PDA

View Full Version : NSW Rego Boat + Trailer With a Catch

gazza2006au
12-03-2015, 05:25 PM
hey guys anyone else here from NSW? i just bought a little tinny and old mate owned it from new with a 4hp engine so legally he has never needed to register it (boat is from the 1970's) so on the receipt there is no BIN or Rego number and no maritime asigned serial number

now the trailer came with a number plate that was last registered in 2006 yes 9 years out of rego now i cant find a serial number stamped on the draw bar of this home made trailer, so on the receipt was just put down as "sold with trailer"

now seeing my receipt the boat + trailer were sold with no BIN,VIN,REGO numbers as none present, how do i manage to register both?

i know the process if i had identification on the boat and trailer but without im lost..

mitc69
13-03-2015, 02:17 PM
try to find the plate, usally on the boat, otherwise just goto junk yard and rip one out, i remember NT dont have boat rego too so if some1 from there might be able to help u, but i personally just find a plate off a junk yard similar to your own boat and rego it... otherwise there a legal form from transport department that u can grab and fillout and take it in for a survey and if it deem fit they gen u a new VIN.. just like building a new boat.. but cost more that way... http://www.anzsbeg.com.au/ might help u, but i tell u it cost more then a junk yard lol

Noelm
13-03-2015, 02:39 PM
is there anything on the rego papers if the previous owner had them? if not, it requires a blue slip, and it is stated as "home made" unless there is a brand name on the trailer somewhere, you will need to have it weighed before you go for a blue slip.

Noelm
13-03-2015, 02:40 PM
OH, and the boat is simple, just go to any dealer and get a 'boat code" done, they provide the plate with the details on it.

shaungonemad
13-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Get the engraver out and put some numbers on it most of it would be so they can match the rego with the vessel/trailer just so you cant swap plates and stickers between other boats and trailers.

gazza2006au
13-03-2015, 04:48 PM
thanks for the replies guys much appreciated, i contacted a unregistered vechile inspection station (just a random mechanic who does inspections) and he said back in the 70's and 80's most home made trailers never had VIN numbers so he said all i need to do is take the trailer in for a rego check (blue slip) he'll get the new VIN from the RMS and stamp it on the trailer all i have to do is show him my receipt saying i bought x trailer from so and so without a VIN or number plate and its all good

as for the boat old mate just passed away and i bought the boat/trailer off his daughter who was selling hes belongings so it doesnt come with rego papers also the trailer has been out of rego for 9 years that is if the number plate on the trailer is indeed for that trailer (no VIN to verify) so its a new rego job

also the mechanic said its a lucky dip who gets pulled up for a forensic inspection at the police station he mentioned the last home made trailer he passed for a blue slip never had to do the test so heres hopping mine doesnt as it'll just be a pain in the ass, thats NSW for ya i guess

oldie
14-03-2015, 02:57 PM
trailer, you will need a weigh bridge certificate for it, local tips usually can offer this service, then that establishes a tare weight for your blue slip guy who will also issue the VIN

Boat wise is easy take it down to local boat code agent HIN Certificate with your receipt of purchase and NSW drivers licence and they will issue you a HIN number for it

thats pretty much the process

gazza2006au
14-03-2015, 07:43 PM
thanks oldie, i havent registered a unregistered or no BIN boat before so ill soon see how it goes