PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Gen2 Advice please (HDS8 model but after some other general info as well)

quobbarockhopper
08-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Hi all

Am looking at picking up a 2nd hand HDS8 Gen 2 (GPS only, not the combo) and was hoping someone with the same/ another HDS gen2 could help me with some information please:

- What type of Navionics cards will a gen2 accept? I have an older card on my existing hummingbird 786c (which is being upgraded) and was hoping this would work in the HDS unit?

- The main reasons Im looking at updating is because the hummingbird 786 is very slow at updating and I find it hard to accurately drop on spots as a result,especially out deep and the small screen size means Im constantly zooming in and out when travelling/ hitting spots. Theres a few seconds lag between updating position. Can anyone tell me from their experience what the update time is like on the HDS gen2s with just the internal ariel? I see there is an add on LGC-4000 high-speed GPS receiver arial available but think this might be overkill for my recreational needs?

- The unit Im looking at buying comes with the bracket, power cord, cover and manuals. Is there any other components (besides the nav card) that I should be getting as well that might be missing?

Cheers for any advice in advance guys, I know theres a heaps of questions but any helpwould be great

Anthony

Moonlighter
08-02-2015, 11:21 AM
I don't believe the 'Bird card will work, I suspect that this will be because of the different software running the bird vs the Lowrance.

You might be able to contact NAVIONICS and see if they will do a swap for you, or at least ask them the question.

scottar
08-02-2015, 11:39 AM
My bird and lowrance products all use Navionics Gold charting. The Lowrance may accept platinum as well but from what I remember of it the advantages were not worth the extra coin apart from a few specific markets. The chart cards are generic provided they are the correct series - classic, gold or platinum and physical card type they should be interchangeable. Just ensure the Lowrance is fully functional or dirt cheap as repairs are limited to say the least. Make sure you take a look inside the chart door at the contacts for any signs of water intrusion.

fisho64
08-02-2015, 10:33 PM
if the Navionics card is an SD card it should be fine.
I just bought an HDS8gen2 also, the refresh rate of the GPS is very good.
I got it as a plotter but it has a transducer fitted as a backup, I cant say that I like Lowrance sounders at all.
In fact its a pain in the ass, have to close the chart to make any adjustments.
Good as a plotter though.

grumpysmurf
10-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Lowrance Gen 2 accepts all Navionics in SD Card format. Your Hummingbird is SD card as well, and you're likely to have the Navionics Gold card which would work fine in the Lowrance. The data may be a bit out of date, but should be usable.

The Gen 2 is much faster unit. It is not instantaneous, but good enough and fast enough not to frustrate. The Gen 1 was much slower. There is no real need for external GPS like the LGC-4000 - that provides better update of GPS fix, but does not improve screen re-draw speed.

I would consider getting the combo rather than plotter only - just so that you have a backup and an additional screen. Also, if money ain't an issue - the new Gen 3 which would be Touch screen as well as real buttons are coming soon. Along with a faster processor again.