PDA

View Full Version : Ever caught one of these in your crab pot?

back2boats
05-03-2015, 09:02 AM

A huge red hermit crab in a baler shell. It is a wonder he got in through the hole.

Also got one of these

Happily I got plenty of sandcrabs as well :)

Still_Dreamin
05-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Yep had plenty of wobbigongs in my pots. Especially over Tangalooma way. Also caught some nice cod when doing overnight soaks for muddies. No hermit crabs though

Rodman
05-03-2015, 11:48 AM
I have got a 10kg estuary cod in my pot. I struggled to get the pot on board.

back2boats
05-03-2015, 12:00 PM
Wouldn't mind something edible like a cod. I suppose the hermit was edible, but didn't want to kill him. I released him after a photo session. :)

Moonlighter
05-03-2015, 12:34 PM
Yo have got to be careful with this e Wobbies too. They can turn in their own length just about, and bite the hand that has them by the tail!

kingcray
05-03-2015, 12:56 PM
a few months ago we left 8 pots out o/night at woody point, checked in morning for 6 pots with wobbes, 1 pots had 2 of them in it. Always get the odd one in overnight soaks. Cod, occies, toads, flatties, bream also in the past
Cool crab by the way, where did you catch him

back2boats
05-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Yo have got to be careful with this e Wobbies too. They can turn in their own length just about, and bite the hand that has them by the tail!

Yes they can certainly twist about. Just as well they have sandpapery skin so you can get a good grip on them. If he was much bigger, I wouldn't have picked him up at all.

back2boats
05-03-2015, 02:56 PM
a few months ago we left 8 pots out o/night at woody point, checked in morning for 6 pots with wobbes, 1 pots had 2 of them in it. Always get the odd one in overnight soaks. Cod, occies, toads, flatties, bream also in the past
Cool crab by the way, where did you catch him

Off Cleveland. I also get leatherjackets in the pots at times.

petelaska
05-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Caught an xl large woby in a collapsible pot at woody point once, It was that big and heavy took me ages to get him out through the hole at the bottom. I couldn't turn its head, nearly had to do a cut the net as the thieves do. I don't know how it managed to get in there to start with, but very vigorously shook it out in the end lucky it landed in the water.

The Black Unicorn
06-03-2015, 01:51 PM
The tail of those Hermit crabs are the best bait for drummer bar none.

marto78
06-03-2015, 03:25 PM
We got a hermit crab about half the size of yours just before xmas in the middle of the bay as well 3 spots, a baby spanner crab, some other mangy looking crab we couldn't identify and loads of jennies and under sized sandies. We would have pulled over 100 crabs out of 8 pots on a over night soak for 1 keeper sandy.

sharkymark2
06-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Brother in law got a 900m cod in a 900mm pot at the drop off at the Hanlen Light. He had spewed up 2 x 1 kilo bream to get in. the bream were all scaled. Took a photo of it somewhere.

back2boats
06-03-2015, 09:03 PM
We got a hermit crab about half the size of yours just before xmas in the middle of the bay as well 3 spots, a baby spanner crab, some other mangy looking crab we couldn't identify and loads of jennies and under sized sandies. We would have pulled over 100 crabs out of 8 pots on a over night soak for 1 keeper sandy.

I had troubles getting legal sized sandcrabs when I first bought my tinny. Very happy to get a good feed this time though. Even so, sorting out the trash could get old very quickly I suspect.

Dignity
10-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Not got a hermit crab yet, biggest item was a 10kg bull shark, we can't figure out how he got in as he was welland truly curled up in the pot.

back2boats
10-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Not got a hermit crab yet, biggest item was a 10kg bull shark, we can't figure out how he got in as he was welland truly curled up in the pot.

Must have been fun to get out.