PDA

View Full Version : Tabs 4800 side console territory pro

thesquidking
15-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Hi guys
Just looking for any info regarding the tabs 4800 sc.
Do any members here own one or have been in a ride in one if so can you please share info good or bad I'm all ears.
From what I've seen the look like a solid boat and look the goods as a allrounder. Im looking for a boat to replace my 5m Quintrex that got stolen. I was very happy with my Quintrex and the ride of the millenium hull was excellent in inshore waters. Thought I'd just do some homework before buying another Quintrex.

cheers

Angryant
16-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I have a 435 Territory - make sure yours is a plate boat ie. 4mm bottom and 3mm sides.
If it is you will be pleasantly surprised with the quality of the ride.

Have you got any pics?
What year is it manufactured?
What size outboard?

Angry

FisHard
16-03-2015, 09:35 PM
A mate had the 455 Tabs side console with a 50 Honda. It rode surprisingly well for a little rig, but the 50 worked hard with 3 pob. It was very wet later in the day I fished on it, but in fairness, it turned out a crap day and any open boat would have copped it I think.

tunadog
17-03-2015, 04:22 PM
My Dad had a 455 Tabs Territory centre console with a 75 merc on it. It was a great riding boat very smooth and very stable at rest. I have a 440 quintrex renegade now and i think it handles just as nice in chop and at rest.

thesquidking
18-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.
Angry, I was thinking about buying new but I'm still looking at other possibilities because for the price I'll be paying I'm now thinking about a 5m glass boat.

cheers

Angryant
18-03-2015, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.
Angry, I was thinking about buying new but I'm still looking at other possibilities because for the price I'll be paying I'm now thinking about a 5m glass boat.

cheers

Look at the Southwind, Yalta Craft and Haines Signature boats if you are going used fiberglass boats. I'm sure there are others.
Just my suggestion.

Cheers.

thesquidking
18-03-2015, 07:16 PM
Look at the Southwind, Yalta Craft and Haines Signature boats if you are going used fiberglass boats. I'm sure there are others.
Just my suggestion.

Cheers.

Will do thanks mate

Braddles
18-03-2015, 10:29 PM
G'day Mate!

I have a Tabs Territory Pro 5m Side Console, with all the options, including 4mm plate hull, long range fuel tank, swim platform and ladder, transom door, bait tank, dual batteries, Stainless Rocket Launcher / Targa with custom canopy, deck wash, Custom drive on / off trailer etc etc etc..

One day when I get time I will write "my Story" - but for now to answer your Q"

I am VERY happy with the ride of the boat - esp if you are going WITH the waves - its ride will put many larger boats to shame. Going into waves any bigger than 50cm, you (or your passenger depending on wind) will get wet!! Its no wetter than my previous boat (Seajay 4.5 SC) but a LOT wetter than my mates Haines 5m CC - but its glass and heavier again.

I did a LOT of research (>1yr) leading up to my purchase and test drove a LOT of 5m side console (and CC) boats - and the finish on the TABS was the best. You should see the quality of the welds on a Tabs Vs some of the other popular brands.. very impressive.

I also think they are a sexy looking boat... and I like the casting deck forward with big esky under.

Its not perfect however - the seats are pretty flimsy back rests - and I wouldn't lean back on them.

Speaking of seats - you get 2 from factory and then they wanted nearly $400 for each additional seat (slide version)... I ended up getting them from a boat shop out near Raby Bay for $125each - exact seat with pole and slider. PM me for details if you want... The seat they use - RELAX - has good backing from a state rep who is a really good bloke actually... and will replace any warranty issues for 3 years!

The Perspex screen is cheap / nasty. - Much cheaper boats have classier windshields!

The transom door is on the wrong side IMHO but to be fair this is probably my fault as I am sure I could have specified which side I wanted it on - More I hadn't thought about it / done it before (but left with steering cables etc to step over, and I mostly tie up on Port side, the cut out by default was right side) and the door rattles really loudly due to large amount of play in door when latched closed => solution by tabs was sticky foam tape (which has come off many times).

Mine was still compliance with MAX HP of 90 - which IMHO is adequate for most applications - but the boat could handle more power safely, and to be honest, fully loaded with 5 POB and gear, full fuel tank - hole shot is... well.. not that graceful.. I am not impressed with the HP rating being capped at 90HP after owning it for a year. I have seen "tests" with 115HP and I think this would be ideal - but when I questioned the factory it was "for promo only"... WOT with 2 POB and gear, my 2014 Suzuki 90HP 4 banger gets 68km/hr. I have had the mechanic from Ippy lifestyle centre (TOP guys!!) on board doing tests with various props and lifting the rev limiter to 6800 - but that's about it. Mate who has a MUCH lighter hull but has same HP rating does late 70's with same engine with MUCHbetter hole shot when fully loaded than my boat.

Saying that - I am in LOVE with the Suzuki as an engine - it is so fuel efficient and so quiet - I have tried to start it when its already idling. The black cowling also looks great with the black boat with all the polished stainless :-)

The other issue I had was - it was not a smooth purchase - which had NOTHING to do with Tabs, but it was their dealer - and I made Tabs VERY aware of my issues... My rig was supplied with a trailer that was ILLEGAL for its GVM and too short - it ended up in court, I won of course - but this isn't the crap or stress you need when you buy a new boat. The dealer has shut down thankfully. Be careful where you buy it!!

One month old - and my parents paid for a marina storage for me over Christmas.. Where you call them - they put the boat in the water, and when you are done - take it out. Long story short - they didn't deploy the fenders I had supplied - tied it up to a timber dock and let the boat rub up and down in the swell against the timber for 90mins - rubbed paint back to metal in a line along the port side, with oscillations around the wharf line due to swell.

Back to solicitors - another win - and I elected TABS do the paint job.. Now this is where my opinion of TABS has soured!

Tabs charged $6000 to (not a misprint) to repaint the PORT side of my 5m boat, and buff the Starboard, and new factory decals (a lightening bolt stripe). The marina that caused the damage paid - so I wasn't fussed - I just wanted my new boat back to how it was.

Not a year later, and the nylon grommets that come through the hull (eg anchor well drain, but also used for bilge pump, bait tank outlet etc) have started heavily corroding around where the cut bare surfaces were not properly prepped / resealed on the port side only, where the repaint was done.

I contacted Tabs - and they have denied ANY responsibility, despite expert opinion to the contrary, and wiped their hands. So for a 3rd time, off to solicitors now... this time will be against Tabs. In fact Tabs has suggested it is due to MY lack of maintenance that has resulted in this problem. (Boat has 90hrs in over a year now, flushed, washed, hand dried, ionox all screws / bolts etc, polished, let air out with hatches open until dry, then put away under cover - its cared for like a baby!).

Lucky I have a few lawyers and a barrister in my circles, - or this would cost me a fortune!

I would have thought for this price tag, Tabs would be accepting of the fault, or at least wanted to see it to formulate an appraised opinion - and did the right thing and had it repaired.... but it seems not. Very disappointed in Tabs.

I am less than impressed with their aftersales service, and also the ethics of a $6000 paint job where I suspect corners were cut / job not done to standard, and now don't want to know about it... NOT the response of a boat builder I would be trusting again with my hard earned.

All up, with all customisation (including Stainless rocket launcher from Haines Group, Targa etc) I have spent over 60K now on the boat - and it has been far from trouble free 15 months.

Prior to this corrosion issue, we were going to upgrade to another TABS boat after Easter - but now that has definitely changed.

It is a great boat, I love it, I feel very safe in it in BIG seas, and it looks sexy - but for me, aftersales service and integrity are very important, and for me, I wouldn't buy another Tabs for this reason.

I would HIGHLY rate the trailer it is on though.. After the magistrate ordered the dealer (NOT tabs, the boat dealer that sold Tabs boats) to take back the illegal junk he tried to force me to take - I spoke to Ivan at FMS trailers.... I would never own another trailer.

Ivan is a top bloke to deal with, and will design a custom trailer to fit your boat, with all the bells and whistles you need / want.. He put a folding draw bar on mine, with easy latch thing that I can launch / drive on and secure boat to trailer from the helm essentially..... and after having such a miserable time after delivery of my rig - worked right up to Christmas for me, to get my trailer done so I could use my new boat.. He went above and beyond - and built a great product that is so easy to use. CHeck out Nugget's you tube video of FMS trailers - Nugget himself uses one!

The squidking - if you are local to Southside Brissy - I am happy to show you my boat / have you aboard and you can test it out yourself if you would like.. Just send me a PM and we can organise a squid trip / boat test :-)

Kind regards,

Braddles.

thesquidking
19-03-2015, 12:53 PM
G'day Mate!

I have a Tabs Territory Pro 5m Side Console, with all the options, including 4mm plate hull, long range fuel tank, swim platform and ladder, transom door, bait tank, dual batteries, Stainless Rocket Launcher / Targa with custom canopy, deck wash, Custom drive on / off trailer etc etc etc..

One day when I get time I will write "my Story" - but for now to answer your Q"

I am VERY happy with the ride of the boat - esp if you are going WITH the waves - its ride will put many larger boats to shame. Going into waves any bigger than 50cm, you (or your passenger depending on wind) will get wet!! Its no wetter than my previous boat (Seajay 4.5 SC) but a LOT wetter than my mates Haines 5m CC - but its glass and heavier again.

I did a LOT of research (>1yr) leading up to my purchase and test drove a LOT of 5m side console (and CC) boats - and the finish on the TABS was the best. You should see the quality of the welds on a Tabs Vs some of the other popular brands.. very impressive.

I also think they are a sexy looking boat... and I like the casting deck forward with big esky under.

Its not perfect however - the seats are pretty flimsy back rests - and I wouldn't lean back on them.

Speaking of seats - you get 2 from factory and then they wanted nearly $400 for each additional seat (slide version)... I ended up getting them from a boat shop out near Raby Bay for $125each - exact seat with pole and slider. PM me for details if you want... The seat they use - RELAX - has good backing from a state rep who is a really good bloke actually... and will replace any warranty issues for 3 years!

The Perspex screen is cheap / nasty. - Much cheaper boats have classier windshields!

The transom door is on the wrong side IMHO but to be fair this is probably my fault as I am sure I could have specified which side I wanted it on - More I hadn't thought about it / done it before (but left with steering cables etc to step over, and I mostly tie up on Port side, the cut out by default was right side) and the door rattles really loudly due to large amount of play in door when latched closed => solution by tabs was sticky foam tape (which has come off many times).

Mine was still compliance with MAX HP of 90 - which IMHO is adequate for most applications - but the boat could handle more power safely, and to be honest, fully loaded with 5 POB and gear, full fuel tank - hole shot is... well.. not that graceful.. I am not impressed with the HP rating being capped at 90HP after owning it for a year. I have seen "tests" with 115HP and I think this would be ideal - but when I questioned the factory it was "for promo only"... WOT with 2 POB and gear, my 2014 Suzuki 90HP 4 banger gets 68km/hr. I have had the mechanic from Ippy lifestyle centre (TOP guys!!) on board doing tests with various props and lifting the rev limiter to 6800 - but that's about it. Mate who has a MUCH lighter hull but has same HP rating does late 70's with same engine with MUCHbetter hole shot when fully loaded than my boat.

Saying that - I am in LOVE with the Suzuki as an engine - it is so fuel efficient and so quiet - I have tried to start it when its already idling. The black cowling also looks great with the black boat with all the polished stainless :-)

The other issue I had was - it was not a smooth purchase - which had NOTHING to do with Tabs, but it was their dealer - and I made Tabs VERY aware of my issues... My rig was supplied with a trailer that was ILLEGAL for its GVM and too short - it ended up in court, I won of course - but this isn't the crap or stress you need when you buy a new boat. The dealer has shut down thankfully. Be careful where you buy it!!

One month old - and my parents paid for a marina storage for me over Christmas.. Where you call them - they put the boat in the water, and when you are done - take it out. Long story short - they didn't deploy the fenders I had supplied - tied it up to a timber dock and let the boat rub up and down in the swell against the timber for 90mins - rubbed paint back to metal in a line along the port side, with oscillations around the wharf line due to swell.

Back to solicitors - another win - and I elected TABS do the paint job.. Now this is where my opinion of TABS has soured!

Tabs charged $6000 to (not a misprint) to repaint the PORT side of my 5m boat, and buff the Starboard, and new factory decals (a lightening bolt stripe). The marina that caused the damage paid - so I wasn't fussed - I just wanted my new boat back to how it was.

Not a year later, and the nylon grommets that come through the hull (eg anchor well drain, but also used for bilge pump, bait tank outlet etc) have started heavily corroding around where the cut bare surfaces were not properly prepped / resealed on the port side only, where the repaint was done.

I contacted Tabs - and they have denied ANY responsibility, despite expert opinion to the contrary, and wiped their hands. So for a 3rd time, off to solicitors now... this time will be against Tabs. In fact Tabs has suggested it is due to MY lack of maintenance that has resulted in this problem. (Boat has 90hrs in over a year now, flushed, washed, hand dried, ionox all screws / bolts etc, polished, let air out with hatches open until dry, then put away under cover - its cared for like a baby!).

Lucky I have a few lawyers and a barrister in my circles, - or this would cost me a fortune!

I would have thought for this price tag, Tabs would be accepting of the fault, or at least wanted to see it to formulate an appraised opinion - and did the right thing and had it repaired.... but it seems not. Very disappointed in Tabs.

I am less than impressed with their aftersales service, and also the ethics of a $6000 paint job where I suspect corners were cut / job not done to standard, and now don't want to know about it... NOT the response of a boat builder I would be trusting again with my hard earned.

All up, with all customisation (including Stainless rocket launcher from Haines Group, Targa etc) I have spent over 60K now on the boat - and it has been far from trouble free 15 months.

Prior to this corrosion issue, we were going to upgrade to another TABS boat after Easter - but now that has definitely changed.

It is a great boat, I love it, I feel very safe in it in BIG seas, and it looks sexy - but for me, aftersales service and integrity are very important, and for me, I wouldn't buy another Tabs for this reason.

I would HIGHLY rate the trailer it is on though.. After the magistrate ordered the dealer (NOT tabs, the boat dealer that sold Tabs boats) to take back the illegal junk he tried to force me to take - I spoke to Ivan at FMS trailers.... I would never own another trailer.

Ivan is a top bloke to deal with, and will design a custom trailer to fit your boat, with all the bells and whistles you need / want.. He put a folding draw bar on mine, with easy latch thing that I can launch / drive on and secure boat to trailer from the helm essentially..... and after having such a miserable time after delivery of my rig - worked right up to Christmas for me, to get my trailer done so I could use my new boat.. He went above and beyond - and built a great product that is so easy to use. CHeck out Nugget's you tube video of FMS trailers - Nugget himself uses one!

The squidking - if you are local to Southside Brissy - I am happy to show you my boat / have you aboard and you can test it out yourself if you would like.. Just send me a PM and we can organise a squid trip / boat test :-)

Kind regards,

Braddles.

Braddles
thank you for the very informative reply I appreciate it. I'm from Sydney otherwise I would of jumped at the chance to jump on board and seen your boat.
I agree they are a great looking boat but I rarely see any on the water down my way. I'm still looking at what's the best option for me at the moment but I keep changing my mind on a daily basis.

thanks again

Noelm
23-03-2015, 07:00 AM
Never been a huge fan of the weld quality of all the TABS I have looked at, most welds that are in sight are OK, but ones that are less visible have been pretty ordinary to my untrained eye.