PDA

View Full Version : Barcrusher bow heavy

SHOOTER1
08-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Been watching a thread on another forum but not a member so thought I'd post here.Bought a Barcrusher 610xs a few years ago (rear centre console). Love the boat but was a tad wet. Did the research re motor height etc everything seemed set up correctly. Just wouldn't kick the nose up with trim sufficently without cavitating. Boat runs a 125 opti and has tabs. Spoke to service guys and suggested dropping the motor down a peg and was told Barcrushers run flat in the water and seemed hesitant to do it. So after a pizling one day coming back from the reef deided to just do it. Dropped it down 2 holes. Result totally different boat. Kicks the nose up much drier ride and no impact on performance if anything slightly better. My theory is leg a bit deeper so can get more angle on trim up therefore kicking nose higher this results in less hull in the water therefore less drag. If I want the transom up higher use the tabs . Couldn't be happier with the result and wished I would have done it earlier.
Cavitation plate still runs at the right height so only positives.

Moonlighter
08-02-2015, 11:15 AM
Good work Shooter.

So the cav plate is still above or skimming the surface at a fast cruise speed, then?

And, the change didn't induce any porpoising?

SHOOTER1
08-02-2015, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the response moonlighter. Cav plate seems to be running at the right height and am getting wot. Will porpoise if I trim out too far but thats how it should be. Before dropping no way would it porpoise just would cavitate. Haven't noticed any negatives yet only positives. Thought this post might help fellow ausfishers.

Fed
09-02-2015, 08:14 AM
I had the same 'running flat' problem Shooter and almost solved it by adding & shifting weight to the back.

I'd like a little more lift but can't go your way as my AV plate is already at the bottom of the hull. (Have to buy a 4 stroke HaHaHa)

Did you notice any steering difference when trimmed out at speed on flat water compared to the higher motor position?

FWIW I've always put my flat running down to hull shape rather than over weight at the front. (Fine entry, no shoulders and a fat arse)

One Day
09-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Shooter I have an older 560xs (now badged the 610xs) with 115HP Yamaha and found the prop cavitated a bit when trimming out to get the nose up. Found the issue to be the clever style prop which comes standard with the yamaha as it has no cupping to grip the water. Changed to a Solas 4 blade (dropped the pitch) which solved all cavitation and also provided a lot more lift to the hull and more torque (no slowing down or loss of revs when hitting large swells). Made a significant difference and glad we took the plunge on the four blade. Lost 1 - 2 knots at WOT which doesn't bother me at all as the benefits greatly outweigh the loss in top end. I played with dropping the engine height when we had the original prop too but found the 4 blade prop had far better performance. Hope this info helps.

SHOOTER1
12-02-2015, 09:40 PM
[QUOTE=Fed;1579190]I had the same 'running flat' problem Shooter and almost solved it by adding & shifting weight to the back.

I'd like a little more lift but can't go your way as my AV plate is already at the bottom of the hull. (Have to buy a 4 stroke HaHaHa)

Did you notice any steering difference when trimmed out at speed on flat water compared to the higher motor position?
Thought about the 4 stroke option but couldn't get the expenditure through the senate. Haven't noticed any steering issues.