PDA

View Full Version : Dumbier Trailers, lights had to be replaced!

GLXMAN
17-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Is this normal?
I have been having problems with the LED lights for the last couple of years,
Looking further, I find out the lights are not submersible! ::)
Same company that makes Nanna's Mixed Berries I'm guessing?
Obviously, Australian Standards are not enforced

I should have bought my own trailer when I purchased the boat,
So far,
Replaced tyres
Replaced bearings, 3 months and they were done even with the bearing buddies I added
Replaced wiring and lights, today!
Replaced 4 rollers already, dodgy brackets
Replaced all split pins, all rusted away, now have 316 split pins

Buyer beware!...........Gary

bluefin59
17-03-2015, 10:30 AM
They are built to a price and after having my Belco for 11years all that I replaced in that time was the rods for the rollers and that's only because I put itin deep and drive on . Matt

Agrav8_and_Lulu
17-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Hi Gary,

I've had my dunbier for my 4.2m for 3 years now and never had any issues with it. Lights work first time, rollers, pins ect, all good.

I've replaced the bearings once due to general maintenance and that was before I got bearing buddies. The tyres are good on it, no signs of deterioration and they've done some Ks!

For me it's been a great trailer even on those long trips to Iluka from Ipswich every year.

Cheers
Darren

Mike Delisser
17-03-2015, 04:44 PM
The springs on my 3 year old Dunbier cracked........both sides.
Chinese made and galvanised over rust.
Then I replaced them with a set of Aussie made non-gal springs, lasted 8 years now and still perfect. A big thumbs up to Mayne Springworks.

John Buoy
17-03-2015, 05:40 PM
And now that Dunbier has bought out Mackay they have a good slice of the pie to do what they please !!

stevej
17-03-2015, 07:40 PM
how old was the trailer
and often do you use it

robsue
18-03-2015, 10:49 AM
I got 10 years out of my old dunbier trailer, then I noticed hole underneath on back bar, tyres were due to be replaced, rollers etc so i brought another dunbier trailer.....last 2 years done 176 hours as an example

new trailer design better, I will be happy if I get same years out of new trailer, especially since I will be using it a lot more now that I retired early
I pressure clean my boat and trailer, only my opinion but I think just hosing doesn't get all the salt off

Scalem
18-03-2015, 11:33 AM
6th year chalked up for my Dunbier dual axle drive on and surface rust now appearing at the back half that gets dunked. Coated layer springs and rusty areas with my own mix of roofing tar/small amount of Diesel sump oil blended together.
Active Fabrications at Beenleigh have been my supplier of choice, I have replaced LED submersibles with a sweet design almost exactly the same dimensions as the original lights - $45.
Whoever wired the originals didn't do enough to seal the wire insulation at the joins to prevent salt water tracking back into the light. Brake rotors have been replaced, that was my fault, I thought spraying them with fresh water was enough to prevent rust. Split pins holding rollers is next job, getting a bit dodgy now. Might do it at the ramp next time.

Never have had an issue with bearings, have always used bearing buddies, check them quite often but no need to replace if they don't get hot. Last trip to Bundy and back was no issue.

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevej
18-03-2015, 11:43 AM
buyer beware "they make a ok trailer" you mean to say

they do put shit duro tyres on them
bu t no boat tyre is good for more then a few years, sun salt infrequent use will kill a boat tyre quicke then a car tyre

Bearing buddies dont make bearings last longer,the dust caps installed would do a better job
did you over fill them and blow the back seal out hence dead bearings ?

ive had 3 dubier traiilers all were ok in comparison to what you pay and what others offer
no worse and no better

Scalem
18-03-2015, 12:01 PM
The old expression "killing with kindness" applies to bearing buddies. The spring mechanism is designed to compensate for the small amount of vacuum caused by sudden temperature drop when the hub is in contact with water ie: at the ramp when launching and bearings are still warm from the road trip to get there. Anyone that still has bearing trouble either has not ensured the back rubber seal is installed properly or is pumping too much grease into the hub via the bearing buddy which blows the rear seal out. A simple dust cap does not have this spring mechanism that helps manage the small amount of vaccum caused by temperature fluctuations. Having,and understanding how to manage bearing buddies WILL ensure many more years of trouble free trailering compared to standard dust caps.

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluefin59
18-03-2015, 02:37 PM
If you are seeing any rust on your trailer I would be running around giving it a smack with a hammer to hear if it's still solid because they rust from the inside out ,you will know it's almost shot if you keep getting a dull thud instead of a normal ping when you hit the gal . You might be surprised how bad your trailer is corroded .. Matt

GLXMAN
18-03-2015, 06:16 PM
how old was the trailer
and often do you use it
Hi Steve,
Trailer and boat is 3 years old, bought from new, done 200 hrs
Washed and maintained very well,
........Gary

scottar
18-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Lights being a problem is not an issue that is limited to Dunbier. The Redco Tinka under my Seafarer Victory had "waterproof" LED's fitted. One of them was even mounted upside down so that the water that got in through the drain hole couldn't get out and the light remained full of water. The funny part to the story is that that was the light that was still fully functional - the other one had multiple LED failures and both had heavily corroded wiring from poorly sealed joins. All wiring on the trailer apart from the clearance lamps is one piece up to a junction box on the winch post now. Apart from building in a point of failure, the reasons light manufacturers even bother making "marine" trailer lights with joins in the cables escape me.

bigfella23
31-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Just to fill you in , Dunbier use LED's from LED industries in Melb, they are imported but are made to our specs , with tinned wire throughout.
Tyres have been radials for 5 years now with no issues I am aware of at all.
Looking at stainless split pins now , but trying not to mix metals if possible.
Dunbier's purchase of Mackay does not give any more market power , only the availability of models not previousy available like 4WD offroad trailers, alloy trailers , cat trailers ect.
sorry to hear you have had bearing and roller issues, but we are not aware of dramas here in Dunbier QLD branch.
It is thought that manufacturers are out to rob customers with products , but all Australian trailer manufacturers I know of , try and get the best quality parts available , but still be competitive in a market flooded with imported trailers.

stevej
31-03-2015, 10:18 PM
the duro tyres used by dunbier are the cheapest pieces of rubbish you can get.