PDA

View Full Version : Rotten Transom

Robg
09-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Well I was cleaning the boat yesterday and noticed a small piece of timber in the drain plug. Looked a little further and after removing the housing for the drain plug I have found the transom has a cavity which is full of rotten ply. It seems that when the boat was built, a hole was drilled for the drain plug and a bit of sealant was slapped in leaving bare timber exposed. I just cant believe a modern boat is finished this way. We have had the boat since new and it has always been stored out of the weather. The boat is just under 9 years old. As you can imagine I was just a little pissed off after finding this yesterday.

So for all the Haines Hunter owners on here, it is probably worth removing the drain plug and checking the not so quality workmanship.

So an recommendations on someone who can give me a quote to have this repaired.

Noelm
09-03-2015, 12:32 PM
I guess you need to investigate just how large an area is in question, it might be just a bit around the bung, but of course, it might not too.

Fish Face
09-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Hey Rob.
That sucks mate. Give the guys at Bonito Boats a call. I know they have done a few transom jobs on HH's as well as others.
They do good work. Call Martin 0146 099 908...

odes20
09-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Its a shock I know. But I have replaced transoms in a lot of big name boats. Makes you wonder about whats under the floor as well.

When in comes to water ingress you can never be too fussy. Hopefully its just around the bung. Even if it is a bit soft there, it will take a lots of years to affect the structural integrity of the overall transom.

johnverano
13-03-2015, 09:45 PM
oh please dont get me started on haines hunter transome repairs mine took me a very long time and cost me a small fortune
good luck with it ,HH has alot to answer for in bad finishing of their boats, on mine it was glass blocking drain plugs in the cabin from lazy chop glass spraying and aluiminium cap over un sealed ply with srews straight into the ply but i rebuilt my boat because they are a great riding hull

Marlin_Mike
14-03-2015, 06:20 AM
Only place I know is arnolds fibreglass at Hemmant

Moonlighter
14-03-2015, 01:23 PM
I gather that Haines Signature also do this type of work now. Worth a call?

SummerTrance
14-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Thats crap. You dont expect that after nine years. Im considering a new boat and my budget would have me looking at 10-15 year old boats. Just dont know if I can risk going fibreglass again, after getting burnt with my current boat. (rotten stringers after being told stringers had been replaced with the new floor)

Rip it up
14-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Timber rot can happen very quickly is water is left inside a sealed area to "sweat" the timber will absorb it deep into the layers.

Freshwater often rots out timber faster than salt. So check that rainwater can not find a way into a boat and sit for longer periods of time.

I know not all of us can house a boat in a shed or garage permanently. It's a luxury that few can afford.

So keep the flats as dry as possible and store with all bungs out including floor hatches and storage areas.

Park with the nose high to allow drainage.

Check and reseal the bung areas regularly. Never allow bare timber to contact water. Always resin/Gelcoat any screw holes or bungs into timber.

I agree that haines should know better. But production costs contribute to sale prices getting higher than a competitor and boats don't sell.

It's and evil balancing act.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.

smokin joe
31-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Cruisecraft built dodgy transoms back around 2005 on, too thin for the power they were rated for especially on the 685 so if you buy one check the thickness.Have had mine replaced by arnolds,its a weapon now.I think haines has bought out cc now .all boats have there issues but some thing are pretty hard to swallow. I don't have room for undercover parking and used a tarp at start but when it rained it always smelt damp inside,replaced with a fitted breathable cover which always smells dry in all conditions,well worth it.

hainsofast
31-03-2015, 05:34 PM
haines signature different company now mate, HH out of melb, sig out of wacol

sandbank pete
31-03-2015, 08:37 PM
I've got a 30 year old Savage that I had to replace the transom and that was done by Lee at Northside Fibreglass. He also fixed the floor in my son's runabout and did some redesign work on my nephew's Mustang. If you're interested, Lee's number is 0405 309 044.

Robg
01-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Thanks all for the info. I have had a couple of quotes for the repair but at them moment I dont have the spare cash. There is very little visible flex , if any, in the transom at the moment so I guess I just keep using it till I can afford the repair. Its not like using the boat will make things worse. I did think about tackling this myself but I am not confident in the finish I would be able to achieve.

I had also heard fresh water is the main culprit where rot is concerned. Years ago my Dad built 30 ft Hartley which was moored and that had a couple of spots of rot where the rainwater crept through the screws used to mount hand rails to the roof.

fisho64
01-04-2015, 09:55 PM
.I think haines has bought out cc now

Have they? Havent heard that before?

GBC
02-04-2015, 05:43 AM
Have they? Havent heard that before?

He'd be thinking of seafarer I'd guess