PDA

View Full Version : Kevlacat 1990 and earlier

bachoau
03-03-2015, 07:42 PM
I am looking at few kevlacats 1990 1988 is there anything I should look for in the hull. Do they have any floor or bulk head problems?

Casey Ison
03-03-2015, 07:55 PM
I would be checking the floor over good I know a bloke that got one and the floor has a bit of dry rot in areas need replacing.

cheers.

bachoau
03-03-2015, 08:03 PM
What's the best way to check the floor casey?

oldie
03-03-2015, 08:14 PM
just get up in there and walk over the floor putting a bit more pressure down on areas of high traffic or potential wet area i.e where self tappers hold in seat bases and fittings, you would soon feel any flex or spongey-ness in the floor

oxygen
04-03-2015, 06:44 AM
What model are you after, 5.2 or 6.2

Casey Ison
04-03-2015, 08:19 PM
yeah mate as oldie said just walk around it theres not a lot you can do to check it other then that and I would do it in bare feet u can feel movement more. and check around the glassed in seat boxes his had a couple of cracks which let fresh water get it in and rot it out around them . his also has inspect ports on the rear deck which were obviously not sealed properly... if it has those definitely open and put your hands up under the floor you will feel it straight up if its buggered mate.
this was in a 6.2 model but im assuming all the older models will have the same timber floor as did all old boats.

cheers

lembo
04-03-2015, 09:03 PM
some kevlacats have a hatch under the front beds, look in that and look for separation/cracks of the hull sides, there also maybe a spin out port at the bottom of the hatch look in that and also inside at the back where the 2 spin out hatches are on the deck. look for water and also brown dirty smelly water as this is a good sign for any wet rot in timber. and also check where bolts from pods go through transom. also in hatch under the beds the back wall of that hatch you might be able to get an inspection camera between top of that wall and underside of floor to see the bulkhead behind it. that's what i done in my kc 5.2 may be different for a 6.2.
and yes dig your heel around the deck for soft spots, open every hatch you find and where anything bolts through fibreglass. there a great boat with excellent build quality. but any fibreglass boat can have damage. also whatever you find may be an easy fix but a good bargaining point on the sale.
good luck.

bachoau
05-03-2015, 05:58 AM
Thanks for all the info i am looking at both 5.2 and 6.2

oxygen
05-03-2015, 07:38 AM
bachoau
I've sent you a PM