PDA

View Full Version : Servicing new outboard without losing Warranty

Dogtoooth
03-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Can you get any qualified outboard mechanic to service your outboard, while it is still under warranty. Do they have a laptop to say that it has completed a 100 hour service, so the next service should say 200 hour's, if I went to another outboard mechanic ??. I don't want to keep getting ripped off by the dealer. Any advice would be great.

captain rednut
04-02-2015, 05:43 AM
Yes you can, as long as they are qualified and it helps if they specialize in that brand they should have the lap top?? they must be a registered marine business with the correct insurance to cover their work and most importantly they use genuine parts whilst its under warranty which helps in the event of a claim.
The log book should be stamped and signed along with you keeping the tax invoice receipt for the work.
Cheers CR

Dignity
04-02-2015, 07:23 AM
The only rider on what captain rednut said is that at times there are offers of an extra year or more of warranty but these are on the basis that the services were done through an authorized dealer, yammy had/has this deal. A bit of a a nuisance to those whose nearest dealer can be hours away.

Moonlighter
04-02-2015, 10:48 AM
The laptop software and cables for all brands, and full service manuals, are quite readily available these days from eBay and other sources. So anyone can get them.

Spaniard_King
05-02-2015, 07:18 PM
The laptop software and cables for all brands, and full service manuals, are quite readily available these days from eBay and other sources. So anyone can get them.

Buying one that actually works is another matter

rayken1938
05-02-2015, 07:28 PM
My worry is if you are getting a service from an non factory source even if fully qualified and they find an issue that is covered by warranty.
What happens
Who fixes? If you get the person doing the service to rectify do you have to pay and then have to chase the factory?
I pay the extra for a factory approved service and have a little more peace of mind.For my 30hp merc 4 banger its only 300 extra over 3 years.
Out of warranty different matter.
Cheers
Ray

Moonlighter
05-02-2015, 08:29 PM
Plenty of guys in the USA using them without much trouble, it seems, Garrry.......

Dignity
06-02-2015, 11:52 AM
My worry is if you are getting a service from an non factory source even if fully qualified and they find an issue that is covered by warranty.
What happens
Who fixes? If you get the person doing the service to rectify do you have to pay and then have to chase the factory?
I pay the extra for a factory approved service and have a little more peace of mind.For my 30hp merc 4 banger its only 300 extra over 3 years.
Out of warranty different matter.
Cheers
Ray
Ray, I had a couple of parts my replaced under warranty by my non dealer mechanic With no hassles at all.

aussiebasser
06-02-2015, 01:43 PM
I couldn't imagine a factory paying a non dealer mechanic full retail for his labour, and I couldn't imagine a non dealer mechanic discounting his labour for the factory.

Dogtoooth
06-02-2015, 02:44 PM
Yes you can, as long as they are qualified and it helps if they specialize in that brand they should have the lap top?? they must be a registered marine business with the correct insurance to cover their work and most importantly they use genuine parts whilst its under warranty which helps in the event of a claim.
The log book should be stamped and signed along with you keeping the tax invoice receipt for the work.
Cheers CR

When I brought my Suzuki df90a, I never got a log book, I just got a information manual. Do you suppose to get a log book, like a new vehicle purchase. I did my 20 hour service and got charged $400 odd bucks for new oil change, filter, and new gear oil. All I got was a receipt.

Hole Shot
06-02-2015, 06:40 PM
How is a back yarder going to be able to interpret the information,not all issues are going to show up as a fault code.