PDA

View Full Version : What style of anchor

wayno60
02-02-2015, 07:48 PM
is everyone using in the seaway? im sick of leaving sand anchors and 15 odd meters of rope stuck under rocks!!

astro66
02-02-2015, 08:21 PM
ummmm get one with a front ring .....shackle to front ring and zippy tie to the rear .....if it gets stuck the zippy tie breaks and you pull out with the front ...had mine so long the shackle is just about rusted away lol :P

scottar
02-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Just rig the thing to trip using a couple of cable ties. The chain is attached to the tripping palm on one side of the anchor (there are usually holes drilled there) with a D shackle and the chain laid down the shank and then cable tied to the hole in the end of the shank. Enough chain is left so that the anchor can still open in either direction. This will allow you to exert enough force to break the cable ties either manually or with the boat - tied off at the bow, NOT at the stern (very important if you wish to stay afloat), and drag your pick out backwards if it gets stuck (most of the time).

wayno60
02-02-2015, 09:49 PM
I did have it set like that ages ago but I found the chain getting caught on the flukes stopping it from opening and digging in...But it was a pretty thick linked chain...

stockhorse
02-02-2015, 11:01 PM
Could somebody put up a pic or a drawing please.I find this very useful information but I don't really understand it lol ::)

Gon Fishun
02-02-2015, 11:18 PM

stockhorse
02-02-2015, 11:39 PM
Thanks Gon Fishun. Lets see if I have this right. The zip/cable tie breaks and you motor over your anchor and pull it out in the opposite direction and the anchor folds and comes out.?

Gon Fishun
02-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Thanks Gon Fishun. Lets see if I have this right. The zip/cable tie breaks and you motor over your anchor and pull it out in the opposite direction and the anchor folds and comes out.?

You got it M8. Basically that is what happens. You can adopt it to suit a large variety of anchors. That pic was the only one I found. A lot of people motor to pull up anchor, I prefer to hand raise if in shallow water.
Cheers.

Another example. Hope this helps.

scottar
03-02-2015, 06:51 AM
I did have it set like that ages ago but I found the chain getting caught on the flukes stopping it from opening and digging in...But it was a pretty thick linked chain...

Try a longer length of lighter chain Wayno. When I rig a pick lke this I make a point of lowering it to the seabed as well and laying it out to prevent the chain landing on top of it in a pile.

the gecko
03-02-2015, 01:33 PM
I found the zip ties broke too easily, like once per trip. I prefer to use a reef anchor now if there is any hint of rocks. As long as you are prepared to put out 3-5 times the depth in scope, the reef anchor will hold in sand.

I also got tired of having to cut rope to get free, so I learned to braid the rope and put a new eyelet in.

Harmytage
03-02-2015, 02:18 PM
Have you considered a sarca anchor http://www.anchorright.com.au/products/sarca-anchors

better holding power than your standard danforth anchor but can still be used and retrieved in reef / rock areas

Beard1705
04-02-2015, 10:50 PM
Why not use a reef pick, with the four prongs (if we are talking a tinny). If the anchor gets stuck the prongs can bend/give a bit with a bit of extra effort in the anchor rope slip off the rocks/reef and you can bend back into rough shape (piece of galvo pipe in the boat gives you some leverage to make it easier to bend and doubles as calmerdownerer). It it "gives" too often we have previously shortened up the prongs on an anchor to make it stiffer or harder to be pulled off, but we have never had to motor it off in our tinny. All a bit of trial and error depending on your boat size, where you fish and the tidal run. Even have specific sized anchors for specfic creeks we fish around mackay (some creeks run like buggery).
We use as short piece of chain just so it gets down a bit quicker. We carry three anchors in our tinny (one normal size pick rocks/reef and little pick as back up and handy for throwing in trees to get tinny hanging right given tide/wind) and Admilatary anchor my dad makes for sand/mud/rubble bottom. in the 6.3m fibreglass we carry Mooloolaba/Xmas tree anchor for reefs, a big reef pick as a back up and bigger Admilatary anchor for rubble,shoal/sand bottom. Individual ropes for all (would not be in a boat with just one anchor and one rope for quids). And also rig deep water heavy anchors as suggested with the chain fixed to top of the shaft and zip tied to bottom shackle. Only collected a newish sand/danforth anchor with chain of some rocks in a creek near Sarina in November. Be about half a dozen in all we have collected off rocks in 5 years...never found a reef pick though.

kind_cir
05-02-2015, 07:27 AM
Cut a 2 litre plastic juice bottle in half and put top half on the shaft of a normal reef pick. The picks dig into the sand and the juice bottle acts like a bucket of sand.

Dignity
05-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Wayno use a reef pick or sand anchor but still use the zippy tie method, I have lost reef picks before using the method described above as the heel of the anchor (where most people tie their anchor to) gets caught under a bommie or rock and you cant get it out. I alo use a couple of zippies along the shaft to keep it tidy. You only need 6 mm chain.