the camp ground and you need a boat to get over there. No need to dig a hole or take it home with you lol

gotya
06-04-2015, 11:16 PM
I say. you use it you clean it !!!! when I go beach camping what I take I bring back (rubbish) unless there are bins there like D I.
I was up their last week just to see what it was like again. I was disappointed as the young UTE GOONS don't appreciate what they have these day, they expect other people to clean up there shit. If I was copper I would have had a field day.....littering, drinking in a public place under 18 yrs old, utes not roadworthy and so on....
Rant over >:(