PDA

View Full Version : Targeting longtail tuna

Jsmfun
19-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Hi all will be targeting longtails on Sunday in the bay and after any sort of reports, if they are in the bay yet , north or southern bay and what's your go to lure I just grabbed a couple of duel lures they look awesome but costly .

any reports would be appreciated cheers scott

PROS
19-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Compared to last year, this year has been very quit in surface activity from my experience.
Last year we regularly saw few different schools of tuna and mackerel working with bird activity.
Very quite this year, only managed to get in to them once so far, wasn't a long tail school.

My understanding is that long tails are always in the bay, they don't migrate out completely.

Most likely they are at deep rather than surface.

Max

Scalem
21-03-2015, 08:23 AM
Should have come to Jones Tackle last night, Neil did a great job explaining how and where to find them. If no birds working try live baiting around the four beacons (now only two)

Good luck finding them!
Scalem

bayfisher
21-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Did 2 trips last week targeting longies, big individual fish and small pods feeding on the run out around the central bay. Havent seen any in the southern bay. Only saw schools of mac tuna in the eastern and northern (though some big ones amongst them). Very scattered at the moment. They are however feeding on big bait like gar and even flyingfish so they are eaiser to target with big stick baits. Will have to be lucky to pin one at the moment as they are not up for long nor feeding heavily and really need luck for them to come up close or have a lucky blind cast. Floating live baits in the area is probably a better option of thats what you prefer. Sundays are always difficult with boat traffic and fish being harassed but all sorts of anglers.
Good Luck

bayfisher
21-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Will just add on the topic of lures I like sinking stickbait they seem to work well and can cast a good distance, anywhere from 3.5inch to 6inch about 25g to 60g. You can spend anywhere from $10 to $100 on one but they all seem to work well regardless, you usually have to upgrade hooks (even on some of the expensive ones) to singles or heavy duty trebles. Plastics also work a treat but are much harder to get infront of feeding fish, which is generally the key to hooking up.
Cheers Chris