PDA

View Full Version : More corrosion issues

alleycat
17-03-2015, 11:51 AM
Just starting another thread so I can add a few photos.
While we are on the subject I would appreciate an opinion on these pics, in mid December I bought a new hull so I washed out old hull and hung it from ropes under the house till I sold it, 2 weeks ago I noticed a moss like covering down the middle, I got out the gerni and removed it and now ive attached a wire from hull to ground hoping it will stop it, my question is did my hanging the boat cause this or has something been spilt in the hull?, as far as I know its not possible anything was spilt so what has caused this reaction?, and would painting halt the damage?. cheers...108009108010108011108012

cwcarter
17-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Search poultice corrosion. Maybe an acid clean with Alibrite will clean out the pores and stop any further reaction.

alleycat
17-03-2015, 12:14 PM
Hi carter, do you think hanging the boat off ropes created the problem??, cheers..

cwcarter
17-03-2015, 10:23 PM
Dampness, dim light and warmth are all contributors to mould, mildew, fungi.
Was the boat dry before storage?
Do you have high humidity?
Is the storage area free from water?....damp soil, water leaks, sprinklers.

alleycat
18-03-2015, 02:46 AM
I guess it was in a dark spot and I washed it out before putting away, so how do I go about halting this, would I treat with say alibright and then paint affected areas?..

gofishin
18-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Just starting another thread so I can add a few photos.
While we are on the subject I would appreciate an opinion on these pics, in mid December I bought a new hull so I washed out old hull and hung it from ropes under the house till I sold it, 2 weeks ago I noticed a moss like covering down the middle, I got out the gerni and removed it and now ive attached a wire from hull to ground hoping it will stop it, my question is did my hanging the boat cause this or has something been spilt in the hull?, as far as I know its not possible anything was spilt so what has caused this reaction?, and would painting halt the damage?. cheers...
Alleycat, I'm confused. Maybe its because it's been a long day already!

In Dec you washed the old tinny and hung it under the house, and then you sold it. 2 weeks ago you noticed moss etc & then found the corrosion shown in pics. Are the pics from the old tinny or the new tinny? Old I guess, but its now been sold???

The pics show some serious pitting. None of this was there before washing & hanging it?

What did you wash it with? Truckwash/degreaser by chance?

What part of house is above? What's below it (where the tinny was hanging), dirt or concrete? What clearance (house to dirt/slab)?

So hanging there for ~2 1/2 months?

alleycat
19-03-2015, 02:54 AM
Gday go fish, the boat is my old one, I had hung it under the house below our bedroom waiting for a young guy who wants it to get 1 thousand bucks together, and no it was fine before, I gave it a good hose out with a gerni and hung it waiting for buyer to get the cash, I noticed a milky coloured thick moss 2 weeks ago and that's whats under it, nasty hey!, the boat was over concrete by a foot or so, will paint halt the damage and what do you think I should ask for it now sale wise, it was just 1000 before with sounder..thanks

gofishin
19-03-2015, 07:06 PM
...I had hung it under the house below our bedroom ... Ahhhh, well that's the problem right there... It was hanging too close to the 'love nest'...! [emoji12]

Seriously, that is some pretty aggressive corrosion. Did someone spill a bucket of bleach or floor cleaner and it dripped through the floor boards into the tinny?

As for painting, it could very easily 'ultimately' make it worse, even if impeccable prep & 2-pack etch primer, multiple 2-pack top coats were used etc. The deep pits could very easily lead to crevice corrosion or similar, and turn into pin holes.

... what do you think I should ask for it now sale wise, it was just 1000 before with sounder..thanks if it wasn't there before it would be fair to think that anyone would want a discount. How much would depend on the full extent of the damage - and what each of you feels is fair. Maybe a few hungi as a guess.
Cheers
PS. Keep the noise down in that nest, the neighbours are complaining :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tunaticer
21-03-2015, 09:00 AM
Does the boat have a false ply wood floor?
My tub is pitted like that after 20 yrs, I have resorted to drilling out leaking pits and peening in rivets to seal it up again.
Removal of my floor is a not simple job so it never really dries under there.

Has anyone seen a suction fan that can be fitted to bung holes to generate airflow when the boat is stored?

Dan5
21-03-2015, 11:24 AM
My tub is pitted like that after 20 yrs, I have resorted to drilling out leaking pits and peening in rivets to seal it up again.

Has anyone seen a suction fan that can be fitted to bung holes to generate airflow when the boat is stored?

Not a suction fan as such but what I have been doing with mine is using the Sthil leaf blower for a few minutes to give it a blast of air in there.........seems to work ok.

Dan

alleycat
21-03-2015, 08:02 PM

Yes jack it has a ply floor, im disappointed at how fast it happened as the water should have been pretty clean, I would have thought a recently made tinny would have been more durable..

tunaticer
22-03-2015, 02:40 PM
It is aluminium after all, not the most stable of metals but best suited to the job.
When I build my next boat I will coat inside with a repellant substance before it ever gets wet.