PDA

View Full Version : More on little gas cookers

Chimo
13-03-2015, 05:14 PM
http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/content/news/2015/banned-unsafe-butane-stoves-49759

Dan5
13-03-2015, 05:26 PM
I bought Primus ones cause I thought I may have gotten a better quality unit.........Nup........Primus used to be a good brand years ago....

Dan

stockhorse
13-03-2015, 07:03 PM
The recommendation of returning cookers if you have proof of purchase is totally bogus as the cookers at the time had Compliance certification and were sold legally. Unless fair trading is going to compensate the retailer for all returned cookers and all cookers currently in stock plus loss of profit from sales they are simply blowing smoke.

The cookers will be back on the shelves within 6 months with minor changes and kits to make old cookers compliant.

Still_Dreamin
13-03-2015, 08:04 PM
Used mine tonight. Didn't explode cylinder didn't get hot. Just followed the instructions ie no oversized pans/woks/grill plates. Still have 10 canisters. Hopefully this load of bs is sorted before I run out. As someone has on their signature, if you make something fool proof than you will find a bigger fool. Or words to that effect. Let Darwinism take its course and let the rest of us get on with life.

NTMID8
13-03-2015, 08:38 PM
They have said if you purchased a cooker that was NON compliant then you can return them with a proof of purchase

stockhorse
13-03-2015, 08:58 PM
They have said if you purchased a cooker that was NON compliant then you can return them with a proof of purchase

At the time of sale it would have been compliant, the fact it isn't now is not down to the retailer.

To clarify this situation they should release a list of cookers that were never compliant at any time. then you would have grounds for a refund from the seller.

Feral
13-03-2015, 09:30 PM
They will have to pry mine from my cold dead fingers! (they might be slightly charred)

I note the "exploded" one on the NSW notice has the cover upside down. None of mine will engage the cylinder with the lid top like that - so you can not light it when it is not turned right way up.

tjotter
15-03-2015, 09:43 AM
A question [as no longer have instructions].
If a cylinder was half used and then cooker was being transported,
have people been dis-engaging cylinder
or travelling with cylinder still engaged ?

scottar
15-03-2015, 09:50 AM
Mine is disengaged the minute I finish cooking - just the same as the gas bottle is turned off on a larger BBQ.

stockhorse
15-03-2015, 10:37 AM
Mine is disengaged the minute I finish cooking - just the same as the gas bottle is turned off on a larger BBQ.

X2 on scottar's post

ozynorts
15-03-2015, 10:52 AM
To clarify this situation they should release a list of cookers that were never compliant at any time. then you would have grounds for a refund from the seller.

Something like this.
https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/safety-and-health/alerts-bulletins-search/alerts-bulletins/petroleum-gas/butane-gas-cookers

ericcs
15-03-2015, 12:20 PM
i bought a twin burner($29) and a dozen canisters($4.50 for 4) from kmart a couple of days ago. i was expecting to have been taken off the shelves, so was pleasantly surprised!

stockhorse
15-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Something like this.
https://www.dnrm.qld.gov.au/mining/safety-and-health/alerts-bulletins-search/alerts-bulletins/petroleum-gas/butane-gas-cookers

"Non-compliance with Australian standards has resulted in approvals for a number of models being suspended or cancelled."

They have a list of models that have had approvals suspended or cancelled but no list of ones that have never had approval but they know have been sold.

mattooty
15-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Stockhorse, just because something was sold does not mean it was compliant at the time. A lot of companies were selling them without doing research and as such were selling non-compliant gas vessels. Butane cooker or BBQ cooker, if it's non compliant and it's sold, then you're within your rights to request a refund with proof of purchase.

mattooty
15-03-2015, 04:58 PM

The photo used in the original link is in a lab AFTER the incident. The lid has obviously just been put on because it fits that way for the purpose of a photo.

NTMID8
16-03-2015, 11:57 PM
Crazy thing is i used mine last night and i have more hassles with the cannisters running so cold they freeze rather than getting hot

stockhorse
17-03-2015, 02:11 AM
Stockhorse, just because something was sold does not mean it was compliant at the time. A lot of companies were selling them without doing research and as such were selling non-compliant gas vessels. Butane cooker or BBQ cooker, if it's non compliant and it's sold, then you're within your rights to request a refund with proof of purchase.

Isn't that what i said here?

At the time of sale it would have been compliant, the fact it isn't now is not down to the retailer.

tjotter
23-03-2015, 12:19 PM
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/About_us/News_and_events/Media_releases/2015_media_releases/20150312_reminder_on_dangers_of_portable.page

“While they have not been recalled, under the consumer guarantee provisions of the Australian Consumer Law consumers are entitled to obtain a refund if they can show proof of purchase and can return the cookers in good condition, particularly for cookers bought recently.

bazza65
23-03-2015, 04:41 PM
I have a single burner and a twin burner, both are going in the bin.
I am not prepared to take the risk of injuring myself or my family when we are miles from help in the bush or on an island.
bazza

captain rednut
23-03-2015, 08:17 PM
I read this post when it started with interest and never thought any more about it until i was sitting at tangalooma in my boat the other night with a couple of mates and only just told them the story about the product recall in NSW and then decided to boil the kettle and the gas cylinder erupted in flames after a few minutes and i quickly put it out so mine went straight over the back as im very lucky things didn't get worse.
JIM

stockhorse
24-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Rednut ,can you tell us how it "erupted in flames" ? Where did the flames come from ?

Any body around Brisbane that is going to dump theirs, could you let me know and perhaps let me collect it from you. I want to look at the difference between makes and models and the canister locking devices.
Thanks.

Crunchy
24-03-2015, 10:44 AM
I have made the decision to chuck mine so your welcome to it + 3 spare canisters. Pick up from Hendra if you want it.

captain rednut
24-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Rednut ,can you tell us how it "erupted in flames" ? Where did the flames come from ?

Any body around Brisbane that is going to dump theirs, could you let me know and perhaps let me collect it from you. I want to look at the difference between makes and models and the canister locking devices.
Thanks.The flame jumped across to the gas bottle as it was obviously leaking around the seal??? it was a fairly new unit.

gofishin
24-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Glad you came out of it ok Jim!
Cheers
Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky 1
24-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Tried taking mine back today (not one of the big chains) for a refund (I bought it a few months ago and never cooked with it yet) and the the guy talked me out of it. Maybe I am too soft, but the guy insisted it is safe, if it is used properly. I am going to use an entire canister to boil a large pot of water and see how it goes. I will always carry that element of doubt however and the stakes are always higher when out in the water. Maybe it looks like I am back to cold baked beans again :)

bluefin59
25-03-2015, 06:03 AM

Thanks.
I have one with 4 cylinders you can have as well otherwise mines going to the tip I can't be bothered with the risk involved ,PM me for an address suburb is Carseldine ..matt

bannana
25-03-2015, 08:00 AM
Likewise mine are heading to the tip. 2x singles and 1 double burner and canisters. Even if there's a .1% chance of a problem then it's not worth the risk....especially when your out at sea or remote camping with your family.

billyo
25-03-2015, 08:07 PM
I suppose there is a element of risk with everything we do. I have been using these things for well over 10 years and not had a problem. I do disengage the canister when finished. I will continue to use mine as I have always done because what is the alternative. Use a LPG bottle which if used in correctly, also has risks.

bazza65
26-03-2015, 03:46 PM
I will go back to using a gas bottle and two burner stove.
The difference will be I will not be heating the gas bottle when in use.

TheRealAndy
26-03-2015, 08:01 PM
I see people at the markets using them for commercial use, so they cant be that bad.

As for metho stoves, well I grew up with them on yachts and I have seen more fires and burns from them than any other stove. The things are far more dangerous than the cheap butane cookers in my opinion. I even had one catch fire on my boat once.

sandbank pete
27-03-2015, 11:13 AM
I've got a Gasmate PC1070 (which is on the list) I've used it to boil the kettle on the boat over the last 5 years or so without a problem.
looks like its going to the tip and I'll invest in a nice new thermos..

deckie
28-03-2015, 03:36 AM
I dont have the luxury of choice unfortunately....as my stomach rules my brain.
If the boat catches fire i'd probably be torn between finishing my fresh whiting fillets or jumping overboard.

Lucky 1
28-03-2015, 08:50 PM
What about one of these single burner duel fuel stoves as an alternative?

http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/product/dual-fuel-sportster-ii-stove/1217545?contextCategory=0601#.VRaGeo4YG70

They burn pretty hot (so no problem those cold mornings.) The only thing holding me back is that the flame doesn't go out immediately when you turn them off, which may be an issue if some rsole in a big riviera comes screaming past you whilst you are cooking. ( Nothing personal against Riviera drivers, maritmo drivers can be rsoles too :))

mattooty
29-03-2015, 12:53 AM
Isn't that what i said here?

Nope, you've said that it was compliant at the time of sale, of which I'm saying that they were not. They do not have a safety venting mechanism which all pressurised vessels under Australian Standards must have. Once authorities were made aware of this they acted hard and fast by shutting the show down. It will be interesting to see what comes of it, how fast an alternative is developed or where this goes in the future.

mattooty
29-03-2015, 12:55 AM
I should say, what I can see happening is the same type of stove but rather than have the inbuilt canister in the cooker there will be a hose line with a clamp that allows the canisters to be situated a distance away from the heated stove parts.

SHOOTER1
29-03-2015, 07:17 AM
Interesting that some dble cylinder types are still on the market. Essentially the same design. I"v been using mine to melt lead for sinkers might rethink that one!!

bazza65
29-03-2015, 11:05 AM
I dont have the luxury of choice unfortunately....as my stomach rules my brain.
If the boat catches fire i'd probably be torn between finishing my fresh whiting fillets or jumping overboard.
Mate it is not the fire you have to worry about the problem is when the cylinder explodes like a hand grenade.
My family is more valuable than a gas stove.

cormorant
31-03-2015, 11:31 PM
What about one of these single burner duel fuel stoves as an alternative?

http://www.colemanaustralia.com.au/product/dual-fuel-sportster-ii-stove/1217545?contextCategory=0601#.VRaGeo4YG70

They burn pretty hot (so no problem those cold mornings.) The only thing holding me back is that the flame doesn't go out immediately when you turn them off, which may be an issue if some rsole in a big riviera comes screaming past you whilst you are cooking. ( Nothing personal against Riviera drivers, maritmo drivers can be rsoles too :))

have owned and hiked with one and the lantern for 30 years and run on all sorts of fuel. on a boat you'd need a better stable feet and way to keep pot or pan on top. safe when someone with a brain uses em . hotdogs , beans in a original alladin thermos for me as no flame on the little boat and elec kettle for noodles .

Just_chips
01-04-2015, 01:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDIWMp3cIPM

Chimo
01-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Ar So But Not on mY Boatee even with CRV MAX!!!

Thanks Just Chippee

rayken1938
01-04-2015, 04:47 PM
looks like a replacement is coming on the market a little dearer but worth it for the safety. Seen them in one place for 35 bucks
Cheers
Ray

Oztrail Anywhere Stove (OGP-BCS-A)
Camping Outdoors Compact & Lightweight

The Anywhere Stove is totally portable, complete with its own carry case and runs on a replaceable butane cartridge. The Anywhere Stove has many uses, Camping, Boating, Picnics, Table top cooking or as a standby stove for electrical blackouts.

• Piezo ignition; no matches or lighters required
• Pressure sensitive safety governor system
• Lightweight, compact and sturdy
• Variable heat control
• Flame is shielded from the wind to ensure the burner remains alight
• Includes its own carry case making the stove easily portable
• Runs on one replaceable butane cartridge (not included), which will last up to 90mins on the maximum
• setting

StevenM
01-04-2015, 06:30 PM
looks like a replacement is coming on the market a little dearer but worth it for the safety. Seen them in one place for 35 bucks
Cheers
Ray

Oztrail Anywhere Stove (OGP-BCS-A)
Camping Outdoors Compact & Lightweight

The Anywhere Stove is totally portable, complete with its own carry case and runs on a replaceable butane cartridge. The Anywhere Stove has many uses, Camping, Boating, Picnics, Table top cooking or as a standby stove for electrical blackouts.

• Piezo ignition; no matches or lighters required
• Pressure sensitive safety governor system
• Lightweight, compact and sturdy
• Variable heat control
• Flame is shielded from the wind to ensure the burner remains alight
• Includes its own carry case making the stove easily portable
• Runs on one replaceable butane cartridge (not included), which will last up to 90mins on the maximum
• setting

Looks no different to the one I have and the price is allready being discounted

http://www.tentworld.com.au/products/cooking/item/oztrail-anywhere-cartridge-stove.aspx

rayken1938
01-04-2015, 06:55 PM
According to tentworld website they are not available.
Is yours actually a ogp bcs b model as that model does not appear on the suspended from sale list
Does yours have the pressure safety governor?
Cheers
Ray

StevenM
01-04-2015, 08:03 PM
No idea Ray

creat
02-04-2015, 07:10 AM
The only cartridges supercheap sell are CRV ones, did the explosions happen from crv cartriges or non-crv cartriges.?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Campmaster-Butane-Cartridge-220g-4-Pack.aspx?pid=213539#Recommendations

rayken1938
05-04-2015, 07:43 AM
I ended up writing to oztrail and here is part of their reply.
Hi Ray

The model of stove that you have quoted was withdrawn from sale on the 26th of Feb this year after the AGA (gas regulating body) suspended the certification for all cassette stoves, since that point in time we are still yet to receive any further advice from the regulating bodies. To be clear though, we were advised was to suspend them from sale, it was not a product recall. However since that time certain state fair trading bodies (NSW and WA) have issued notices informing consumers to suspend use of these products altogether. As this is a safety issue we would advise to suspend use of the product at this point in time until further information becomes available.

Regards,

Stephen Holland
National Sales Manager.

They have contacted the 2 retailers who were still selling them and the ads have been withdrawn from gumtree and ebay.