PDA

View Full Version : Swing around drawbar

Robg
03-02-2015, 01:07 PM
I am currently looking at modifying the trailer with a swing around drawbar. The trailer is a sealink dual axle which carries a Haines Breeze 580. Firstly I contacted the trailer manufacturer who tells me they do not do an aftermarket option but I can get a bolt on kit from trailcom. So I thought i'd better check with QLD transport if this kit is legal in QLD. No help there as I was told to call vehicle modifications. Spoke to someone there who told me as long as the trailer meets VSB1 all is good, no mod plates or approval required. So I have had a look though this document but I cant find any reference to a swing around drawbar. I have found another document which is referenced in VSB1, Vehicle Standard, mechanical connections between vehicles. The only reference I can find in this document in regard to folding drawbars is that the drawbar must withstand and oscillating force of 0.6xcoupling for 2 million cycles, HTF do I test this???

Has anyone else fitted a hinge to their drawbar?

Cheers.

Noelm
03-02-2015, 01:30 PM
My neighbour just built one for a 6m boat to be used at Fraser a month ago, took him a day to work out how, and built it.

Robg
03-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Cheers Noelm, but I think you are referring to an extended drawbar for beach launching? I just want to fold the drawbar to fit it in the garage:)

stockhorse
03-02-2015, 02:32 PM
If you buy an aftermarket bolt on kit the testing would have already been done to meet VSB1 standards.Ask the manufacturer when enquiring.

Robg
03-02-2015, 03:21 PM
Yep, I did check with the supplier but from his understanding there is nothing in the VSB1 standard referring to these items. I just thought someone on here may have gone through the same process as from past experiences QLD transport can make things difficult with modifications.

stockhorse
03-02-2015, 03:28 PM
The next best bet would be to ask a RWC place about it and see if they would issue a RWC or not.

stockhorse
03-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Ok just read through VSB1 and had the following confirmed by Qld police vehicle mods section.

The foldable(front) section of the attachment is the drawbar and behind the hinge is "the trailer". The drawbar must be attached to a substantial portion of the trailer (that being the section left after you cut it to fit the hinge). So all good and totally legal in Qld. the referenced section of VSB1 is below.

12. DRAWBARS, COUPLINGS, SAFETY CHAINS AND SAFETY CHAIN
ATTACHMENT
12.1 Drawbars
The drawbars must be securely attached to a substantial portion of the trailer.
The drawbars must withstand the following forces applied at the centreline of the intended
coupling without detachment or any distortion or failure which will affect the safe drawing of the
towed trailer:

cormorant
03-02-2015, 04:33 PM
As above ask the manufacturer of the kit and ask who they suggest installs it as it is a structural element of the trailer and would be best done by someone with suitable insurance for trailer modification to cover your bum in the future.The person who modify s it is permanently responsible for that modification and liability. If the trailer failed after you sold it in 5 years you might be held responsible for the modification. Not worth the possible liability if it failed and caused a accident and being uninsured for the sake of a engineer or trailer manufacturer cost fitting it these days .

Swing away / fold away drawbar by trojan

http://www.trojanparts.com.au/index.asp?pageID=2145889249

you really need to check the specs with a trailer engineer to ensure your drawbar is correct wall thickness , if it needs to be sleeved or any webbing as most trailer builders from the factory these days use the smallest thinnest section for a span and cutting that span and joining significantly changes the engineering of it.

Just a idiot test - how much length do you need to get it in the shed ? I and mates have in the past done things like below to squeeze in
angle it into shed without cutting drawbars and others may have other suggestions
motor trimmed in and tuned full lock
dropped coupling off dolly wheel to to floor
Dropped coupling to floor and made a blank infill for roller door bottom ( like you see on factory units with sloping ground) and just changed door locking slots. means garage secure with boat in it and coupling sticks out onto drive. Have done same with removable piece of 30cm high wood with hole in it for coupling and just slot it in and out each time you need to move boat in and out- 2 minutes work
mate with tin shed simply pulled a sheet of tin at back of shed where motor sticks out at back so boat went further back and used 2 other sheets and 4x2 frame to seal it up.

Moved boat further forward on trailer and also moved axle so still had same towball weight. same but added weight to rear of trailer after moving boat forward as had fixed axle position.

Changing drawbar length.
Removing coupling , shortening drawbar, sleeving it up existing drawbar with a smaller section with coupling attached and removable cross pins. So not folding but a removable sliding drawbar to engineers specs.

Where there is a will there is a chance of another way.

Still_Dreamin
04-02-2015, 06:50 AM
I have a dunbier trailer that I ordered with a fold away draw bar. I couldn't fit in the shed either by 15cm!!! Couldn't put it in on an angle as it shares with a van. Send me a PM if you want some photos of how dunbier did it.