PDA

View Full Version : Help with sale of a boat.

Rip it up
31-01-2015, 01:19 AM
Hey guys.

I need help to sell my haines 530f ASAP for a new house deposit.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/30/bf1dc948db12705971ffb539ffa92f69.jpg
What tactics have people used to help push long a sale without losing massive dollars and letting the boat go for next to nothing.

My biggest hurdle seems to be the stigma of an older 2stroke johnson outboard. The few hits I have had have all commented that the old motor is the weak link for the boat.

Should I consider doing the swap to a 2nd hand fourstroke just for the sake of a sale. It would mean a reflected sale price for the outlay. Possibly 6000/7000 changeover for a good 2nd hand motor. Which are hard to find as it is in the 115-140hp range.

Or do I lash out and stick a new outboard on it and package it "as new" with either a 115 etec (more the weight saving) or the new Yamaha 115hp for the reputation? Both won't see much change out of $15,000 for the efforts. But then is my boat worth $35,000 after the new motor is installed?

Need your help guys trying to see the sale done before easter. Do people want a completed package, or one that only needs a motor upgrade? What would people consider a fair sale price on the boat as is?

Damo's dodgy boat building factory.

robothefisho
31-01-2015, 01:53 AM
Biggest thing is that it is clean when someone looks.

Value assuming a good trailer, reasonable electronics and good use able as is condition I would say 12.5 -14.5k. If its just a tired old 93 model somewhere around 6k.

Definitely not worth stuffing around with swapping motors. You wont gain anything.

Rip it up
31-01-2015, 04:38 AM
I can't get anybody to even look at it. But yes extremely clean boat. Just been through a full overhaul inside and out. Sitting on a custom built aluminium trailer.
Everything is extremely good working order being mostly new.

Using boat sales and gumtree as a guide these boats range from 18k as a tired original up to 28k for a newer outboard on a tired trailer.

So 14-16k seems a little low. But it is a buyers market at the moment. Not many boats are selling.

mitch92
31-01-2015, 05:14 AM
Problem is noone is spending money, especially LNG Contractors who are starting to lose their jobs.

For what it's worth I just bought a 455 Stacer tinny with a 2 stroke jonno. (in gladdy actually).

The two stroke didn't worry me, would I like a 4, yes, however for the price I was not the least bit worried about a 2.

It may unfortunately be a waiting game. Go too low and people wonder what's wrong with it to be so low.

Triple
31-01-2015, 06:23 AM
Where is it advertised besides gumtree?

Maximise your potential customer base by advertising at least on the the free sites like in the classifieds here and your local boat sales pages on facebook etc.

stevej
31-01-2015, 06:37 AM
boat point ebay gumtree all the fishing webs sites

and i fits not selling then its too expensive

FisHard
31-01-2015, 06:57 AM
It's all bad news trying to sell second hand boats atm. I had my 96 Seafarer for sale for ages and only sold it after dropping the price substantially. I gave it away in the end really, but that was what the market said. I thought $40-45k, but, as you say, I couldn't even get a looker at that, and for months. Dropped it to $35k, and sold it for $32k in just over a week.

scottar
31-01-2015, 07:04 AM
I had similar issues selling my last rig. It wasn't until I dropped the price that I started getting a few calls. First guy that looked bought it. The other issue you have is people get used to adds reading like the be all and end all, but when they get there the rig is in somewhat less than "perfect condition" - not that that's the case here. I almost think you are better off parking the thing in a high traffic area with a sign on it. That way anyone who contacts you has already seen the boat and knows it's in good nick.

FisHard
31-01-2015, 07:06 AM
Btw, having followed your rebuild and totally respecting the great work you did, I reckon the boat will fetch high teens with a modern four stroke. No offence!

fishing111
31-01-2015, 07:10 AM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rye/motorboats-powerboats/1996-haines-signature-530f-5-3metre-17-38ft-/1066914911

Don't think changing motors would be ideal as mentioned above. The one above has a 4 stroke on it and is negotiable.
Sometimes they'll sit for a while and then you'll have a stampede, however i think just stay the course unless you are going for a fire sale price. Obviously the call is yours off course, or maybe put in the add to generate interest that you will drop the price $500 a fortnight ( what ever time frame you set fortnight/month ) until sold.
I'd also put in a link to all the work you've done so people can get on Ausfish and have a look.

Rip it up
31-01-2015, 12:02 PM
All fair calls guys.

The boat is advertised everywhere I could think of from paid Internet sites, to local classifieds etc.

I have not put it at local high traffic areas yet, but that might be a good idea.

I was thinking of putting it down at the high traffic boat ramp of the area to see if a deckie without a boat might see it. The ramp is beside the VMR and somewhat safer than the side of the road.

Fire sale prices is not a great result just to move it on. But the market will tell me what it's worth.

the gecko
31-01-2015, 12:32 PM
If youre not getting lookers or offers, then your asking price is too high.

Bremic
31-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Is the boat in Gladstone? Would relocating it to Brisbane help with more people able to have a look and kick the tyres? Perhaps stick it in your ad that you will bring it down on a particular weekend for interested parties to have a look.

Rip it up
31-01-2015, 05:03 PM
I have added to my advertisement that transport to Brisbane is available.

If I could get an interested person I would bend over backwards to help out.

Shark Poker
31-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Damo,
Have loved all your work and posts, but the price is a bit high, mate.
A mate & I sold our 560 Haines, same year (1994) a bit over a year ago for $17k. On a later model trailer. And it was very clean and tidy - (you have seen my work).
And you are advertising in January, being after Xmas. Which is not as good timing as in Oct/Nov leading up to Xmas.
The suggestion that you put a link to the work you applied is OK, but in this case lose the "Damo's dodgy...." For new spiers might not appreciate that as we all do.
If you continue to put as much effort into marketing and selling it as you do in rebuilding and improving them, you WILL sell it sometime soon.
In the meantime keep using the rig regularly. That really helps with your presentation and credibility.
PM or phone me if you wish to chat or catch up.
Good luck with the sale and especially your new house.

Rip it up
31-01-2015, 07:27 PM
Yeah thanks sharkie.

The price will be dropping each fortnight at this stage. I've just got to accept that I will be making a loss on the boat despite all the hard work.

Yes the boat continues to be used regularly. And I am past the "don't scratch it" stage.

A boats value is only justified while being used 100km offshore filling Eskies. Not sitting in the yard as a lawn ornament.

If I lose money then I can justify it by the hours of enjoyment that the project has created. In the end it's only money.

chuss
31-01-2015, 10:20 PM
Have you tried going to a car/boat wholesaler? Either someone from a dealership or independent? I recently sold off a quintrex coast runner, the wholesaler gave me $2500 more than my highest private offer. Had the boat advertised for $18k, got offers between $12-15k, wholesaler snapped it up for $17500.

Rip it up
31-01-2015, 10:25 PM
Never heard of such animals there chuss.

Can you supply the details of the person/company you used. This might be worth a look into.

Cheers

MyWay
01-02-2015, 12:04 PM
can you post your link of the add

seashawgal
01-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Can't you sell it on consignment at John Crawford marine or the like? I think the boat needs to be in Brisbane, thats where most people come to look on the whole. You have a great brand boat & as you say a great trailer, yes the 2 stroke brings the whole lot down but not worth changing. I bought a Whittley Impala 5.3 with a 90 Merc 2 stroke both 2005 models with a mackay trailer (which I am in the process of replacing as back has rusted out) for $19,000 18 months ago at Dolphin marine Maroochydore on consignment. The guy was trying to sell it for $25,000 then $23,000 then $21,000 etc but people thought it was too small, or too big etc etc. It was perfect for me as it's an all rounder & we can sleep in the cuddly cabin. I'd love a 4 stroke but the 2 stroke it so good I can't justify the cost. How old is your hull? There is a lot of competition of course but having said that patience is a virtue. Maybe take it off the market for a while and try again in a couple of months. Can you muster up the deposit for the house in any other way, think outside the square. Good luck, Rossy

Rip it up
01-02-2015, 01:40 PM
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gladstone/motorboats-powerboats/haines-signature-530f/1054606993

Scalem
01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Don't know the work you have done, apologies if the following have already been done and I am preaching to the converted. It might just be the time of year when people are still licking their wounds after a big Christmas credit card debt.

My last boat was a tad smaller glass runabout, but I had Arnold's do a written report of the seaworthiness of the hull. It was helped by the fact they replaced floor and tyranny a few years prior, so they would have been confident in their own work, but if you can get a glass repairer to do an inspection I think it would help. Any potential glass buyer would respect that you have obtained a professional assessment.
Same with the motor, all receipts of work were neatly filed in date order, oldest to the most recent service where I asked the dealer to clearly state compression check results and anything that a potential buyer would want to know. The motor was the grey 70hp Johnson 2s.
You might want to then include "all workshop service receipts available"

Cut and polish all exterior paint work.

Good luck,

Scalem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prowl n Wolf
01-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Mate, first off I will say you have done a great job on the rebuild.

Second, I'm a huge fan of the older Haines boats.

Without being negative, the boat is 22 years old with a older 2 stroke engine that is located 6 hours from brisbane.

In my opinion, your price is optimistic.

The engine and location of the boat is against you.

Reality is a buyer would be wanting to re-power your boat. Let's say a new donk at $10k brings the boat up to $35k.

Again mate, it's only my opinion and I hope you get what you are after.

Tony.

Rip it up
01-02-2015, 05:09 PM
I am happy to receive the critic of the package.
I based my price on other similar boat packages from advertised prices on other site.

I thought the hull shape and restoration was enough to carry the old outboard through. As I can not fault the motor apart from its fuel economy.

What I find strange is that I can not get anybody to even throw a stupid lowball offer on the table. Most people know what money they want spend and want to negotiate a higher price down.

I think it's a reflection of the nervous luxury toy market with not many sales.

Rip it up
01-02-2015, 05:11 PM
I have stumbled across a 2009 115hp Yamaha fourstroke. For $6500. Would that create better market value.
To be able to sell for 25k plus?

Darren Mc
01-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Just have to ask, why do you have Damo's dodgy boat building factory or boat repairs on your posts.
Just curious because from your posts sounds like you do pretty good work and that short sentence would put anyone off.

Rip it up
01-02-2015, 07:48 PM
Hey Darren that sentence is a signature I put on every post. Because I do a lot of cashie work at home for dodgy boat repairs.

And if someone was to be concerned about the boat's condition because of a signature on a forum. I don't think they really should be buying a used boat.

Darren Mc
01-02-2015, 08:06 PM
Yeah most people on this forum have read your previous posts on different subjects and like me probably think you seem to know what your doing. Most likely who ever ends up buying your boat will indeed get a good buy and there's a high chance they wouldn't have ever been on this forum anyhow.
Wasn't having a go at ya i just thought it was a shame to put that on ya signature when you give good not dodgy advice.

Rip it up
01-02-2015, 08:12 PM
Yeah thanks darren. The signature is a little comedy take on the questions I face on a daily basis. I have often thought of creating a small business using a similar catch phrase.

Tangles
01-02-2015, 09:03 PM
Damo

Ive been trying to buy a good second tinny for a while now and basically given up and will most likely go new…also most on gumtree who are negotiable are not, ie a couple of hundred bucks, they also consider that a 1000 buck sounder 5 years ago is still a thousand buck sounder today?

Ive found sellers seem to have an unrealistic value of it compared to a new package…. Ive tried to break it down on ads that interest me and wont bother if i feel its too close to a new package price,

ie a good hull, trailer is worth x and then usual issue is the motor. Where the issue arises is motor which often you need to think about a re-power, factor that in and your in new boat territory with an old hull and why bother as you have an old hull which you dont know how its treated.

How much is that old Jonno really worth if you sell it privately? take that off the price and then ask what your really asking for the hull/trailer is worth and also its a private resto no offence.

Even looking at a tinny im looking at what is the sounder, motor etc and what do i need to do to personalise the the boat, if thats too much bucks then look for the next one..

personally whats the hull/trailer worth and then motor, it has to make sense to a guy who will re-power it and i'd let them do it, i wouldnt spend the bucks on that re-power , because even with a nice re-power its still an older boat privately restored and i reckon you wouldnt get your money back.

Cheers
Mike

Rip it up
01-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks mike.

The motor is a hard one to value. No one wants the old 2 bangers. But I found some very optimistic motors online. Here is the closest match. http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121558777475

So halve that and call it $2000.
The trailer is the main reason I bought the boat. Full aluminum c section chassis. New rollers, axle, springs everything new with the resto. My value, $4000.
The hull. Whilst it is a 1993 model. That's original gelcoat not a respray. Good solid condition everywhere. The resto did replace some bad bulkheads but is now better for it. A fair price $8000 hull only.
Then it's all fit out items. And it all adds up from fuel tanks, deck pumps, electronics, upholstery and safety gear. To buy it all new again, which most of it is, $5000.

So that's where I'm sitting with some rough figures. I know that a new boat can be purchased for similar money if pushed hard. But it's the extras and fit out level that will be missing in a new boat. You still need to add so much gear into a new boat to get it where you want it.

I sound like I'm trying to justify my price range, but I don't want to end up advertising my boat at bare minimum against the boat yards advertised prices for the same boat. Would you consider my boat if it priced at $15,000 against the rest of them?
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/01/809f09cd0e8958d5fe0167ba814a5ce9.jpg

The Black Unicorn
02-02-2015, 06:42 AM
Mate its a great looking boat but its just too dear. A new repower will be over the 15k mark so makes it a $40k plus! Drop it down to 20 and you may get high teens for it. ( Not bent teenagers )

JulianDeMarchi
02-02-2015, 08:30 AM
When I sold my old Stacer I gutted it of the electronics. Having the fancy electronics on her did not affect what people where going to buy the boat for. My advice is keep your electronics and shave 5K of the price, they are not worth a penny when selling with your boat really.

LittleSkipper
02-02-2015, 09:26 AM
Perhaps if you change your signature to ' Damo's Dodgy Boat Building Repairs' instead of using the word 'Factory' that way people will know you repair dodgy work and not manufacturer it. Just a thought!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fed
02-02-2015, 12:21 PM
OK I've had a good look at the ad and here's my take for what it's worth.

Knowing the rebuild background the boat looks like it presents as new and you could probably show this with sharper & more detailed pictures. Having said that Pics #6 & 7 in your ad seem to let it down.
(#6 Ugly bare fuel tank + tranny? wiring & #7 ugly ropes?)

I think if you're getting no calls on it then it has to be a location problem, anyone looking for a similar boat would surely check it out but not at 400 Kms from the nearest traffic lights.

$25K Neg ---->$20K = OK price but add in the location and I'd be clicking on the next one for sale.

I guess you just have to find the right sort of local guy, could take a week or a year.

The boat's a credit to you & good luck with the sale.

Rip it up
02-02-2015, 05:40 PM
Thank fed.

Good feedback from the advertising. I will be considering removing the advert next week and giving it a break. a new set of photos will be done and better pricing point.

Still very hung up on going to a Yamaha 4st to regain some resale ability. Even if it means a small loss now. It's still better than waiting a year for a buyer with the old two stroke and still lose a few grand.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.

JulianDeMarchi
02-02-2015, 05:59 PM
Thank fed.

Good feedback from the advertising. I will be considering removing the advert next week and giving it a break. a new set of photos will be done and better pricing point.

Still very hung up on going to a Yamaha 4st to regain some resale ability. Even if it means a small loss now. It's still better than waiting a year for a buyer with the old two stroke and still lose a few grand.

I know in my expereince that with a boat in the figures you're talking where people have to get a loan, they won't look at boats which will be over 10 years old at the end of the loan period. Keep this in mind before pouring capitial in, for which you might not be able to recoup for your new home.

Rip it up
02-02-2015, 06:02 PM
The home situation is pretty well sorted out now. Cash was saved for the deposit Over the time the boat has been for sale. Just would like some breathing room after the deposit is taken by the bank. So the value in the boat would be used for the little details that are required after we move in. But that's 6 months away.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.

Rip it up
14-02-2015, 07:33 PM
So I've jumped off the bridge and decided to go for the Yamaha 115.

At a $4000 change over price.

Will I get it back in the resale? God only knows.

The main benefit is that any sale is better than 6 months of dormant action.

I get the benefit of using the motor for a few months whilst it's advertised too. Full digital command link gauges will let me moniter fuel burn and potentially save me over $100 per trip.

I will post photos up as I perform the swap.

Cheers.

Bremic
15-02-2015, 04:39 AM
That doesn't sound too bad a price, even if you don't get your money back, if it induces a sale it will be a win for you.

Rip it up
19-02-2015, 02:45 PM
A little teaser pic until I wire it all up.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/18/17f4d1eaed76da6c6b87141d43d39dc6.jpg

PatricsOnTheCoast
22-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Looks great! Now lets see if you still wanna sell it after using it with the new motor :P I've heard heaps of people change their mind and keep a boat because of how much different/better it is with a new motor.
I know I would love to repower mine as its an old thirst and heavy force by mercury. In saying that my boats shit, I'll be honest so I doubt I'll go through with a repower...